Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Show us your fav ALMOST blue hosta!

So, it occurred to me today, after reading another older "what's your fav blue hosta" post that the goal ends up being which is the bluest. I'm all for blues, they are one of my favorites, too, but that ends up leaving out some very beautiful hostas that aren't the bluest. Here's what I'm talking about: You know the ones, the aquas or the gray-blues that are so beautiful, but aren't especially "blue". Examples would be Queen of the Seas, Aquamarine or maybe even a gray green like Restless Seas.

So, that's the challenge here. Show us your favorite ALMOST BLUE hosta! It's that in between color that often gets left out of these type of posts!

My favorite would be Neptune. There are much more beautiful specimens out there, I hope someone (like McTavish, hint, hint) will share theirs, but, for now, here's mine, new last year.

Now, what's yours?

Comments (30)

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

How about Sieboldiana Elegans - looking more grey to me. This is a tough call. Your lovely Neptune has more green heading towards blue. I think it will be in the eyes of the beholder as to what is almost but not quite blue.

{{gwi:1073249}}

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 11:17

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

My collection is still small and new, but I do have two aqua colored ones that I love. First is Lily Blue Eyes. The aqua color is so pretty. Its brand new and still pretty small.

Neptune is a favorite and on my wish list.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

The other aqua hosta is called Mr. Blue. This not my photo, but one of what it will look like. Mine is small and still low to the ground. Cant see the beautiful purple petioles on my younging.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

This hosta fits your criteria to a tee...as of August 13th...neither blue nor green - just in-between. And soooo pretty!

Funn....Great idea for a thread, showcasing another colour combination and hammering the point home that yes indeed, hostas have it ALL. :)

Your Neptune is gorgeous! I think my Arctic Blast is the closest thing to a "wanna-be", eh? Lol

Jo

9 years ago

On July 3rd with more blue.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Is it blue? Is it green? Kind of in between. Very unusual color, which I find quite cool. This is Reptilian.

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Yep - Reptilian is sitting on the fence wondering which way to go. lol Time will tell.

DD

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Love the Neptune pics. Mine is new and I have something to look forward to. Really like Mr. Blue. That might be a good alternative to Purple Haze for me. So many hosta's yet so little time.

Tidewater is one of my favorite blue, but quite blue in this pic.

"Almost blue. Almost doing things we used to do. There's a girl here and she's almost you......" I like Elvis Costellos version best.

9 years ago

Oh Mac....your Tidewater had me googling for more pics...it is gorgeous!
    I can't add anything to my want list...I am still struggling to find space (with as good siting as possible) for at least another dozen hosta that are in pots! But I wish I could own Tidewater - it is a looker!!!

Jo

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Great thread. I went outside to take pictures on an overcast day and just then, the sun came out. Here's my contribution just the same. I love Fragrant Star in bud. The white against the dark blue green is very nice.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Cool, Bev. Ever sniffed the blossoms? Are they fragrant? Nice-looking plants.

Don B.

9 years ago

Good Jo. For once I can be an enabler! Guess what? I have this extra Tidewater that is free to a good home. I'd offer it to you but I totally understand having a lack of space and I don't think it could go across the border.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Holy crap, Mac!!

Don B.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, that's just wrong. Love the giant heuchera, too, LOL :)

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Good thread.....Fun
    How about Halcyon

Blue Mouse ears for the little guys

Sky Dancer

Blue Cadet...my first...have several and still like them all

9 years ago

To think this was only planted last year as a two gallon plant. It sure is vigorous but it's the smaller of the two I have and I just don't have room for duplicates any more. Next week I'm digging up 2 Sum&Substance that are much bigger than this guy. I blame it all on this forum as I've purchased about 30 new hosta's since joining and I need to make room for them!

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Mbug, your Sky Dancer and Halcyon are very blue and very beautiful.

Don, yes, its fragrant but not like your Guacamole, more like Invincible. You have to get on your knees and stick your nose in it. It is a very tough hosta.

