Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is to late for new growth?

Posted by arickrock 7 - Charlotte NC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 10:42

When should I be worried about seeing new growth/new buds sprouting down here in Charlotte?

Seems like I have read that at a certain point if they develop this year it will hinder growth next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is to late for new growth?

I don't think they put out new growth this time of year. If they do, mine need a good "talking to".

I'm off today, sitting here, contemplating fertilizing with regular miracle grow or root stimulator.

Maybe you'll get some good answers.

bk

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:25

Some of mine are. At this time of the year most of the action is going on underground... Roots a-growin'. Here's L. Paisley Print.

-Babka

o

I have some plants still flushing new leaves as well.

Don B.

o

Fragrant Queen has been on a roll for a few weeks. We've still got two months of growing season this far south.

Kathy

o

In my garden,they put out the initial flush in March.followed by the second flush just a little later;then they just maintain those leaves until October,when they go down and go dormant. Rarely do they add any new leaves this time of year. Phil

o

So Sweet, GE, and Guacamole (not himself this year :-() still putting out new leaves :-)

o

Just walked the garden and a bunch here are also putting out new growth. The two that have the most are Guardian Angel (just purchased from Naylor Creek) and Fire and Ice. GA was planted two weeks ago and has put out 8 new leaves. The FandI has a few brand new ones coming out and seems like it has tripled in size in a month.

o

Well tripled was being a bit dramatic, but it has done pretty good in a month.

o

This is my ugly goodness gracious $1.00 buy.

o

A dollar?? Hey that's pretty good!!

I bought some dollar Gold Standards a few years ago, but they were virused : (

Don B.

o

This one is in a quarantine bed. Came from a lowes store. Hoping it will be healthy and can move in a few years.

o

• Posted by Errant 8 SoCal Mountains (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 14:42

I have some itty bitty Guac's that were purchased as bare-roots that are just now coming up :o

o

Thanks for the input everyone.

I know I have read to not fertilize past a certain date so they will "harden" off for the winter.

We have had such a mild summer down here I am afraid the hottest is still to come.

o

Beautiful Fragrant Queen, Kathy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here