Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
santamiller

Didn't Expect This From My Fragrant Blue

santamiller
9 years ago

This is a first year plant from Hallson Gardens. It has been a solid green all year. I was gone most of this week and came back to find this on one leaf.

Comments (8)

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

How pretty. Don't you just love those unexpected streaks! I remember buying one that didn't look so great but it had one leaf that was half dark green and half chartreuse. Turned up half & half the next year and then it was unrecognizable the following year. Eventually I think it turned out to be Tokudama Flavocircinalis and I love it.

• User
    9 years ago

Hmm, that is interesting, Santa.
    Yesterday I took some pictures which includes Fragrant Blue and its white edged sport FB Ribbons. (which lost its white edge second year, but it came back this year).

Mine both start in the spring as blue leaves, then turn darker green. Your streak of dark green would be about the color of my entire plant.

Here both are yesterday.

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

moccâ¦.that FB Ribbons is gorgeous! I'll put that one on my wish list. I like the idea of putting dates your tags. I hadn't thought of that.

Does a streak usually mean a full color change is coming over time and/or can lead to more steaks in the future or are they often just a one time thing? I've had darkening and lightening of colors but never experienced this sort of thing before.

• User
    9 years ago

Well gee, I wrote a whole response, and clicked, now it is totally gone. What was I saying? My mine erases once I dump the data.

I'm not familiar with characteristics of leaf changes, Santa. I got my first streaking hosta this year. Hope someone can answer to your satisfaction.

I give you the way FBRibbons looked soon after I got it in 2012 from Naylor Creek. It was the prettiest powder blue I ever saw.

Then in 2013 it came up without the white margin, and I could really tell it looked like Fragrant Blue. Taken in May, they are still blue here.

Then another picture of 2014 early in the season. Like April 16. Our spring was fairly cool so the blues looked great. I put FBR in the back of others, made sure it stayed in the shade to avoid burning the creamy white margins. Other than turning green later on, the margins are still good. It has good substance like FB does.

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your 2013 plants look wonderful! So full and healthy. I've yet to have any of my blues come out blue.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

Santamiller, I better check your order to see what was in it because that doesn't look anything like Fragrant Blue so I wonder if there was a tag mixup. It shouldn't have been so shiny, light green so I'll have to see what else was in the order that the tag may have been swapped with - and get you a real fragrant blue if you don't have one.

Sorry!

Chris

• User
    9 years ago

Chris, thank you for responding. When Santa said it was from Hallsons, I did not voice my puzzlement over the light green look and the different leaf shape.

Santa, good example of how something can wind up mislabeled even with the best of intentions.

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris, I appreciate you looking into it for the sake of knowing what it is but please don't worry about replacing it. I'm perfectly happy with it just as is. I knew the color looked nothing like the picture but I assumed that had to do with the out of norm hosta climate here causing strange things to happen, especially with blues. My blue angel looks great but is a very dark green, which I know is more common in blues sometimes. BK in Dallas has said that her blues are rarely or never blue, so I really didn't give it a lot of thought.