Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Anyone making Hosta Container Arrangements?

I would like to plant hosta containers together with perennials and/or annuals. I think that that would be something a bit different and could be an interesting pot arrangement. I saw one at a local nursery which included one hosta,with ivy, sedge and ferns. And in a book I saw they had a pot made up of Fire and Ice, Elegans, Whirling Dervish, Jacob's Ladder and Sweet Woodruff. That was interesting except that I don't own any of those hosta! So I decided to experiment and put together a pot of Striptease, ivy and impatiens. Now I am only showing you this pot arrangement so you understand what I am saying. I do, in no way, think that this arrangement is all that great. It's OK. Just wanted to know if anyone else has any ideas for container arrangements with hostas. I would love to put one on my front porch---something that can do well in shade---and would look striking against my red brick house.

Comments (22)

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

I think it looks gorgeous and had to look twice to see the pot. Just keep experimenting, you did good!

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I have this container on my deck. That's H. Fair Maiden in it.

Steve

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

I purchased a planter last summer with three conifers - cheapo garden variety cedar etc., a hosta (I'm guessing 'Patriot'), and something trailing/blooming. It cost no more that a typical annual planter, and looked great all summer and then all winter on my deck with snow on the conifers. Sadly the hosta didn't reappear, but i really hadn't expected any of the plants to live another season. Nice surprise that the conifers are still going strong.I loved the combo and with better planning and care it could be long term I think.
    Jan

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement almosthooked!

Great container Steve. Do you leave the hosta in the container over winter or do you leave everything as is?

Sounds like you had a really nice container Jan. Especially if you got to enjoy it during the summer, fall and winter. Would have loved to see it.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

NHL,

I will take the planter apart. The Hosta will go in the ground. The annuals will go on the compost pile and the houseplants will come inside after being given a shower and a repotting.

Steve

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

This one isn't mine. It's Tepelus' hosta and photo. It's my favorite hosta container. The hosta is praying hands. I plan to make a similar one next year.

bkay

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the praying hands hosta in that pot do certainly make a nice combo. I had also thought to simply put a hosta in a pot with creeping jenny. I think that vase shaped hostas can really make a nice statement (in a container).

I took this picture at a local nursery here. That's Brother Stefan with Hakone grass. I loved the hosta and the grass. Now I own both. The Brother Stefan I have is not that big, so I am thinking of putting the grass with another one of my hostas next year.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

I can just visualize a hosta with this arrangement so now I will do it next season as ther just is no room with the impatience and ivy. One more thing to do

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

This container I made would work too but if it looks too small will have to get out the cedar . I just love the german ivy and it spreads so fast but doesn't winter so save a mother plant in the house.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello almosthooked: I can envision your wood planter with a small variegated hosta in the center and the german ivy on each side. That would really offset the hosta nicely. If the planter is on the small side (can't really tell from the picture), then how about a miniature hosta? I could see that the german ivy would be an asset in a container arrangement. I think I just might look into getting one! I have a lot of shade around my house. Hopefully it doesn't need sun.

In the book "Pot it Up," it taught me that a good container arrangement has a spiller, thriller and a filler. That is something to consider when putting together your own. I have a lot of creeping jenny in my garden, and have used it in two other containers I have. It is the "spiller" in my containers. The only thing is that the creeping jenny loses its yellow coloring in the shade, but I still like it.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

I see Steve has three thrillers in his planter( beautiful!) a spiller and not sure which is the filler but if anyone can do it Steve sure does make a statement on his plants so us new girls and guys can take note!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Very cute sandyslopes! Thanks for posting another idea.

• User
    11 years ago

BKay, glad you brought the Praying Hands planting forward, I never remembered what was in the pot with it.

I might warm up to Praying Hands one day, but right now there are so many more that I'm hooked on, that one can wait.

The Brother Stefan with the hakone grass so very appropriate. My BStefan is a slow grower also, but boy do I have others with that color pattern waiting to fill in for him. Only, I do not know what companion to pair it with. It would have to be an annual if there is a hosta due to dormancy. Most perennials will keep growing here or need water, so I would mess up the hosta's dormancy.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I was googling and found this picture. It comes from www.cheeseheadgardening.com.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of my Praying Hands this past May. When the Jenny is filled out it looks so much nicer. This time of year it is mainly green, a bit tatty, and trailing to the ground, but in the spring it is bright yellow and so fresh looking. I hope I can get them to live through another winter. This will be winter number three.

Karen

Original Author
    11 years ago

Your pot is lovely (along with all the other plants in the picture) Karen! I know what you mean about the creeping jenny being so "fresh" in the spring. I am thinking that if I put creeping jenny in a pot with a hosta, then I can overwinter it together and both may just come up again ready to grow for the season. I see you have a few pots in the photo. I too like pots. The slugs are reduced and the pot can give some height to the garden.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

I have two half wooden barrels that are totally covered under the petunia and next year would like to know what hosta can go into each barrel. It is in hot, south west sun in the summer so really will reqire lots of water. Suggestions for planting?

• User
    11 years ago

AH, you mean you have BARRELS beneath that mass of petunias? I would never have suspected it. !!!!!!! That is beautiful.

Well, I'm at a loss. When you say HOT EXPOSED, just for how long a time and really is it a cooking sort of exposure?
    With all that protection surrounding the hosta, I can see that it keeps the soil cool and the only exposure will be to the leaves, not the petioles at all, nor the roots.

Not sure which hosta to suggest. For the growth habit, something SIMILAR to Elegans, BUT do not know if it can take the direct sunlight all day long, even as far north as you are. I have one new Elegans, and it seems to like the morning sun early, and the afternoon sun late, it is truly elegant and growing rapidly. And then I like Climax, which is big bold and beautiful, plus tall. And then maybe Liberty or Sagae? To compete with the mass of petunia, I think it will need to be a vigorous strong growing hosta.

Are you wanting to do something unique, or can you find inspiration over at Myrle's garden? Or at her sister's garden? Those photos are all inspiring.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Myrle does have a bunch that are in the same hot area and I will have to go take note as to what she has by her pool. Her sister in Washington has totally different growing conditions .Her's are in the shaded humid coastal weather.. We are 325 miles east of Vancouver so is much dryer hotter area and not near as much rain . I am sure she has some good ideas for me and now the Fundy Beauties in Eastern Canada is having their fall Hosta sale on for the large, mature with multi stems for such good prices and it sure could be tempting to get at least one ( or two), They arrive in super great condition after a cross country trip too.
    Sister is visiting Myrle now so the planning stages for more gardens are in their deepest thoughts besides lounging by the pool in the hot afternoons. Some people have the life!! lol

• luckykat13
    11 years ago

Blue Ivory, Begonia, Caladium

Original Author
    11 years ago

I really like your arrangement LuckyKat13! Good idea!.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County