Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bishop5_gw

Hosta Leaf - What is this?

bishop5
9 years ago

I noticed last night that a few leafs on one of my NOID Hosta has a definite different appearance. I was thinking it was possibly a virus or nutrient deficiency.

"After" picking off one of the leaves for a picture this morning, I added sport as a possibility? If so, I probably should not have picked it.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this leaf. The plant has about 3-4 of them .. less this one.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

not a virus ..

not a sport ...

i dont know about nutrients ...

its near sept for most of us in z5 .... if not elsewhere ...... i dont spend a lot of time wondering about wonky leaves.. this time of year ....

crikey ... they could be frosted down in a month or 6 weeks...

which means.. it definitely NOT TIME TO BE FERT'G....

they need to be slowing down for fall... not growing too fast ...

if you can remember.. give it a little fert next june ... see if that makes a difference by next fall ...

lol .. and on that logic and time frame.. is a sure indication why it never gets done around my place... little chance i will remember next june.. and even if i do ... i wont remember next fall .. lol ...

ken

• bishop5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken ... just found the tiny streaking through each vein interesting and odd.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

oh.. i complement your observations...

i have enjoyed the same many a time ...

i just dont want you freaking out about virus.. or some such ...

never stop looking... just dont be chicken little .. of which i didnt expect of you.. its more a message for lurkers and neophytes ....

ken

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Like Ken said, no virus or sport...a common appearance for new foliage...

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Bishop, that is a great close-up! I have experienced much of this in the new leaves, hosta to hosta...more noticeable in single coloured leaves like yours. Quite interesting in variegated ones as they transition. Really great shot!

Jo

• bishop5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Don, Ken, and Jo. I appreciate the comments. As a newbie to Hosta gardening and a frequent lurker on this forum, I have learned sooooooo much in just a couple months. In this particular case, I will watch this Hosta to see what appears in the spring. I'm very glad this was not a sign of a virus.

Along with this forum, I keep the Hosta Library and a couple other resources open in a separate tab for easy reference.

We purchased our property 18 months ago. It's a large city lot in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. About 1/3 acre with 9 big oaks and 30 other trees (I've never got a good count on trees) and between 50 - 100 Hostas. Along with a couple daylily's and ferns ... Oh .. and lots of weeds of every type.

Other than a nice stand around 3 of the oak trees, the remainder is all hodge podge. With this groups inspiration, I've begun identifying, purchasing, and building planting areas. Thanks to everyone!!