Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogirlterri

Fading Markers

gogirlterri
10 years ago

We are all rather creative and have various ways of marking our hostas for identity. They have been covered here often. My problem is more specific.

I have tried a number of different marking medium and all but paint pens seem to fade after one season so where they can't be read the next 1 or 2. Paint pens work but if I only need to make a dozen markers, the pen dries out so a new one needs be bought every year or sooner. Another problem with paint pens is that when writing on rocks the felt tip turns to mush.

What do you members use? I see so many hand written tags that look so perfect.

Theresa Ann

Comments (29)

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

We make our own markers out of aluminum because it doesn't rust. We buy the sheets of aluminum at Metalmart and cut it to size depending on the length you need. The stalks are also bought as a long rod and cut to size. The name plate is then riveted to the stalk. The name printed out on a Brother P Touch labeler. I have found these to be long lasting. Here's a picture.
    {{gwi:752788}}

• User
    10 years ago

I like the broad flat metal stakes. Seems you can bend those at the point you like, and add the rivet to the flat plate with the name. This looks perfect for in the ground. I'm mulling over it as a solution in a pot.

I have several paint pens I've tried, and hope they don't dry out so quickly as Theresa notes. The tips do tend to mush up on me, even when I am writing on metal.

It's my belief that no one system is going to do it all. I cannot make a drawing of my garden to know where each hosta is as reliably as you who plant in the ground. What is in the shade of the brick patio this week could be in the shade beneath the pecans next week. It flows like a river around here.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

We make our own metal markers, and I've tried various things but what lasts the longest for me are grease marking pencils. This year I tried nursery marking pens, which are supposed to be non-fading but this is the first season so I can't say how long it will last. I have used paint pens on some of mine and so far it has held up for over 3 years.

The only thing with the grease pencils is that sometimes it's difficult to write neatly and winds up looking like a first-grader wrote it, lol!

Sandy

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

You have to use a label maker, like the Brother P-Touch mentioned above, with labels made for use outdoors. Then they won't fade. Otherwise try the copper (expensive) labels and use a ball point pen to impress the writing on the label. Then it doesn't matter if it fades. The writing is still there.

Steve

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

For cheap labels - pick up some white or cream color window blinds at a garage sale (often free if you ask) and cut to about 6" long. Write on them with a lead pencil (standard yellow pencil) - it won't wash off or fade. I use these for my seedlings.

Label below has No Exp 2011 OP --> Northern Exposure 2011 Open Pollination.

Paul

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

i buy the markers in bulk. then i label both sides using a perm marker. if the front fades, the back is usually still readable. i also get further anal and put a plastic plant ID tag underground at 10 o'clock. If above ground gets lost, underground is still there.

we won't mention the woefully out of date map and the index cards, abd the excel program....

• timhensley
    10 years ago

I also use cut up blinds with a #2 pencil for seedlings. I also use a P Touch label by Brother with the exterior fade resistant labels for permanent plants. Everything else just doesn't last.

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

Theresa,
    It sounds like you use rocks for markers? If so, have you tried using a clear spray sealer? You can get it at any craft store.

I've never used rocks for labels, but in the past I have used ink on plastic blinds, and they always faded. So I mark my seedlings in pencil, and they don't fade. For my permanent hostas I now use clear acrylic cut in strips and etch the name in with an engraver.

Wendy

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

I get plant markers from Kincaid. I love them. They are very sturdy. Stands up and won't get crumpled from the snow. Deer can't crush them. I use the p touch label maker by brothers. Extra strength tape.

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

I use a P-Touch printer ,white plastic T- labels and TZ 151 Clear Tape(weather proof and fade proof) 1" .(I ran one thru' the washer once and it came out perfect.) I print on both sides of the label so you can see the name coming and going! (Did someone mention Anal!) Some have been in the yard for a year and are holding up well. The wire legs on some of the markers bend when I try and stick them in the ground, cause I am on an old rock quarry so the plastic works better unless of course I hit a rock!(It's always something!)

• User
    10 years ago

Rosie, can you show us a picture of how you print on both sides to show at the same time? What kind of markers do you have? Acrylic strips? And what kind of tape sticks, I think I am confused here.

My tape from Brothers does not print on both sides that I know of. Of course, I'm just getting used to it now.

If I can see what you are talking about, I think I'd get it. :) Thanks.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I made labels with a Brother printer and stuck the labels on Paw Paw Everlast markers. They looked good for the one year they were out. But then I noticed, that I would step on them and could not rake around them in fall. So I pulled all 200+ out, cleaned them and saved them in the basement. I have a map and list of my garden in Excel, no more raking problems.
    Otherwise old blinds with pencil markings do OK, but squirrels love to break them off or pull them out. You need to put a notch into that piece of blind witch is underground to keep it sticking there. Nothing is perfect. Bernd

• egflynn
    10 years ago

I also make my own. The recipe is aluminum valley flashing (about $5 for a 10' roll) cut into 2" x 3" rectangles, a hole puncher, a steel letter stamping set from Harbor Freight (about $8), and 16-gauge galvanized wire (about $6 for a 200' roll). They are economical, easy to read, and look pretty good ... though I tuck them away behind the leaves so they can't really be seen. It takes a little time to make them but the cost savings is worth it. The less I spend on tags means the more I can spend on hostas. :-)

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Moc, I didn't explain very well! I print 2 labels and put one on each side of the tag so I can see the name sort of coming and going! The tags are 2 X 11/4 so there is room for 3 lines if you need them. They are from a co. called Bosmere, Inc and I order them on line. My only problem with them so far is I think the squirrels play 'tag' with them some times. I also make 'maps' of my islands. (again anal)

• kalija
    10 years ago

I use stones with a paint pen and then spray with clear acrylic spray. I got the painters pen from walmart - and the tip has held up well for me. This is the first year for this so I don't know how well they will hold up to a Rochester winter, but I have high hopes!

