Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta 'Olympic Gold'

Posted by brucebanyaihsta VA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 8:40

As requested, here is a photo of Hosta 'Olympic Gold' taken this morning. That plant has montana and nigrescens parentage, as I recall.

It is still holding up quite well given the high temps we have experienced this year and the lack of watering ( on my part).

2012 Hosta 'Olympic Gold'

Bruce Banyai

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta 'Olympic Gold'

Bruce, that scape with all the pods looks like a cluster of fruit. Drupes might be the term.

Thanks for the photo.

o

Thank you so much for posting this, Bruce.

Steve

o

I have, it seems, this evening off, because we're getting rain, and are expected to get more rain, over the next several days, so even though we have tours scheduled tomorrow and the next day, I don't have to race around to give all of the 'baby's' a 'lick and a prayer' of water to try to keep them all 'perky', ahhhh.

So this evening I've been perusing Hosta related sites, and find the esteemed Bruce's post, this post, very interesting, along with his other recent posts regarding fragrant flowering Hosta.

Since a famous HostaHolic has, publicly admitted on this humble forum, that even he has had, this year, trouble keeping up on watering treasured Hosta, I don't feel so bad that I've been struggling.

Now, if only he and other more esteemed Hosta Folk (that would be a difficult group to define), would confirm that other Hosta folk also failed to, as I did, to realize that the 2-3 week early season meant that the slug/cutworm/etc bait/poison schedule needed to be bumped up by as many weeks.

I hope I will forever remember to adjust my slug/cutworm/etc baddies bait/poison regime timing to the current year's schedule!

fwiw,

hh

o

Hosta 'Olympic Gold' is a very nice hosta to have!
Bruce's hostas also in other posts do not show any heat effect, must be watering them a lot more than I do.
HH, I am certainly not esteemed, but I had the nematodes come 2 weeks early, but less intense due to me spraying a Bayer insecticide. I notice also that slugs come back more often, so the usual 1/month was not good enough. Bernd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here