Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

H. 'Something Different'

hostahillbilly
10 years ago

Planting a new bed, this came to light. It appears the second flush is, indeed, "something different". Pics on HL are inconclusive. Perhaps our esteemed resident member of this plant's originator's family will comment, please? The parentage of the plant would be interesting to know...

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago

HH, could you translate that for me? I got lost in the middle of the "esteemed resident member" and "originator's family."
    Huh?

I have it on my list for the fall order at WadeGatton.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moc, this plant's originater's son participates on this forum. That's still a little awkward, huh?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

billy.. what are you talking about.. planting a new bed.. and this came to light..

it looks likes it been growing in the middle of a fallow field.. for years ... lol...

you make it sound like it mysteriously landed from space... lol ...

moc... its a pauline plant.. Bruce's mom.. which i asked about a week or so ago ...

guess i lost mine..

HEY!>>> maybe it was beamed over to hillbillies ... beam me up scotty ...

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

oh never mind.. its in a pot ... crikey .. lol

ken

• brucebanyaihsta
    10 years ago

'Something Different' came out of Gold Standard. Please read the last AHS Journal article on 'Something Different'

What you are posting would be Gold Standard markings for the second flush, which makes sense. Not uncommon.

What sets Something Different apart from Gold Standard is the initial coloration, which is brighter and earlier. It will hold well into the season, but second flushes can look like Gold Standard

Bruce Banyai

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, Ken, when you first mentioned Something Different, I was not on the same page with your meaning a HOSTA. But I looked up the name, and discovered it was a Banyai hosta. I have nothing but good results with the ones P Banyai introduced, so Something Different is going on my fall order.

Around here, we get lots of second flushes, and they seem to be doing it now. Some of the large leafed divisions of mature plants coming from Jim Hartmann have clusters of new growth all around them.....very nice looking. They seem to like all the rain we've had.

And what's this about oh crikey, it's in a POT? hehehehe. They're still hosta, and I think they love growing that way. I never use small pots, but even so, I'm having to plan some UPpotting soon. The Wheee! I got last May 2012 had grown its roots into the soil and I had to rip it to pick up the pot. And, several others as well, have roots coming out the holes on the sides of the pots. I much prefer the side holes, easy to see what is going on. Did you see the roots from just this summer with my Empress Wu? And Millie's Memoirs had roots like a mophead when I teased them out. Yeah, I have some pictures to show you in a new thread about that driveway bed, all in the ground too. BIG test for me. Look for it, Kenny. :)

Oops, I better take pictures now, because it is looking like rain again......oh drats, too late, it is POURING DOWN. I just love a rainy day.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mr. Banyai. The Journal ends up being ignored around here until January or so, when I then read "What's in a name", my favorite column.

Jealous of those plantanagea blooms,

hh