Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

How Hosta-Nerdy Are You?

hostanista
9 years ago

This is how much of a hosta nerd I am: I have at least 2 framed photos of hosta leaves decorating the walls in my house. Below is one. It's a super close-up of sun-kissed raindrops on an Empress Wu leaf. Some pics are just too pretty to sit buried in the computer. Tell me I'm not the only one who prints and frames photos of their hostas. Please.

Comments (8)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Yep, I'm right there with you. I pick the best of the year, typically and do something with it, like framing it. I also make a "coffee table" book of the best pics of each year. In the past this has usually happened to my other perennials, but this year, it's gonna be the hostas.

Here's the pic I plan to frame from this year. June Fever and Peacock Spikemoss

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Wow those are both gorgeous pictures. I've been trying to find some peacock moss that hasn't been neglected and dried out at local nurseries to no avail this year.

I haven't gotten any wedding photos back yet but I had to have hostas in my wedding bouquet.

Florist asked me what kinda of flowers I like and what was my has to have flower. My response, hostas not the flowers the leaves. She thought I was nuts. :)

This was taken with an old camera phone.

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 11:11

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Havent done that yet but I think it will happen! I say, enjoy your nerdiness. : ) your pictures are wonderful and definitely frameworthy!!!!!

Sherry

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I don't have any pictures on the walls yet but I do have scrapbook plans (winter project)! They would show the progress of our hostas over the years.

Vanessa

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

There was a thread a few years ago where someone refreshed their kitchen with (as I remember it) new counter tops, paint and hosta leaf photos. I don't remember who it was, but the photos were really nice. I've tried to find the thread, but never have any luck.

bk

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Great photo. Great idea. I can see some black and white hosta leaf photos adorning my walls soon. Thanks for the inspiration. This will be my first framed pic.

• User
    9 years ago

These are all Kodak moments and BETTER.
    I like the B&W, Mac, it gets your attention in a sea of color. The perfect lacy design of the ferns compliments the streaked hosta leaves.

Funn's moss shot....love it too--and of course Hostanista is passionate for "drops", this does show the rainbow of sunlight diffracted through the water droplet, quite nice to frame.

Presently I've printed a lot, to send to family who wonder what I've been up to lately. Not framing anything yet because we'll be emptying the house for this upcoming remodel job after Labor Day. I'm SO ready for that to be OVER, so I can put my house back together!

Even though I took several thousand photos and have over 21gigabyte uploaded to Flickr, I still miss the prettiest moments such as you folks take. I think I focus on the problems and the documentation and not the artistry. Very shortsighted of me, since for the longrun, it will be the beauty that endures and is obvious. My EYE sees the beauty, but when I look for photos which capture that, they are absent.

A good video slideshow, or a slowhand short tour of the garden might be a better solution. For me anyway. I still have time to capture the garden before it goes down hill for the fall. But next year? Well, I'll be ready ready ready to rock and roll come Maytime. Then another one in June.

Promise me you will try to capture a video of your gorgeous gardens? I'd love to see them.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

BKay, I was so intrigued by your post, I tried googling...this probably isn't what you are referring to, but something like it....a person can run with the idea though, eh?

There is a fall hosta leaf pic further down in the link...

Three years ago I printed pictures I took (which got lost due to CPU crash) and posted them on my bedroom wall, lol. Thanks, fellow nerd Hostanista, I'll be framing something too...there is a frame hanging in my bathroom that needs refreshing and my coffee table album needs updating as well....HA...you are not alone! I suspect there's quite a few of us.....
    Now, I'm off looking for something to contribute...

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta photos for countertop