Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirejohn

noid

I received this hosta this past May from a neighbor. It's 8" high with seersuckered leaves roughly 4" X 4". Any ideas?

{{gwi:1073212}}

Comments (11)

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I'm counting 8vp. Does that seem right, John? What color blooms were onthat scape? It all might help. Then if we get an idea we can go to the Hosta Library or AHS website to see if it matches.

Les

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Les, The flowers are pale lavender. At first I thought it was a small Liberty as the flowers look alike and bloomed at the same time. I counted 10 VP.

• dray67
    11 years ago

take a look at H. Christmas Tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas Tree

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Liberty should have 12-13vp but I realize young hostas have in general fewer vp than mature ones. The leaves don't appear to be of a juvie though. The hostas in the Patriot complex have vp in the 8-10 range. I haven't looked at Christmas Tree-sort of busy.

Les

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does look like a small Christmas Tree. However since this was a division of a mature hosta I think its potential height will be less than that of a mature Christmas Tree. I may be wrong however and next week (leaving in a couple of houre for several days) I'll check the size of my neighbors hosta and get some better pics.

One other thing - I did leave one flower scape but no seed pods were produced = sterile? or just an anomaly. Christmas Tree is listed as fertile.

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

It even reminds me Of Pizzazz,a little. Phil

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Maybe Wide Brim

Paul

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

Yes, probably Wide Brim, and I'm afraid it is showing distinct signs of HVX in the leaf closeup around 5 o'clock next to the "c" shaped tear. Gotta watch out for that in Wide Brim.

Chris

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for IDing my NOID as Wide Brim. I have another disimilar looking WB (2nd year) which I guess is not unusual as there seems to be a lot of variation within forms of photos posted here and the HL.

I'm definitely not thrilled to learn my WB has HVX. Since I cannot see just what part of the leaf exhibits the infection (5:00 o'clock off the "C" shaped tear) perhaps more of my hostas are also infected.
    I have a H. montana Aureomarginata that has a strange looking leaf that I'll post a photo of in a seperate thread.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Although I can't see the infected area Chris referenced I did see the "mother WB" (neighbors) that I got the division from and evidence of HVX infection is quite obvious. I've since treated my WB with Roundup and will remove in the spring with surrounding soil. I have a roll of TEX-R fabric that I may use and plant another hosta in its place.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Squirejohn,

You might want to remove that Wide Brim right after frost. If any part of that Hosta is still alive in the Spring it will be more likely to transmit virus in the Spring than after frost in the Fall. Just a precaution.

Steve