Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Can't find Parisian Silk...any good?

I was planning to order a Parisian Silk from Naylor's, but they told me they are out of stock. Can't find this one at any of the top few that I trust. Anyone grow this one? I just need to know if it's worth chasing this one down! :)

Comments (2)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Naylor Creek was the only place I know of that sold it. I only know that it's obviously gorgeous, and that Don Dean is the one who introduced it. I have a couple of plants from D. Dean, and they've been great. I know his plants have been greatly complimented here on the forum, as both beautiful and as hostas that grow well. Hopefully you'll get some more feedback from your question.

Don B.

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Wow, where was I when you needed me in August âÂÂeh ?

This is another I acquired this year. This time from Naylor. As Guacamole Don indicated, Naylor is the only vendor actively selling it. It is a Don Dean blue hybrid. A cross of the white-backed form of H. longipes var. latifolia x H. 'Dorset Blue'. Don Dean is notorious for producing some of the best blues, which was largely the appeal when deciding to buy it.

It came to me small back in spring. One of the most noticeable characteristics about it is the âÂÂhaloâ that Gary describes on his website listing. The edge is not variegated, but holds slightly less wax and makes it look like you took a highlighter to the edge. It is a soft yellowish hue. The leaves definitely âÂÂglowâ when you look at them. I noticed the âÂÂhaloâ after it first emerged, but unfortunately it got hit with aphids shortly thereafter and the soap I used washed some of the wax off.

This is a very sturdy plant. The leaves are thick and held on top of strong petioles. It grew well for me despite all the rain and constant humidity.

Mine is still super young and has some serious growing up to do, but this is another I would highly recommend if you can justify the inflated cost. I attribute that largely to limited supply and how new the cultivar is.

But again, donâÂÂt let me talk you into buying one. :)

Ludi

Parisian Silk - 05/09/2013 - fresh after emerging

Parisian Silk - 05/30/2013 - this is after it was sprayed

Parisian Silk - 08/31/2013 - after almost three months of rain

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida