Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergazer

Hosta Hunt - Help - Iowa

flowergazer
15 years ago

Help!

I am trying to find two places to Hosta Hunt. I have heard of them but cannot find them.

The first one is in Marshalltown, Iowa. The second is in Vinton, Iowa. I have heard by appointment only, but cannot find a website.Thanks Brenda

Comments (27)

• allnitro
    15 years ago

Weis Nursery, Sharon Weis is near Vinton.

• flowergazer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the name.I found her and very excited about going this week.

Sharon Weis
    6231 24th Ave
    Vinton, Iowa

(319)472-5417

This lady has tons of info I am always looking for and oh the Hosta's I almost forgot is the reason I am going.I will have to do a follow up when I get back. Brenda

• lindac
    15 years ago

Don't know the place in m'town....but would like to...I'm close!
    Linda C

• donrawson
    15 years ago

I have lists of hosta and perennial nurseries (alphabetically and by State). Here is my list for Iowa- maybe it will be helpful. Don

PS Let me know of any corrections or additions. Thanks.

The Blooming Hill, 615 Rosedale Rd. SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52403 (hostas)
    Freeman Tree Farm & Nursery, 20599 Utica Ridge Rd., Davenport, IA 52807 (hostas, trees)
    Flying Frog Farms, 5148 155th Ave., Indianola, IA 50125. Phone (515) 961-3585 (hostas)
    Honey Hill, 3633 Honey Hill Dr. SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52403 (hostas)
    Hosta Haven, 1250 41st St., DesMoines, IA 50311 (hostas)
    Hostas On Line, 208 2nd St. NE, Waukon, IA 52172-1308 (hostas)
    In the Country Gardens & Gifts, 2392 240th St., Independence, IA 50644 (hostas)
    JimÂs Hostas (Schwarz Greenhouse), 11676 Robin Hood Dr., Dubuque, IA 52001 (hostas)
    Oakcrest Gardens, 22871 Kane Ave., Glenwood, IA 51534 (hostas, perennials)
    Pocket City Perennials, 30893 Klein Frewery Rd., McGregor, IA 52175 (perennials)
    Walnut Hill Gardens, 999 310th St., Atalissa, IA 52720 (daylilies, hostas)
    Weis Nursery, 6231 24th Ave., Vinton, IA 52349-9473. Phone (319) 472-5417 (hostas)

• maryann_____chgo
    15 years ago

Three more hosta places in Iowa to visit:

Holland Gardens in Pella

Dry Creek Hosta in Marion

Both have picturesque gardens, great plants and fun people. Best you make an appointment.

Gardentown USA in Davenport is holding their 9th Annual Hosta Festival on Aug. 23 and 24. (hosta.com)

• iowa_flower_nut
    15 years ago

Thanks for the heads up about Gardentown Maryann! Now I'm just crossing my fingers that I'll have one of those days off.

• flowergazer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think the wait was worth the find. I went to see the lady. Her name is Sharon Weiss 6231 24 th ave Vinton Iowa 52349. Cell 303 827-4722.The name Weiss'Country Bloomers She sent me a catalog out right away. I forgot to ask if she shipped.I think what I really enjoyed besides the treasures and deals I brought home was the Honesty. She is very informative about all the Hosta's, she is not confused about what is what or where they are so you no you are buying the hosta you want.If she doesnt like a hosta you ask for she will tell you why and if you over look a hosta she will bring it to your attention.She can be very generous, some Hosta's were Tissue Cultures. The ones that were not you could receive 2 or more eyes. I will definitley be going back.

• esudina
    15 years ago

In the Hosta Library Auction look for plants from Mimi5; her name is Trudy & she has wonderful, HUGE plants. She's in Pella. Just recently I purchased Academy Blushing Recluse (8 eyes!) & Dust Devil (4 eyes). She's a darling to do business with & ships Fedex, so you get them fast. I planted them both & they took off like gangbusters! It's an option if you'd rather have your plants delivered from close by...

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

I really like all this info.I am not TO far from Iowa, and always lookig for a new place to buy hosta, thanks guys.

Carol

• tommyatj
    15 years ago

Dillon Plant Company
    just off hwy 30 east of Marshalltown Has closed this Spring. They had a big sale and sold there shade houses etc.
    Sharon Weiss is a great person, Know her very well.
    Art

• dhaven
    15 years ago

Try webwalkway.com for another place to get great hostas and companion plants. It's closed for the year right now, because Linda, the owner, had a hip replacement in July. However, she's doing extremely well, and will be back next spring with lots of new stuff, since she's spent her down time ordering more plants. She's located in the Iowa City area.

Like many other sellers, the listed hostas for sale at this site are by no means a complete list of what's available. If you are looking for something that's not listed at your favorite seller, I recommend that you always email and ask if they have that variety. Most nurseries, especially hosta sellers, have many varieties in addition to their listed plants. These can be either things that are being grown out for future years, varieties that they only have a few of, so they don't list them, varieties that they don't currently have, but that they can get quickly from a local source, or brand new varieties that are still being evaluated. Basically, when in doubt, ask--you may be pleasantly surprised.

