Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnydj_gw

Transplanting Hostas?

SunnyDJ
9 years ago

We've recently done some remodeling and I need to change some switching in the flower beds....When is a good time to transplant a hosta? And is there anything special I need to do when I do move it? Thanks for any help.....

Comments (10)

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Lift it out with a pitchfork.

Kick it across the yard

Throw in new hole

Water,water,water

That's about it....

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Um....
    You forgot the requisite cursing as you try to live the darn thing out of the ground, while its roots want to stay in the hard, dry soil.

LOL.
    Excellent advice. It'll act like its feelings have been hurt, but it should perk up quickly.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

If you lift it out with as much undisturbed soil around the root mass as possible, it should keep right on as if nothing happened....I do it all the time! Any time during the growing season! Oh yes, water, water, water!

Ken's tape trick will also work like a charm and make the job easier and quicker! :-). Mind you don't fall on your behind like I did, dragging a large Sagae out of the hole! Lol

Jo

• brucebanyaihsta
    9 years ago

Only time not to transplant hosta:

when soil temps will be >80 overnight
    or low soil moisture and air temps> 90 degree
    or planting in direct sun from 11 AM-3 PM
    or... using poor soil (sand or clay) and keeping dry for a few days after planting .....

If any of those conditions apply,wait for weather change, modify soil, do both and water, water, water.

I do regularly divide in the summer and bleach solution soak the divisions, then keep in cool moist newspaper in plastic bag for 2-3 weeks.

Monitor for fungal attack ( which will happens if temps go up) and dry back slightly if you need to

For June-Aug transplants, always limit direct sun or cut off leaves to reduce moisture/transplant shock

I have planted in Delaware and Virginia year round, probably would have done it in Michigan but the ground was frozen!!!!

Bruce

• Eleven
    9 years ago

You can transplant anytime really (I do), but August can be the hardest month because of heat stress and extra water the hostas will need. Definitely keep as much of the root ball intact as possible.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

You forgot the requisite cursing as you try to live the darn thing out of the ground,

==>>> OK... you win.. an out loud guffaw ... and spit on my screen ... lol...

sunny... just do it... they are so bulletproof.. you can leave them on the driveway for a week.. if need be ...

depending on how well you do it... they may or may not look good for the rest of the year.. but the odds of them dying are low to nil ...

you have to do.. what you have to do.. with the project.. so just do it...

ken

• SunnyDJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been so worried about digging these babies out but after reading all the responses, don't think I'll have a problem....
    Thanks for all the help and of course the laughs along the way.....

• irawon
    9 years ago

I've accidentally left Royal Standard divisions out on the ground in zone 5 winter and they survived but that's a tough one. I wouldn't try it with Blue Ivory and such.

Bruce, I don't understand why you keep them in plastic bag for 2-3 weeks. Is it because of high temps?

• brucebanyaihsta
    9 years ago

Yes, or that I would not be able to keep their roots moist in the ground until they were growing again.

Just timing; sometimes I can dig and divide in my basement garage when it is too hot outside.

All depends on clump size too- some of the older larger clumps take a lot of work to clean out old dead growth or dead roots.

Bruce