Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andi_mn

late sales

andi_mn
10 years ago

northernfolks..I see that funkie gardens has 50% off thru labor day. if you buy hostas now, do most of you keep them in their pots over the winter or put them in the ground? how late to successfully plant? I know this comes up every year but it becomes timely every year, lol. thanks. going to be a killer week here in Minnesota, water, water, water. andi

Comments (14)

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

I will be at that sale with bells on. Last year in Oct. I bought hostas that had already gone dormant and were simply pots of dirt to look at. I planted them in the ground and every one of them came up this year.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

those in the great white north.. have to worry about the freeze/thaw cycle ... ejecting plants at soil thaw time ... or worse.. some weird that in the middle of feb... and you dont find them for 2 months ....

nothing worse than finding a hosta up out of the soil in late march or early april ...

as such.. you need to get them planted.. early enough.. based on your soil... that they can grab hold...

i used to insure that all my plants went in the ground the first few weeks of sept.....

ken

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Went to Funkie Garden this afternoon and purchased at 50% off
    Luna Moth
    Dance With Me
    Lemon Ice
    Key West
    and a nice Limelite Hydrangea half price

A very nice way to spend a hot Saturday afternoon. It was very shady and cool there.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

So jealous! I have been perusing the Bridgewood "ugly plant sale" though. I can really do some damage at plant sales!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Me too, Jadie. They have a lot of hostas that many other places don't have, I'm seeing. Lots of 'Lakeside' hosta as well.

Don B.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

What are you looking at, Don? I already put in one order last night, now I'm back for more. :)

Don't you have Piecrust Promise? I am mulling that one...among others, of course!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Don't have 'Piecrust Promise' yet...I'm looking at 'Hippodrome' 'Daddy Boomer' 'Finlandia' 'Lakeside Legal Tender' 'Lakeside Feather Light' and so many more!

And 'Mustang Sally'.

Don B.

• kalija
    10 years ago

Ohhhh - I shouldn't have looked at the Bridgewood sale!! Don - you got me by mentioning the Lakeside's - I have been kind of collecting them lately. We live a half mile from Lake Ontario and spend most of our summers on the lake. Anyway, I ordered Lakeside Storm Watch, Lakeside Dragonfly, and Lakeside Ring Master; along with Satisfaction and Yellow River. I wasn't planning on getting any more hostas untill spring but the sale tempted me...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL I know, it's the sales; They make it too easy to get more!

Don B.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Ugh, you guys suckered me in to looking at Bridgewood. I just ordered a half dozen unplanned hostas. Oops. Looks like I need to make room in the temp bed. I guess this means I get the chance to see how they grow before adding them to a permanent bed next year! And before anyone asks, here was my order:

Garnet Prince
    Gemstone
    Pacific Blue Edger
    Penny Lane
    Reptilian
    Shade Fanfare
    Sparkling Burgundy

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I will make you feel better...I ordered over a dozen. :)

Olive Bailey Langdon
    Brother Stefan
    Tambourine
    Golden Meadows
    Holly's Velvet Piecrust
    Lakeside Kaleidoscope
    Midwest Magic
    Olympic Sunrise
    Rhino Hide
    Piecrust Promise
    Queen of the Seas
    Blaze of Glory
    Yesterday's Memories
    Sergeant Pepper
    Parky's Prize
    Eventide
    Reptilian

• User
    10 years ago

Thank you for the introduction to Funkie Gardens. I spent that evening pouring over their website. How fortunate you are to have it within visiting distance. Oh my, I must put it in my GPS in case we are near there EVER.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Good score, Jadie!! You're gonna LOVE 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope'.

Don B.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Oh, Don, that is gorgeous! Thanks for the preview of things to come. Let us know what you ended up with.