Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
north53zone2b

Relocating a nest spruce?

north53 Z2b MB
9 years ago

I've been revamping the bed on the north side of my house. So far the only original plant still there is a very large nest spruce. Now I'm looking at the spot it's occupying as prime hosta location. I think I could fit about 4 medium size hosta there.
I have a hard time just turfing out a healthy plant, though. My question is, is it even possible to relocate such a large spruce? If so, when would one do it?
I know this is a hosta forum not a conifer forum, but I think there's at least one very knowledgeable poster here who can answer my question. Or at least others who will help me justify murdering this spruce, lol.

Comments (8)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

If you think you can dig around the drip line of the 'Bird's Nest' (I imagine) Spruce, slide it onto a tarp and transport it into a prepared new resting place, then I think it could be done. Fall just before going into dormancy would be best.

I think the bigger question is whether you can grow hosta in zone 1b. Most hosta list USDA zone 3 as the coldest recommended. Do you know of anyone doing this? I think it would be hard to do if a USDA zone 1....or is 1b that Canadian system?

Pictures, a measured size and transferring the question to the conifers forum would get a more expert answer on the relocation.

Jon

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah Jon, it's a Canadian system. I'm thinking of removing it from my ID as it only seems to cause people to recoil in horror, and distracts from the point of my post often.
    My area in central Manitoba can sustain hosta. We usually have reliable snow cover all winter. In fact the nest spruce seems to require it. Anything sticking out of the snow last winter died.
    It measures 5 ft x 6 ft. It will be a daunting task requiring the help of my DH.
    I don't have much of a picture of it, as it doesn't inspire me to take one. It's just a green blob. Here's a bit of it next to August Moon.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

It was a tough year here with many, many days below zero (F). I have a Bird's Nest Spruce about 3 feet across and I think that is doable. I think 6 feet across is taking a big chance. That is quite an undertaking. I don't think I would attempt it, but if you don't like it then what have you got to lose. I do like mine.

Jon

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i wasnt aware a 'nest' spruce got 5 feet tall .. compare at link

i question your ID ..

and frankly.. no 5 foot plain green conifer.. is worth the extreme heavy labor to move ...

i would cut it to the ground.. and it will be dead..

and i would go spend 20 bucks on a new one ... a true one ..

and i would spend the 8 hours of heavy labor i saved.. touring a garden ... crikey.. doing anything but digging a 3 foot round ball and burlap ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Ken, for being unclear. I was measuring it both ways, since it was wider in one direction than the other. It is only about a foot tall max. Just trying to give an idea of how large it is. If you read my post you'd know I don't want another one. I want its space to plant some hosta.

• jkrobo
    last year

Why hosta?They attract nothing but ugly filthy slimy disgusting SLUGS!

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

This is a very old post. The nest spruce is long gone now. You were right miles10612, it would have been a daunting job to move it without the right equipment.