Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
noid

Posted by squirejohn 4 VT (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 9:54

I received this hosta this past May from a neighbor. It's 8" high with seersuckered leaves roughly 4" X 4". Any ideas?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: noid

I'm counting 8vp. Does that seem right, John? What color blooms were onthat scape? It all might help. Then if we get an idea we can go to the Hosta Library or AHS website to see if it matches.

Les

o

Les, The flowers are pale lavender. At first I thought it was a small Liberty as the flowers look alike and bloomed at the same time. I counted 10 VP.

o

take a look at H. Christmas Tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas Tree

o

Liberty should have 12-13vp but I realize young hostas have in general fewer vp than mature ones. The leaves don't appear to be of a juvie though. The hostas in the Patriot complex have vp in the 8-10 range. I haven't looked at Christmas Tree-sort of busy.

Les

o

It does look like a small Christmas Tree. However since this was a division of a mature hosta I think its potential height will be less than that of a mature Christmas Tree. I may be wrong however and next week (leaving in a couple of houre for several days) I'll check the size of my neighbors hosta and get some better pics.

One other thing - I did leave one flower scape but no seed pods were produced = sterile? or just an anomaly. Christmas Tree is listed as fertile.

o

It even reminds me Of Pizzazz,a little. Phil

o

Maybe Wide Brim

Paul

o

Yes, probably Wide Brim, and I'm afraid it is showing distinct signs of HVX in the leaf closeup around 5 o'clock next to the "c" shaped tear. Gotta watch out for that in Wide Brim.

Chris

o

Thanks for IDing my NOID as Wide Brim. I have another disimilar looking WB (2nd year) which I guess is not unusual as there seems to be a lot of variation within forms of photos posted here and the HL.

I'm definitely not thrilled to learn my WB has HVX. Since I cannot see just what part of the leaf exhibits the infection (5:00 o'clock off the "C" shaped tear) perhaps more of my hostas are also infected.
I have a H. montana Aureomarginata that has a strange looking leaf that I'll post a photo of in a seperate thread.

o

Although I can't see the infected area Chris referenced I did see the "mother WB" (neighbors) that I got the division from and evidence of HVX infection is quite obvious. I've since treated my WB with Roundup and will remove in the spring with surrounding soil. I have a roll of TEX-R fabric that I may use and plant another hosta in its place.

o

Squirejohn,

You might want to remove that Wide Brim right after frost. If any part of that Hosta is still alive in the Spring it will be more likely to transmit virus in the Spring than after frost in the Fall. Just a precaution.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here