Deja Blue with a stone marker.....

• paul_
    10 years ago

I, too, find that a (#1 or #2 ) pencil outlasts marker.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

I love the rock idea. Our mg group uses it on the plants on the corners, or 'dog ears' of the town square, set aside for plantings (usually annuals because of the salt issue in winter) but sometimes the rock fairies come out to play their mischievous games in the dead of night ... or winter.

ÃÂ_ÃÂ --~

dave

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wendy, in answer to your question yes: that is how we've made our rock markers. They are painted a base color, usuaslly seafoam green, and then marked with the paint pens, or if the rock is attractive we clear seal it. After marking the entire rock is coated with a satin Krylon exterior spray paint. It does last and looks nice.

Considering the cost of paint pens and cans of spray paint I can't say it is inexpensive though. Paul, I haven't tried blinds. I did buy white plastic garden markers and pencil writing, but the lead washed off. Would a clear overspray like the Krylon seal the pencil lead onto the marker, you think?

Theresa Ann

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

I've been using the painted stones now for a few years and pretty much happy with them. The first one has been outside year around for 3 years now and no sign of fading. This year I am putting a stone sealer on to enhance and maybe preserve the paint longer.
    I'm no artist but with a little imagination you could make them look much nicer if ya wanted.
    My biggest problem now is finding enough suitable stones.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

This is the other picture (couldn't figure how to post multiple pics.)

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

When I was hybridizing daylilies, I used to get lengths of 1/4" plumber grade PVC pipe (the regular will deteriorate over time with the sun) and cut them into 18" lengths. Then I used a labeler for the names. They would last for many years.

I have since taken out all of my markers because it is easy to just mow the hosta and daylily beds in the fall. Of course, I don't know the names any more and I don't care. Many of those markers had been in the ground for over 10 years and the names were still there.

• User
    10 years ago

OldDirt, if you use the GWeb image uploader, then only one per post. With the HTML code found in Flickr or Photobucket, you can upload multiples. Not a problem doing them separately so do what suits you best.

And Ryse, sounds like you have a plan which works for you. My garden is primarily in containers, so the name tags are more important, and mowing is out of the question. But I like the PVC lengths. It might, with a larger diameter pipe, be a good way to get water to the root ball in a drought too. Just make sure the pipe is not filled with soil or potting mix. I have some unused PVC pipe, might try it in a couple of large pots.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

You use a MOWER???!!!!!! Auuuuggghhhhh! How can you do that?

(Is it good for the hostas to be totally chopped off like that?)

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Actually, I use a DR brush cutter because my mower couldn't handle some of the tough stalks of perennials. I wait until late fall when everything is completely died back. I am old and I am dealing with acres. If I couldn't do clean-up this way, I simply wouldn't have the numbers of gardens I now grow.

The mowing has never hurt anything and it is all nice and neat in the spring. Also, I don't rake any dead stuff -- it is a great way to self-mulch. My ground is rich and fertile. I used to leave it all and go over it with the mower in the spring but prefer doing it in the fall so the refuse can decompose under the snow over the winter. Yes, the birds don't get the seeds from pods this way but they have acres woods with plenty of spent wild flowers to forage through.

• User
    10 years ago

Ryse, I totally understand what you're saying. As I get older, I'm making accommodations to be able to continue gardening, and if it involves "clearcutting" then so be it. It is a very good option where you have real winters. In south Alabama, I cannot say we have a "real" winter.

Question:
    How do you manage the snow? My DH stopped shovelling, had a nice snowblower, but he gave it to his neighbor who continued cleaning the driveway until he sold that house.
    Just wondered what adjustments you make for this very strenuous work during the wintertime.

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Years before we had a plow that would go on the ATV but last year it broke. We had little snow, fortunately so we just drove the ATV up and down the (long and hilly) driveway to get the snow packed enough for us to get out. Our RAV 4 is 4- wheel drive so it was possible.

In the winter we only go into town about once every week or two because even the country road we live on is often not passable. An average of 2 cars go by on it daily!

This may sound unacceptable to some but we absolutely love our 'paradise'.

• halds
    10 years ago

I have struggled with fading markers, markers getting lost, even the stone written markers disappearing or getting knocked to an adjacent plant. I finally decided to use digital technology. I now take photos of each segment of the garden, at spring, summer and fall, using a panorama lens and others closer up, so that large area can be canvassed but still provide detail. Be sure to include architectural details that can not disappear ( e.g. fence, path, tree, etc.) as landmarks.

On the computer I label every plant, and keep print outs in a garden journal.

No more markers needed. But you need to keep notes whenever you change or move a plant and redo the photos.

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The problem of relying on our computers is, as Moc has commented, is when our high tech is lost. We need hard backup.. I make drawing sketches of my gardens in such an event. But in a week or so my GF Cheryl is bringing a friend to see my hostas, and I don't want to burden her with a book of sketches.

Theresa

• halds
    10 years ago

gogirl,

That is why you make print outs....much easier than sketching...