Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

The hosta "shrinking" virus?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

Last night at garden club, a fellow gardener brought up a problem that I had also experienced with my hosta, but I was surprised by his diagnosis and wondered what you people might think of it.

Basically, the problem is that we used to have large, mature, healthy hosta (you know, strangers stop to comment on these beauties!--that type of hosta). We've grown them successfully for many years. Suddenly (past year and a half for me, this year for the other fellow), the hosta start shrinking--I can't think of any other word to use. They just get smaller and smaller and then just fade away into nothingness.

We've tried feeding, watering, moving to a different spot, etc.--everything we could think of. They just won't grow and seem to keep on shrinking.

Leaves look reasonably normal--no blotches and such as I've seen in pics of disease on this forum.

My fellow gardener (I just met him last night) said he talked to a local nurseryman who is well-respected in our area. The nurseryman said the shrinking phenomenon was caused by the virus going around that has hosta growers everywhere trembling. I was surprised, since I had not noticed "shrinking" being cited as a symptom of hosta virus disease.

When I inquired earlier on this forum what might be causing the problem, I was told it was my nearby trees (birch and maple). However, the fellow gardener claims he has NO trees near his shrinking hosta.

So, does anybody else have any ideas what the problem is? In one year's time, our hosta go from big impressive showpieces that get everybody's attention to small shrinking disappearing hosta that no one notices (except the gardener).

Kate

Comments (19)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you chris--I was quite skeptical about the virus diagnosis, but my fellow gardener was emphatic and insistent that our common hosta problem was caused by a virus. But it was odd how both of our hosta suddenly started shrinking during the past year.

Glad I checked here. He has thrown out all his (formerly) big beautiful hosta and refuses to grow any anymore because of the supposed shrinking virus. I moved mine about a month ago to a new bed and have been taking care to water them regularly (we had a prolonged drought last year). They haven't really grown much, but at least are not shrinking--but I'm worried about the hot blast of sun they get for a short time in the late afternoon.

I will carry on, hoping my hosta survive and finally thrive again. Most of the things you recommended I already do for my hosta, so I'm assuming they need more water! (I hope.)

Kate

• trudy_gw
    10 years ago

Wonderful advise Chris!

• roxanna
    10 years ago

Kate, you might place a patio umbrella in a position to shade your hostas from that late afternoon HOT sun. =)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for that good suggestion, rosanna.

• User
    10 years ago

Kate, the umbrellas work. I have 4 in my garden which I like very much. It is needed here, where the afternoon sun boils the water in the leaves without that umbrella shade.
    I also bring in my sun tolerant potted plants such as palms and a ficus benjamina, which give shelter to a few hosta. The sun is on its journey southward already, so I've already moved the umbrellas to take advantage of the longer rays....not so much high in the sky, and the days are getting shorter as well.

Hosta are strong, and they will come back. Too bad your neighbor lost faith in them.

And here you see the ficus in the background, the yella umbrella standing in a new spot where I moved it a few days ago.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

A 'Shrinking Virus...'

Well, whoever made that up is creative, I'll give him that...My bank account has the same disease, coincidentally...So does my lawn... : )

Don B.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocassin--I just love your big free-standing umbrellas! Never would have thought of that. That won't work where I have my hosta planted (shade of the western side of the house, with the property line just a few feet away--only shade I had left on my property), but for future reference, where does one buy an umbrella stand or whatever it is called that your umbrella sits in?

Now that you mention it, Don, my purse is suffering from the same "virus." LOL

Kate

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Lol Don. . .I suffer from the same virus. . quite contagious, dontchathink?

Mocassin--great idea with the big free-standing umbrellas!

• singbird111
    8 years ago

I have the same problem this year.I have over 100 hosta plants I my garden and this year I have noticed that my big beautiful hostas that usually spread out to 5 feet were barely a foot across. The others that I replanted in the shade where they belong aren't growing at all .I am besides myself what to do about it.I fertilize with osmocote they get enough water and I use liquid fence on them to keep away the deer

• in ny zone5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Chris has great advice.

We need to deep-water and feed the soil. You plant a young hosta in enriched soil, the nutrients get used up by the plant over the years to grow, and when little is left it no longer can support all those leaves, so it will shrink. The problem with mulch is that voles can run under it and slugs can hide in it.

I seem to notice that my hostas grew better this year after I gave them several pounds of Epsom salt and double the usual 10-10-10 fertilizer, all broad-casted.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

singbird needs to start a new post next time ... tell us where she is.. what trees she grows under ... and what kind of bad weather she had last year ... and this year ...

her question really has nothing to do with this very old post...about an alleged virus ...

i have suspicions .. but will answer in the new post ...

ken

• James NJ
    3 years ago

out of curiosity, of my hostas were planted last season but some of them were repeatedly eaten down to the crown by deer, would that cause them to have really small leaves this year? And now that I have the deer under control, will they recover next year?

• beverlymnz4
    3 years ago

Read Ken's advice above about starting a new post.

• HalfMan HalfCichlid
    2 years ago

I have hosta beds that have grown to 500+ plants over 30 years. About 14 years ago, Creeping Charlie invaded my property. Although a healthy symbiosis has evolved between "Charlie" and my hostas, know Charlie is robbing my histas of moisture in some areas and I have experienced the shrinking problem.

• hdosick
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have the same problem zone 6a. I have over 100 hostas all over my property and this is happening on all different areas with all different varieties..cannot find help anywhere not even hosta society

• hdosick
    last year

I have the same problem here in zone 6A I have over 100 hostas all over my property This is happening in all different areas and with all different varieties I cannot find help anywhere with this problem not even the hostas society

• almosthooked zone5
    last year

I know why my hosta had the "shrinking virus" It was totally from the damn maple tree roots . The hairy roots were strangling the hosta and before I finally got them all dug out from under them they were q/5 the size they started at. I now potted them and are finally coming back to the size they were 3 years ago or larger

• Terry Haselden (7b, SC)
    last year

Every single time I have had this issue I have dug the hosta up and it was being strangled by roots from nearby trees. When I say nearby, they may be 20 feet or more away. Tree roots may extend to the edge of the canopy or beyond. Having said that, I am also convinced that some varieties of hosta do a much worse job of competing with tree roots than others.