Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Virginia Reel is finally available!

On surfing Plant Delights website (which I do very, very often, LOL, since they are local to me) I noticed that they have a few new offerings in Hosta that just went up on their website. The stand-out was Virginia Reel, which, up until now, hasn't been available at all, from what Tony is saying. Thought you guys would want to know about it's current availability!

Here's a link to the offering and the pic from Plant Delight's website.

Virginia Reel at Plant Delights

Comments (9)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

It's up at In the Country, too. I've been looking at it, but it seems to be a smaller version of Autumn Frost. Love AF, just not sure I need another one.

Has anyone seen it in person? Is it going to be a case of Striptease/Gypsy Rose where the plants are almost identical?

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link. Very nice small, always room for one this size. ITCG description notes that VR resembles a half-sized version of 'First Frost'. A hybrid of 'Crepe Suzette Streaked' x 'Riptide'.

Paul

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, that's interesting, Paul. I have Autumn Frost and don't want a repeat, but I have always admired First Frost and would love to have a half-size of that one. I really wish I would have seen this one before I picked up my order just last week from them :( It is a good little drive for me and I hate to do it for just one hosta.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Funnthsun....grab a companion for the ride and goooooo is what I'd do...I'd get one for same reason you stated! Lol. Beautiful colours and shape on that one. You need the excuse also...."well, since I'm driving all that way, may as well make it worth my while and get a few more" ...more lol

The "less is more" adage does not apply to hosta, does it

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I don't know about Autumn Frost and Virginia Reel... I'm holding firm to my "no chasing the new ones until I clear out some of the old ones" resolution...

But MadPlanter - your comment about Striptease and Gypsy Rose surprised me. I think my garden plants of the two are quite distinctively different... I've seen other Striptease sports I had some doubts about, but not these two... hmmm... gonna take another look when I'm out today. I don't grow them side by side - I have Gypsy Rose next to Kiwi Full Monty - great contrast - and near Risky Business (which seems to get overlooked as one of the very best narrow-white centered hostas...)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, Josephine! Too true! Plant delights has already got me several times this season. They are a bit pricier, but for locals its worth every penny b/c you can pick up monster-sized hostas that they would never mail out. I just got a luna moth from them that is probably 2.5-feet across already. I'll pay extra for that!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Maybe I need to take a closer look, idiothe. They're not in sight of each other, so I haven't noticed any difference other than size. I just would rather have something that looks like a "new and different" hosta in the space I've got left.

Now that I've said that, we'll be near In The Country in a couple weeks. Just watch me come home with Virgina Reel. Royal Wedding , Joy Ride, and Cool as a Cucumber look pretty tempting, too. At that point I might as well get the collection for $110. and have Flash Forward and Island Breeze, too. NO, NO, Bad Chris. Control yourself!

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

This is the time of year when some of next year's new introductions are sent to nurseries as TC plants. Sometimes these can be quite small, so you want to inquire of your vendor what size plant you can expect for your $28.

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd be surprised if plant delights ever sold anything small when it came to hosta but good info to note. I guess that's another perk of picking up from them, you can stand there and yell refund, lol, if you don't like what they hand you. I do hate when I get a dormant plant from them, but have always gotten gigantic hostas. That pot of what just seems like dirt, though, makes you want to dig around to be sure there's something under there!