Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

What disease/virus is this?

I believe this is Rainforest Sunrise. I purchased it in a package of bare root hosta at Costco last year. I have kept it in a pot (as I do all by bare root hosta). I do not have any hope for this hosta, but just want to learn about this disease. I will never buy another bare root hosta package from Costco again! This is the second time I have purchased one, and the first time one had HVX! I have learned my lesson!!! Next spring I am going to just walk on by the perennial packaged plants with their beautiful photos and wear blinders if I need to!!!!

Comments (23)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another photo.

Original Author
    9 years ago

One more.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

It may not be Rainforest Sunrise. My RS is very cupped,in appearance,but yours doesn't look like HVX,either. Sorta looks like the type of dessication that Frances Williams gets. Phil

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I had something similar on Cherry Berry earlier this year (also bagged... coincidence?) but forum members thought it was too much sun exposure. It makes sense...I put it outdoors when it was warm enough to do so but didn't "harden it off" gradually enough. I'm not sure about yours. Sorry.

My initial quick reaction to first pic was ooh, pretty until I actually looked. :-)

Jo

P.S. I'm not having much luck with bagged either. Last year's Liberty and RS didn't make it this year. It will be interesting to see if this year's bagged purchases make it. If yes, I'll likely buy again...just for fun. If no, I won't bother again.

Original Author
    9 years ago

It may not be a Rainforest Sunrise you say Phil? I guess I can't say I am surprised. My experience with Costco bare root hostas is that you never know what you are getting. We all know how difficult it is to identify an immature hosta! Thanks for your input Phil. Glad to hear your comments.

So, Jo, you say your Cherry Berry looked similar to mine earlier? How is it doing now? Any improvement?

Sorry to hear you have not had much luck with bagged hostas. Was the Rainforest Sunrise and Liberty you overwintered in pots or in the ground?

You understand that I only speak of Costco bare root hostas. I think you purchased your bagged hosta at another source. I hope you have better luck overwintering this year. It is so terribly tempting to buy them as we wait for our "babies" to begin to grow! I did buy two bare root hostas last year from another source. Both were Golden Meadows. One died. I am crossing my fingers for the other one.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

frankly.. that disease is called 'august and early september in the hosta world'

kinda a long name ... but the acronym sux ... AAESITHW ....

ignore it.. it will be dormant in 30 to 45 days ... discard old leaves...

little less sun.. and water better next year ... keep the pot itself out of sun ....

crikey.. hold out no hope.. crimminey.. they will live on the driveway with no soil... but they wont look as good as yours.. lol ...

nothing to look at here.. lets move on ... lol

ken

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

30 to 45 days ⦠you are so cheery. it was already afwfhiykwim ⦠a friggin' winter from hell if you know what i mean.

dave

9 years ago

I don't want to hear about dormancy yet, guys! No, no, no, no, no! Lol
    Have barely been gardening what...3 months? I'm seriously in denial!
    And most of my hosta have no right to look good in Aug/Sept?? Pshaw! They are looking fine...but some are smirking at me already regardless!

Seriously, I'm not anywhere near ready for them to start declining....

NHL...to answer your question. Cherry Berry is actually good I think. Let me find a pic to refresh my mind...brb...here it is. No close-up ... but two new leaves (lighter ones). (I got it at Garden Gallery.)Surprisingly, the red sunburn did not get worse..it only had two slender red slashes to begin with.

Yes, the ones I lost were potted...all losses were potted. I guess these bagged purchases have a 50/50 chance of survival, if not better as they are planted already...Cherry Berry, Liberty, Blue Hawaii, Fragrant Dream, F. Aureomarginata and a couple of NOIDS. All are doing well actually.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken---you have got to be kidding! AAESITHW you say? I've been a hostaholic since 2011 and have not experienced this before! (I primarily have a shade property with a couple of areas receiving midday sun for 1-2 hours). The plant has been in a brief amount of hot sun during the day. Didn't I read that putting a young hosta in more sun can in fact promote growth, but at the same time will make the plant unattractive? I wasn't expecting this kind of look! Okay, so I won't throw it out. I'm moving it out of the sun today and will see what next year brings.

Jo, thanks for sharing your photo of Cherry Berry. Looks like it's doing great! You know that it is on the "difficult to grow" list, so you are doing a fantastic job with it.

You say your new bagged hostas are in ground already. Sounds like you have a good chance for 100 percent of them to return next year! Good luck!

9 years ago

Thanks for the positives, NHL! Take a peek at my R S ... kind of has resemblance to yours.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Jo, thanks for posting your RS as well. Mine is in full sun, is new, and doesn't look too great. But after losing Striptease I didn't even want to consider a virus so I have just kept removing the ugly leaves and working on coming up with a plan to deal with the Nematodes that I think it may have. But upon seeing both pics, maybe I really don't have anything to worry about.

