Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bchosta

The Whiter Shade of Orange!

Orange Marmalade has been the âÂÂsuper modelâ of my garden this year - garnering the most shots over the weeks as the plant transformed its appearance.

Here are some pics from yesterdayâÂÂs shoot - the white look, with just a dab of yellow, is clearly here to stay for the rest of the season!

BC

Comments (17)

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I envy your success. It's been a bust in my garden, but yours is gorgeous.

DD

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

OH MY!!! BC, another gorgeous specimen! Looks mature? How old please? I can only hope the division my daughter shared with me will look that good!

• hostanista
    9 years ago

I have never seen a better looking (read: "GORGEOUS") Orange Marmalade in my life. Mine is embarrassing compared to those photos above. Tell us your secret please.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

BChosta- WOW! That's a dazzler! That is one very happy hosta. Location, location, location.

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

Of course it is growing in BC, the most perfect hosta growing spot on this continent! Besides Michigan I suppose. :)

That is an awesome hosta, BC. It makes me think perhaps I can grow a "white" leaf after all. The closest I came was with Brenda's Beauty, with much the same variegation and color change, but not the totally white look.

Have you taken a look at a Brenda's Beauty? It might work as nicely for you as Orange Marmy. Should you run across it somewhere, consider getting one.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I love this plant and was worried that mine was getting too much sun but now that I see the white it is just as beautiful as the orange it was earlier in the season. Thanks for reminding me.
    Faye

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Looks like I have to move to B.C. Yes, HAVE to.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Wow. Gorgeous hosta BC. Gives me something to look forward to. I've only thought of OM being orange and never really appreciated the white till now.

{{!gwi}}

• timhensley
    9 years ago

I've had mine for years and have thought many times of adding it to the compost pile. If it had ever come close to looking as good as yours I would be thrilled. Beautiful specimen!

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

My experience with this plant along with that first photo convinces me even more that the secret to this plant is to grow it in a pot.

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jo,
    I bought this plant two years ago, but it did have several divisions at the time - it certainly wasnâÂÂt small. I paid a bit more for it than I usually do, but it was the first time I had come across one locally. Even though BCâÂÂs temperate climate is ideal for hosta cultivation, there is a distinct shortage of retailers here as compared with Ontario.

Here are a couple of shots taken last year in a different location - I donâÂÂt have any to compare with the previous year when it was purchased.

This one was taken in August, so itâÂÂs either receiving more sun this year at the front of the house, or weâÂÂve just experienced an especially sunny July (could be the latter!).

Hostanista,
    When you move to BC, can you please pack a few hosta retailers into your luggage! As for my secret, there isnâÂÂt one! Perhaps Babka put it best - location, location, location!

Moccasin,
    Thanks for the tip!

Faye,
    ThatâÂÂs a mighty fine plant that youâÂÂve got there! I know what you mean about trying to maintain the yellow for as long as possible however - itâÂÂs so striking! Here are a few pics taken from earlier in the year.

May

June

July - and so the transformation begins!

I appreciate the positive feedback and comments from all the other posters!

BC

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

OMG. This is one of the hosta I've been eyeing for quite some time.
    IRL, it really does look absolutely beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing the pics.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Thank you for the additional pics, BC! Absolutely in love with this plant!
    There is something magical about the photo from June....the colour of the border sooo reminds me of the hosta June!

Stunning! If I owned that very hosta, it would win my Top Gun award! Maybe next year.......when mine grows some more!

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Wow! What a stunner! Top gun for sure!

• hostanovice
    9 years ago

Do these appear to be the same thing?!

• hostanovice
    9 years ago

Another. Mine are pretty chewed up but just trying to compare

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hostanovice,

I'm not positive, but your hostas do have a similar appearance to orange marmalade. You may just have a mass planting!

Alternatively, they might be Paul's Glory - when mine was younger, it also bleached to almost white when it was placed in some sun. If they quickly develop bright yellow centers in the spring, they could be OM. If however, they take some time to yellow up, then maybe the latter. There are also several others with this colour combination - so it's hard to give a definitive response.

Regardless, they should create a riot of colour next year!

BC

This post was edited by BChosta on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 23:40