Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnywood_gw

Squash Casserole Blooming

This monster is now about 66 inches in diameter and the slugs have not destroyed it yet.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

try to figure out.. which way to hold your technology ... pllleeezzee ....

to my eye.. a lesson ... what i notice.. is the perfect symmetry between scape height and clump ...

none of this shooting out at an angle... or 12 feet tall .... or under the leaves ...

just a perfect clump ... in all aspects ... and dont the light purple flowers just radiate off the golden/lime color???

as we were touring jim wilkins place.. looking at his acre of seedlings.. he mentioned the scape to clump ratio a couple times ...

brilliantly grown plant.. brilliant pic.. thx

ken

• User
    9 years ago

This makes me excited about my Squash Casserole. It's a new plant this year, so "only" about 16 inches wide at this point. It put up one small scape but I'm more of a foliage lover than a scape person. So I can't wait to see it gain size like yours. Lovely picture.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Sunny, your photo is sideways. That's what Ken is talking about using the phrase "which way to hold your technology". It appears right to you and other tablet users, but is sideways to anyone on a laptop or desktop that is not using Windows 8. If I use Chrome, I can click on it and it will right itself in another window, but I really don't like Chrome.

I never use my tablet for anything other than reading, but I have read that if you hold the device with the button on the right, your photos will be right side up.

You're not the only one to post sideways and upside-down photos. I will generally just skip threads with those kinds of photos, as they drive me crazy, but Squash Casserole is one of my current favorites.

bk

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

I am able to right click on the photo and then click on 'view image' and firefox almost always turns the picture as it should be.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry about the screwed up picture . Don't know what happened. I take all of my hosta pics with my iPad . I did just crack the screen ,so maybe that has made a change in the orientation.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just took this one with button on the right. Let me know if it shows right side up.

9 years ago

lol ... thanks for trying.. its still turned to the right... lol .. no effect at all ... to repeat: I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TRYING ...

when i click on it.. it opens properly in a new window ...

i dont really mind it with one pic.. its in posts ... where there are lots of pix... i just give up like bkay ...

anyone want to comment on my observation of the scape height to clump height ratio???

ken

• User
    9 years ago

I'm thinking about making a comment, Ken. :)

I'm trying to figure out what that ratio might be when the plant is in a container. Just start at the top of the pot I suppose, measure to the top of the plant, then measure to the top of the scape.....

....but....so many of my scapes flop over when the flowers open. They don't stand erect all the time. I suppose I can hold them erect and see what the ratio is that way.

I want to comment on Squash Casserole and her sports all being about the same ratio. Then, take a look at VICTORY. My LORD, that one goes crazy. I need a step ladder and a carpenter tape of 10 feet to measure the height of the plant, plus the scapes 4 feet above or beyond the leaves. And they go serpentine fashion all over the place, with heavy flowers and then even heavier seedpods. It sets LOTS of seedpods.

Frances Williams and Elegans are much more sedate and matronly in their scape height, though their seedpods are numerous and very close to the top of the leaves. Then think about little Blue Mouse Ears with its nosegay scapes clustering right at the top of the leaves. That ratio is quite different than Victory, or even Squash Casserole.

You are right, the pictured Squash Casserole is a beauty. It took from 2012 to this year for mine to really shine in a pot, with me understanding its need for light. I admire the effect of this plant.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Sunny, you need to put your button on the bottom, then. It's the same as the photo you first posted. It's oriented with the top toward the left when we look at it.

I suppose one of these days, when we all get caught up on technology, we can all see the photos the way they should be oriented. Until then, some will click twice and answer questions and others will just go on to the next post.

bk

9 years ago

I suppose one of these days, when we all get caught up on technology,

==>>> wellllll... thats the day they will change it all .. lol ..

moc.. its a ratio.. that is pleasant to the eye .... not a mathematical/scientific formula ...

unless you want to reduce it to such ...

ken