Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't find Parisian Silk...any good?

Posted by funnthsun 7B - NC (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 10:26

I was planning to order a Parisian Silk from Naylor's, but they told me they are out of stock. Can't find this one at any of the top few that I trust. Anyone grow this one? I just need to know if it's worth chasing this one down! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't find Parisian Silk...any good?

Naylor Creek was the only place I know of that sold it. I only know that it's obviously gorgeous, and that Don Dean is the one who introduced it. I have a couple of plants from D. Dean, and they've been great. I know his plants have been greatly complimented here on the forum, as both beautiful and as hostas that grow well. Hopefully you'll get some more feedback from your question.

Don B.

o
RE: Can't find Parisian Silk...any good?

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 10:46

Wow, where was I when you needed me in August ‘eh ?

This is another I acquired this year. This time from Naylor. As Guacamole Don indicated, Naylor is the only vendor actively selling it. It is a Don Dean blue hybrid. A cross of the white-backed form of H. longipes var. latifolia x H. 'Dorset Blue'. Don Dean is notorious for producing some of the best blues, which was largely the appeal when deciding to buy it.

It came to me small back in spring. One of the most noticeable characteristics about it is the ‘halo’ that Gary describes on his website listing. The edge is not variegated, but holds slightly less wax and makes it look like you took a highlighter to the edge. It is a soft yellowish hue. The leaves definitely ‘glow’ when you look at them. I noticed the ‘halo’ after it first emerged, but unfortunately it got hit with aphids shortly thereafter and the soap I used washed some of the wax off.

This is a very sturdy plant. The leaves are thick and held on top of strong petioles. It grew well for me despite all the rain and constant humidity.

Mine is still super young and has some serious growing up to do, but this is another I would highly recommend if you can justify the inflated cost. I attribute that largely to limited supply and how new the cultivar is.

But again, don’t let me talk you into buying one. :)

Ludi

Parisian Silk - 05/09/2013 - fresh after emerging

P5090035

Parisian Silk - 05/30/2013 - this is after it was sprayed

P5300061

Parisian Silk - 08/31/2013 - after almost three months of rain

P8310046

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here