Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Gary tried to kill me yesterday

in a good way ...

i blacked out at some point during the day ... but i think he picked me up near the crack of dawn.. and dragged me all over SE MI .. looking at hosta .. lol ..

my reaction at the link ... i needed a little bike time after ... lol ...

he can start his own thread/post if he cares to blather on about it all ... AND HE BETTER ...

i just wanted to say thanks for driving ... next time.. lets remember to eat and get water.. etc ... [at least i didnt forget to breath ... who needs to eat .. or hydrate .. lol]

ken

ps: dont go to a mail order hosta joint on sunday afternoon ... they are kinda focused on monday shipments .. its kinda hard to stand around.. manuring the fields... while money is flashing behind their eyes ... an extended thank you to said unknown seller ... and that other guy with the minor garden ... you know who you are .. lol ... and i am sure gary will tell all ... i just wanted to build a buzz .... and send a thanks ...

pps: anyone else meet any hosta gurus in the last week or two????

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Comments (10)

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

Sounds like a perfect day. Were there purchases involved?? New discoveries? Fodder for forum action? Tell more!
    Jan

(The link wasn't the one I expected!)

• irawon
    9 years ago

Glad, you're O.K., Ken! What would GW be without your expertise...and wit? My daughter (a personal trainer) reminds me all the time to hydrate (and eat), especially when out gardening in the hot sun.

Sounds like you had a fun day. Nice that you had Gary to share it with. Hope to hear the rest of the story.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what were you expecting.. blues brothers .. lol ...

i didnt buy any hosta...

i got a piece of a slightly invasive reseeder ... lol ... i think gary will know the name ... lol ..

crikey ... i remembered .. lol ... go figure .... see link ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Pictures or it didn't happen! LOL

Glad you had fun, and hey going out in a field of hostas would definitely be my choice of 'ways to go'.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

It was nice to see you guys. I tried to multitask but sorry you didn't have my full attention. Wish I could have gone with you to see the Wilkins' garden.

I was surprised to see Ken with camera in hand and told him that pictures were okay as long as they all didn't include my backside in the air while digging hostas.

Thanks for the visit.

Chris

• Eleven
    9 years ago

In the last couple weeks, I saw a couple of the same gurus you guys did, but that's it :) Now I'm busy trying to get as much in the ground as possible before my local nursery has its annual flashlight sale. I planted and/or moved 22 plants yesterday! Kinda thankful it's raining so I can't go outside today.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Chris' post got me thinking, there's already a Mary's White Backside hosta. I think a whole Backside series could be possible. :)

Just sayin'

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary's White Backside

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Ken was perfectly safe yesterday.(But if I can ever get him to name me as the recipient of his hosta collection upon his death.... just saying.) Ken is the perfect travelling companion as you can get a very good working knowledge of growing hostas, plus the history behind many of the "Masters". I can only give you one picture as a tease because as soon as Jim Wilkins came out to join us, I was totally loss and amazed at his garden.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Ok, just one more picture, before I got lost in the woods.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I had the pleasure of visiting the Wilkins' garden back in 2012 with the American Conifer Society. Did someone mention a white backside?

Of course I was focused on conifers, not hosta, but did manage a few hosta pics.

Conifers just seemed to stand out, for some reason.

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 22:34