Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxanna_gw

corrugation ?

roxanna
10 years ago

what is the best way to find out if certain hostas will corrugate as they mature? it seems that young ones often show smooth leaves. personally, i am not a fan of corrugation (sorry! guess i'm a philistine.) and prefer my hostas to have smooth leaves. is there a database that could be helpful to avoid corrugation?

Comments (13)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

roxanna, sorry to hear of your affliction. Enjoyment of the rugose side of hostas often comes with maturity of the hosta as well as of the collector. ;-) You effectively eliminated big leaf blues or big leaf hosta that have blue centers from your garden. In general terms a lance shaped leaf (pointier the tip)will be less likely to get corrugated. Cupped leaf and tokudama backgrounds will tend to get rugose. Also shiny leaved hostas tend to be more smooth.....all generalities.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

H. 'Clear Fork River Valley'? ; ) Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

then you find and buy hosta which are not in maturity ...

see link for hosta library ...

best idea ... visit here.. and look at the pix... and pick and choose ..

bottom line.. you wont find most of them at bigboxstore ... you will have to mail order such ...

and if all that doesnt work.. find a new plant ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Joking aside, look up 'Cascades', 'Halcyon', 'Spritzer' and see what you think.

Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Lol at Don B. and 'Clear Fork River Valley'! Possibly THE MOST corrugated hosta of all time!

I have 'Spritzer' and it isn't corrugated whatsoever. The leaves are shiny and smooth.

BTW, by corrugation, do you just mean the little bumps in the leaves...or do you mean that you don't like any texture at all, even if it's from heavy veining?

• donrawson
    10 years ago

You can read about many hostas in The Hostapedia by Mark Zilis. Don't get any species and cultivars which are said to be puckered, corrugated, dimpled, crinkled, etc.

You should avoid all which are on this list: Puckered-leaved Hostas

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Gosh Don - you sure can take the wind out of a girl's sails. Just joking. I was reading down this thread and had already decided to post "check Don's Lists"

Glad you've jumped in b4 me.

Theresa Ann

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hi, Roxanna! It's so refreshing to hear that someone is actually brave enough to say they don't care for corrugated hosta on a hosta forum! Lol lol
    Loved it! I,m just being goofy, here...but...

You jogged my memory about how I first reacted to a (my original thought) "wrinkled" hosta. It was a Frances Williams. I fell in love with the blue and chartreuse but corrugation wasn't apparent yet...you should have seen my face when it started wrinkling...I actually thought it was sick! Lol

Learned a lot since then and still learning.

As far as smooth-leaved hosta go there are many beautiful ones and it will take some time to go through countless pictures. I don't think there is a book out there just on smooth-leaved hosta....if there isn't, here's another window of opportunity!

I have some "smoothies" but they are likely special only to me...my still young Sweet Bo Peep, June and progenies...Queen Josephine...Flemish Sky...Marilyn Monroe with ruffled edge...but very smooth otherwise...I've recently picked up Candy Dish which has a ruffled edge. But it's drk. grn. shiny, relatively smooth leaves really got me...okay, I'll admit the ruffled edge drew me in too, etc. etc.Lol

Good luck with finding what appeals to you..Paul has summed it up nicely for you. .I'd be interested in that one hosta that takes your breath away, when you find it, if you don't already own it. Your specificity has me interested in your ultimate choices. I DO hope you'll post again after your research and share your findings. I for one would love to see them.
    Sincerely,
    Jo.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

June will also get rugose with age, see the Hosta Library.
    I just walked by h.'Jurassic Park' in my garden, has nice long smooth leaves, but Nooo the Hosta Library shows large round leaves (15x17 in) with puckering when mature.
    I love corrugation, puckering, rugosity, wrinkling, etc., especially on large leaves
    Bernd

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

The leaves on my 'Irish Luck' are smooth and shiny. It does have a lot of veining, but no bumpy texture. Also, 'Frisian Pride', 'Clovelly', 'Ophir', 'June Fever', 'Cutting Edge' and 'First Frost' appear to be "bump-free". Lol.

A lot of my little ones never develop a rogose texture. Some of them include 'Blue Mouse Ears', 'Lemon Lime', 'Lemon Frost', 'Thumbelina' and 'Limey Lisa'.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

I think that the fragrant hostas are mostly all smooth leaved...So Sweet, Fried Bananas, Fried Green Tomatoes, Royal Standard, Summer Fragrance, Fragrant Bouquet, Holy Mole, Guacamole, Stained Glass, Cathedral Windows, Invincible, plantaginea.... If you stick to those, you'll avoid the corrugation and get a fragrant bonus, too.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Why not try some of the many piecrust hostas. Most of them are pretty smooth and oh so pretty!

DD

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Luna Moth' seems to be a smooth-leaved hosta.

Don B.