Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasmith

Hosta Plans

hostasmith
10 years ago

I thought I would share some of my plans for Hostas.

This is looking out our kitchen window facing West at noon. I have a 5' x 25' area tilled up behind the garage now. Hopefully I can get them in the ground this week.

Here is the layout I plan on using.

I also built a 12' x 20" x 12" raised bed between a shed and the house that is going to be home to some of my extra Hostas, till I can find a permanent home for them. I will get a picture later.

Comments (15)

• Eleven
    10 years ago

I love seeings other people's plans =)

But I want to caution you on using a couple of these, just so you know what can happen.

Great Expectations - a dud or just extremely slow grower for a lot of people, I wouldn't expect any size from it
    Dream Queen - doesn't die but is very slow to grow
    Pilgrim - good, fast grower, but has thin leaves that fried for me in too much sun
    Lakeside Cupcake - thin leaves and white centers, I'd expect it to look rough most summers

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Is this by the wall and the propane bottles? If some don't work, you can always move them and replace if not suited. How are you going to "hide" the propane tanks? Vines or trellis or lattice or live with them? Beats the wood pile so we built a lean on the shed and I planted a 40 foot wall of vines and hosta. I keep trying to lose the view of my DH's large work shed and machines and keep moving the no trespassing zone farther back. Not too bad if it is kept tidy but that aint going to happen so far anyway lol
    This will be so nice to view when it grow and keep the pictures coming

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    10 years ago

Some of those projected sizes are way off....especially Yellow River.

• kentstar
    10 years ago

I plan to shovel prune Great Expectations and my Risky Business that I received from HD that was supposed to be a "mature division" yeah right. Great Expectations (bought somewhere else than HD) failed miserably to live up to my expectations after 3 years. Frances Williams that is still very small but I still see potential in, so I am planning on moving her to a better sight (now if only I can find room in a better sight lol).

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looks cool...I would switch spots for halcyon and yellow river, I think. Yellow River will get huge. : )

Don B.

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a newer layout, with images. I moved Yellow River down to the East end, where it can grow over. I moved some so there were no white centers next to each other. I also switched places on unknown gold and unknown upright, not in this layout.

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duplicate post!

This post was edited by smithstudios71 on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 16:09

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what I got done today.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I have of those meditating monks from Bali in our window. Hostas are movable feast, and there are so many, if one or two don't fulfill your expectations for color and size, you can always move them or get another that is similar in color, but different in size. Getting started is the hardest part and you've already done that. Oh, and you don't necessarily have to have such a straight line, a few curves are always eye-pleasing, but that can change as the hostas grow. Well done!

-Babka

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Looks good! Dream Queen will take a while to grow, but I'd give her a 3 or even 4 ft. circle. Of course, it will take years to look full, so maybe just moving things as they mature is best. Is the far end of the bed sunnier? If so, I'd move GE there and Halcyon to the shadier end. My fastest growing GE is in half day sun. It seems to like a lot of sun and water.

I can't wait to get going on my new bed, but until the old truck is repaired, no compost and no progress. Apparently parts for a '77 Jeep are hard to come by.

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is my Laughing Buddha, you are supposed to rub his big Buddha belly for good luck! There is going to be my rain barrels on the other side of the Halcyon, hopefully that will provide almost all day shade. I am putting a pine tree that I saved that was growing in the skirting on that end also, the mature pine is about 6' in diameter. I am hoping that will help give a little more shade in the afternoon. Currently the sun starts shining on this spot at around 6 pm.

I always thought part of the joy of raising Hostas was moving them around as they grew bigger.

• sm4657
    10 years ago

Here is my experience on Great Expectations.....

I have 3 planted under a pine tree....I planted them last year, so this is their 2nd summer.....They are slow growing, and I think they require a lot of watering to keep them thriving( about an inch per week....soaked well). But they are sooo pretty. Also they get about 2 hrs. of morning sun, then shade the rest of the day....so far, so good.

• sm4657
    10 years ago

Oh, and I love your plans....so well thought out!

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! It really helped after I put the images of the Hostas in there.

Around the tanks I have on the North side, June and First Frost. On the South I have Patriot and am getting Loyalist to next to it. On the ends I am getting Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Bananas and I also put in some Japanese Painted Ferns.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Very nice and soon it will all be filled in with host from one bed to the tank beds and paths. A hosta grower looks out the window in the winter and sees footsteps in the snow or the hose laying on a spot on the lawn in a certain way and thinks to themself...,hum... that would make a nice line for more plants.lol Maybe I am the only one that does this or maybe not??
    Faye