Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Transplanting hostas now

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

I am thinning out a very overgrown hosta garden. The leaf stems are extremely long as they try to fight for light. I have dug a whole truck load and am starting to divide and transplant.

My question is what to do about the leaves. They are all drooping on the ground and I wonder if I just leave them be or should I cut them back? I don't care about how it looks so that isn't a factor --- just want what is best for the roots.

Comments (8)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Do not cut back any leaves, they generate the reserves for growing next year. If you do not like the leaves lying on the ground, you can string adhesive paper (painter's, masking) tape around the plants to keep the leaves up. Ken had that original idea. I just used it when giving away hostas, no leaf was lost in the process. Bernd

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

A few pics of what Bernd was stating - this is done before move and left on for a week or two to let plant get settled and water pumping up the petioles. Also makes is easier to handle the clumps when transplanting.

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

Taping up the leaves makes it easier to dig out the hosta too.

Not that I have many hosta in the ground....until yesterday out of nearly 400 only 3 individual hosta were actually PLANTED.
    Now I have about 6....so far. Going from pots to the ground, they did not miss a beat, plus it rained an inch last night quite unexpectedly, and this morning they look wonderful.

But I use the low tack blue masking tape, which will come off on its own frequently, but if not it is easy to take off. It causes no problems if you let the small new leaves stay free, they will continue to grow, and the larger leaves will not be bothered by their pets being gathered into a big bouquet.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if you dont want droopy leaves.. you dont do it in AUGUST.. crikey ...

lets see.. what did i just type in another post.. oh.. i will go get it ..

====

they will make it.. if you provide water ..

they just aint gunna be pretty for the rest of the year ....

some guy did a brilliant post on HOW TO TRANSPLANT A FULLY LEAFED OUT HOSTA ... or some such nonsense...

perhaps if you use the GW search up above.. with that title you will find it... in case you do it again .. but also ... to compare your process to his ...

his brilliance revolves around using tape.. has he ever mentioned such.. lol ...

anyway.. they will be there next spring.. trust me ...

ken

==>>>

what is it with peeps digging up heavy water users in the high heat of summer ..... jimminey .....????

i know.. i know.. its when it had to be done.. been there.. done that ...

ken

ps: cricket ....

• User
    10 years ago

Ryse, just in case you are new here, may I extend a Welcome Aboard to you? If your hosta are so big you have a truckload to move, then really and truly, you are an ole timer! I'm an ole timer but not with hosta.

Off the top of your head, do you remember any of the names? How long have most been in your garden? If a long long time, we can pretty much guess what the majority of the big clumps consist of. It is wonderful to see pictures of mature clumps, and also how large they can get when undisturbed.

Any pictures you can upload of the original clumps, I'd appreciate seeing them. And thanks for joining in the fun here at the Hosta Forum.

• roxanna
    10 years ago

so, Ken, will i be able to transplant very large hostas sometime in September without problems?? is there enough time before first frost here in Massachusetts for them to settle?

come to think of it, tho, why am i worried? i once dug up a few hostas and left them in the shade of a big maple tree, on top of the ground; they remained there for over a year, thru winter, and i finally planted them -- they survived! ain't hostas wunnerful?!

• jamie81
    10 years ago

Paul, I can't believe it. Even when you are transplanting hostas, they are immaculate. Every leaf in place. How??? do you do that. I love your pictures.

Ken, sometimes you have to do what you have to do, when you have the time.

This year, in MN, we had no spring. If you need to move things, sometimes you have to just do it.

The thing I like best about hostas? They are hard to kill. Not that I haven't done it, but its not easy.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

oh crocus, i thot it was ROPE not TAPE!

new york city?

use some tape

ÃÂ_ÃÂ --~

dave