Barb

9 years ago

If it served a purpose, I am glad. When in doubt, don't dig it up in haste is what I learned from the hosta experts here. Some of us are experiencing strange discolourations (other than the usual gradual decline for this time of year) for the first time so naturally we are concerned and curious and have a need to remedy.

The only parts I snip or tear off are the ugliest ends usually...I have a few neatly trimmed half leaves on a couple of hostas (of course, I admit I'm anal about my hostas, lol) leave the remaining other half that is attached to the petiole alone as it is still doing its job. I always hear Ken yelling in my head to leave the green alone so I do! LOL

Chances are very good our beloved hostas will be pristine again next spring!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting a picture of your RS. Yours is looking great. I am afraid I don't see any resemblance to mine. I don't have a picture of the whole hosta, but I think I had better get one so I can do a comparison next year.

9 years ago

NHL, Barb....my RS is also new this year but it looks like it had been grown in that pot for a year already before I bought it, (from Humber) judging by the roots.

You will have a better chance at ID next spring, for sure. :-)

P.S.
    NHL, I've been meaning to tell you that the two GE's you picked up for me earlier this year had been growing in their pots for two years! I noticed the date on the info sticker on the pot. No wonder they are so big already! And that the new Dream Queens I picked up were from 2013. Always makes me happy to pick up an "older" plant, lol.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

New Hosta Lady: I see you are in zone 6 in Ontario, what city would that be? I imagine we are neighbours! I am in the Windsor area. Are you a member of the Southwestern Ontario Hosta Society?

Jo, are you a member? I haven't joined yet but thinking I might soon.

9 years ago

Barb, I'm not a member -yet. I need to finally attend to that application on my desk! I've been saying that to NHL since last year! my bad.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, I took a picture of my RS as it is right now. It looks to me like it has deteriorated since I began this thread. I think it is going dormant. Oh well, better luck next year? (In regards to the GE's, that's interesting. I went out to look at mine and they also have a sticker with July 2012 on them.)

Barb, I'm in Toronto, so unfortunately we're really not that close. I would have loved for you and I to be closer in distance. Perhaps then we would have had an opportunity to meet. I am a member of the Ontario Hosta Society though.

By the way, the markings on the other hostas in the picture are from the hail we experienced a few weeks ago.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumped for Jo and Barb.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

New Hosta lady: It is too bad we are not closer. Not too many around here to discuss Hosta with. I was told that the southwestern Ontario Hosta society had a corn roast in September although nothing is on their website about it. The corn roast is at the home of a serious hostaholic. I visited her place on a bus tour and if I recall correctly she had over 2000 different cultivars. The bus could have just left me there. Lol. Anyway it would be worth it for me to
    join just to see that garden again! I will have to confirm that corn roast. Are you active in the Ontario Hosta society?

• User
    9 years ago

How fortunate you guys are to have the opportunity to meet other hosta growers within a reasonable range of travel. Popping in to attend a corn roast is a bit hard if you must go 200-300 miles each way though.

In my case, there are two neighbor ladies who each now have TWO hosta, since I gave each a Paradise Island to go with their Honeybells from Lowes, on Mother's Day. We could have a gathering, but the topic might quickly deteriorate to WHICH HOSTAS ARE READY TO DIVIDE.
    hehehehe

Some petioles on my hosta have bite marks half way down, like something took a bite out of the stiff part and the leaf simply toppled over. It doesn't DIE, it stays green, but it sure defaces the look of the plant. I thought I read that it was damage done by a beetle. Does anyone else remember reading something along those lines? I am reluctant to use pesticides since pollinators and other beneficial insects could be harmed.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Barb, that corn roast definitely sounds like something you shouldn't miss out on. Fabulous opportunity to see soooo many hosta---and take pictures too!

I go to most of the meetings of the OHS. I have gone to a couple of their bus tours and generally go to their spring Hosta Forum. I really enjoy it.

I agree with you Moc---200 to 300 miles is too far to travel to a corn roast!

When you began writing that you had two neighbor ladies interested in hosta, I thought "well isn't that great." But then I note that the they only have two hosta (and they are the ones you gave them)! LOL But you just might be surprised one day and find someone else growing hosta in your area! Well I wish that for you anyways.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the beetle damage. Perhaps starting a new thread may get you more responses?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Barb, I just read this in the OHS newsletter.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

NHL; Thanks so much for the information on the corn roast. I have emailed and even called using the info on the website and haven't heard back from anyone - called yesterday. I will mark that on my calendar. I assume the Tail Gate swap is Hosta - what else would it be LOL. To be honest, I would be afraid to bring one as I have purchased at Big Box stores and see a few things on my Hosta I'm not so sure about.