Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

refresh my memory on something different

does it green.. or center out .. later in the summer ...

i am not sure.. what is behind the tag.. is the plant it is supposed to be ...

ken

bruce.. can you hear me now... lol ..

Comments (11)

• brucebanyaihsta
    10 years ago

Ken,

It may "center" out but most often I have seen it behave just the same as Gold Standard.

Will not green up in the center.

Bruce

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Thanks, Bruce... that is one of your mom's registrations, isn't it?

I don't grow it, but I think of this as an improved Gold Standard... coloring up faster in the spring.

(Wow... didn't know until I looked it up that Pauline also registered Gold Standard, way back in 1976. The sport listing shows 103 sports from GS - what a star!)

But I did notice that Marco Fransen says on his website

"Green leaves with a yellow center in spring and turns green later in the season, a sport of 'Gold Standard'.

Makes you wonder is something happened in production to result in a strain that does green up.

Ken - is yours greening up?

(and since we've gotten a good answer...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the plant... near the label.. is all green ...

two options ...

its either SD .. already green ....

or its not .. lol ...

do i pot up a greeny.. and hope for the best ... or just presume its lost ????

i do NOT recall it as a GS look alike... BECAUSE .... its name would be stupid ... lol ...

in my recollection ..... its not GS.. its SOMETHING DIFFERENT.... and that is the mind trick.. for me .. that triggered that it was different.. than GS ...

now... of course.. i am rather leery of arguing with bruce about it all ... so what the heck do i know ...

ken

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Well Ken your first post is about cryptic as you get.....

does it green.. or center out .. later in the summer ...

i am not sure.. what is behind the tag.. is the plant it is supposed to be ...

ken

bruce.. can you hear me now... lol ..

What was the subject of this discussion, I assume it was carryover from another discussion......but heck if I can figure out what you are discussing. Care to fill us in?

Paul

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

paul????

H. Something Different ..

any help???

do you have that hosta?????

ken

ps: idiot.. i thought about the python reference.. when i did the title ...

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Amazing what a couple of capital letters will do to comprehension.

Sorry, never heard of it till this discussion.

Paul

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Nobody can expect to stay current on all the hosta names, Paul... but more importantly, have you ever seen "And Now For Something Completely Different" ???

It is arguably garden-related as it has numerous references to "The Larch!"

and has this plant-related sketch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltmMJntSfQI

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Paul, thanks for asking your question. I already thought I really was done in now and the cognitive problems during aging got me too now. Bernd

• User
    10 years ago

Well, I was puzzled at first, and then the key was Ken wondering if Bruce could hear him now.....

That's when I opened the Hosta Library, and indeed saw that Ms. Banyai had Something Different in the library. And then it made sort of cryptic sense, reading between the lines.

Sure has made me curious about this hosta, and since I also like the Gold Standard and Banyai's Dancing Girl that I have already, it seems that I'm putting Something Different on the Spring shipping list, being ordered this fall if at all possible.

Thanks, Ken. I like your style. Potting up a hosta? That is a good one. hehehehehehe.....ran out of digging space I guess.

• brucebanyaihsta
    10 years ago

If it is all green it is not 'Something Different".....

Could be a reversion to Fortunei hyacynthina, which is where Gold Standard came from.

Marco must not have the correct Something Different , as it will not be all green at all, anytime.

Are you referencing the cover of the AHS Journal a few issues ago and the article on the name which I contributed in the last AHS Journal?

Bruce

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Bruce, just to let you know I AM trying... I can't find your name for the life of me...more coffee please. Sigh.