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 21:38

• allnitro
    9 years ago

I love all the blue hosta and have/had most all of the available ones......plus I keep the bluest of the blue seedlings that I get.

'Skylight' is one of the bluest you can grow and it is available again this year so I'd recommend everyone pick one up while you can they might wait another 8+ years to TC it again. This is a pic of mine from 4 years ago which I still have plus I picked up 2 more of the new batch this summer.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Mac - Your gardens are a show place. Round up your best shots and give us a tour> Salivating here......

Mbug - Your blues are wonderful.

Allnitro - Skylight is slurp slurp gorgeous.

Since we've progress from almost blue to blue, I'll never miss an opportunity to post Awakening Angel. lol

{{gwi:1052417}}

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 10:35

9 years ago

Mac, I'd snap that up in a NY minute!!! Wow! And a bloody shame I can't have it!!! Wailing here! (I kind of snuck Tidewater on my list....you just never know, lol). Donna, your AA is gorgeous!

9 years ago

Mug, love all your pics! but the last one...with the colour placement ... is beautiful! Beautifully grown hosta.

Allnitro, your pic is beautiful as is the hosta!

Jo

9 years ago

DD.....or should I say, Pavlovs DD? Just mention a garden and you salivate, eh? Well I don't want to be the cause of you dehydrating so I'll post a virtual garden tour soon. Here's a start for you, since you seem so sweet :)

It is a shame Jo. I enjoy giving plants away to appreciative gardens but it would be even more enjoyable doing do with REAL hosta nuts. Maybe it will go to someone that will turn them into a hosta nut!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

You can call ME Pavlov's Don, because that big big hosta in the wheelbarrow is making me drool, too!

Don B.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

I'm in love! Your garden is spectacular. Those are limelight trees, right? Every single time I go to the nursery my first stop is the limelight trees, praying a sale tag is dangling from a branch. The trees are on the wish list for next year. Where is this view, front courtyard type area? Such a gorgeous yard and looks like a great spot to sit and enjoy a drink.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I got 4 all blues last fall, Blue Jay, Pewterware, Silver Bay and Bulletproof. They looked like quadruplicates. Now Bulletproof has outgrown them all by about 75%.

Kathy

This post was edited by zkathy on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 1:45

• User
    9 years ago

I think it was MBug who identified my long term NOID as High Tide this spring, having thought it might be Sky Dancer for a moment, and before that lederhosen until it matured. But now I think High Tide is one of my very favorite blue-to-green hostas. It is in bloom, and I moved it back to more sun, and it is getting a greener look to it. My blues tend toward dark bluish green after a brief period of blueness. They also melt and show a waxy shine on the leaves.

Here it was in May behind Blue Hawaii.

9 years ago

Mac, is that Cimicifuga/Actea in the center of the heuchera? What a mag photo!
    A beautiful design of a garden!

9 years ago

Ok Pavlovs Don. Grown adults drooling over hosta's. I don't know what's wrong with all of us but I like it.

Thanks bmonkeys. Yes they are limelight trees creating a "floating hedge" around a courtyard. So as not to set a bad example to the neighborhood kids I only enjoy an iced tea there. If it happens to be of the Long Island variety so be it. : ))

Thank you Jo. Very good eye. Actea 'Hillside Black Beauty'. Great foliage, flowers and fragrance. A must for any hosta garden. A group of them along side a Sun King Aralia with a big blue hosta will be in my garden soon.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great pics, everyone!

Jo, your Arctic Blast is amazing! Love that spring pic!

Allnitro's Skylight and Donna's Awakening Angel are also my favs here. That aqua blue color is just glorious, isn't it?

I added Arctic Blast and Awakening Angel to my list. I have an OS Skylight, but it is pitifully small, still.

9 years ago

Aw, thanks Funn! I'm tickled my Arctic Blast "enabled". ;-)

Mac, I've got a couple of Actea 'Brunette' (same very dark foliage) in all day sun now that my maple is gone (City to replace soon) so I hope I get those bottle-brush flower scapes growing taller..I need to keep up with watering when we don't have rain.... that bubble-gum smell is awesome!