As an update to the list, Blooming Hill in Cedar Rapids is permanently closed, and Honey Hill in CR is now restricted to mail order only--no visitors.

• treemon
    15 years ago

The Hosta Leaf in Colesburg, IA is operated by Bob and Julie Hackbarth. They have a big collection of Rosedale hostas and reportedly received help from Jerry Hadrava who operated The Blooming Hill before his death. Phone/Fax is 563 856-3595. They are a home-based business and do not ship. Lots of field grown hostas and daylilies. The Northern Illinois Hostas Society recently ran a bus trip to NE IA and we filled the bus' luggage compartment with wonderful plants.

Mark

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hello Hosta lovers -
    I'm in the hunt for Hosta 'Remember Me' - have any of you seen or own one.

I'm not a Hosta collector - I have exactly, very old 6 or 7 varieties that have been divided, traded, shared with friends to as far as N E & W borders, of my piece of soil in Iowa. My old & loyal Hostas have not been properly ID'd ... in search of their proper ID I found 'Remember Me' & grabbed my heart!

For the past 7 years I have been setting a remembrance plant/bush in memory of my angel, grand-daughter, Carley (called to heaven 2 days just before she was to be born). 'Remember Me' seems ideal for this 8th season.

I would prefer to find one in the DSM area. TIA Â:)

ditas

• Joan Habel
    14 years ago

Ditas - Flying Frog Farms, just north of Indianola (right next to the Summerset Winery) has "Remember Me' for $15.00.
    They have a spot at the Downtown Des Moines Farmer's Market every Saturday morning if you don't want to drive that far.
    I was out at the farm last Saturday, and she does not have every hosta potted and ready for sale yet, but if you call the phone number listed on the web-site, Marsha would be more than happy to dig one for you and send it to the market with her husband.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flying Frog Farms

• ditas
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the info, Joan! Â;)

Sorry for not finding this thread, to check back ... forgot to bookmark. I did hear about Flying Frog Farm - I think I can manage the short drive there. I have been researching & reading re: Hostas, in search of 'RM' that I ended up, literally dreaming hostas!!! All my old loyal Hosta are, so beautifully, covering back those bare sites now ... I feel such remorse & shame that I actually just threw them there, under our old Crabapple tree, with just a thin coating of soil & they still grow beautifully each year! I do care for them when their arch enemy, SLUGS get to them! ... Before 'Slug-go' I tried my dh's Hineken - all I got were drunken bunnies (they became easy prey to the wild cats etc) & holey Hostas! I don't think I'll really be a Hosta collector ... I do love them around for their effect & loyalty. I saw Fire & Ice at HD but determined to wait for 'RM' for Carley's memory plant this year!

Again, thank you very much! Â:)

• dstickrod77
    5 years ago

I realize that this is an older topic but another nice place is K&K Gardens in Hawkeye.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    5 years ago

Do any of you Iowans know what's going on with Dawn's Bloomer's (Independence) or Dry Creek Hostas (Marion)? D.B. hasn't updated their website since 2016. I was there last year and the couple who own it were both having serious health problems. Dry Creek's owner shut down for health reasons a few years ago. Did she ever reopen? Lovely places to buy hostas, both of them.

Can you go to the hosta place in Pella or is it strictly mail order? I'm visiting family there in June.

• StevePA6a
    5 years ago

Thank you for sharing, Betsie R., sounds like he was a wonderful person.

• rpwoodard
    5 years ago

Bestie, thank you for posting about your grandpa. I hope his host as are still well-loved❤️

• Josh Spece
    5 years ago

MadPlanter....

Unfortunately, Art passed away last summer. I have no idea what the plan is for the business.

Jeanie from Dry Creek Hostas was out a couple weeks ago. I do not believe she is in business any longer.

Trudy in Pella moved to a condo a couple years ago and no longer sells.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    5 years ago

Thank you, Josh for updating this post.

-Babka

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    5 years ago

Thanks, Josh. Art always had time to talk. The garden had gotten shabby and weedy, with most labels missing, but he knew exactly where any hosta was. I wanted American Halo, and he wandered back to a section of the garden I didn't know existed and found it in five minutes. I'll miss him.

It will be hard for anyone else to ID all the plants.

BTW, all the plants from In the Country are safely in the ground except for Tom Terrific. Still have some weeding to do in that corner. Like Pinani Splash better every time I see it.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 years ago

I see this is a rejuvenated old thread. I wonder how many of the above listed hosta places are still open?

I can vouch for Flying Frog at indianola - still open and doing well. I bought some nice fat Frances Williamses there last summer.

• Missi (4b IA)
    5 years ago

A guy in town who is a big hosta lover told me he and his grandson visit a hosta farm every year..I'd never heard of such a thing! I'll have to ask him again where it is b/c I've forgotten. I'd love to visit some of these places!

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

there was a guy from eldora that moved to just east of altoona … but that has been a couple/several/few of years ago … FF is a nice place … if'n you can find it down that windy gravel road

• dstickrod77
    5 years ago

Not to hard to find Flying Frog. If my wife can find it, anyone can ; )