Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Whiter Shade of Orange!

Posted by BChosta 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 10:58

Orange Marmalade has been the “super model” of my garden this year - garnering the most shots over the weeks as the plant transformed its appearance.

Here are some pics from yesterday’s shoot - the white look, with just a dab of yellow, is clearly here to stay for the rest of the season!

photo 2014-08-04212458_zps08716d62.jpg

photo 2014-08-04212603_zpse156e3e0.jpg

photo 2014-08-04212648_zps5511b82c.jpg

BC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Whiter Shade of Orange!

I envy your success. It's been a bust in my garden, but yours is gorgeous.

DD

o

OH MY!!! BC, another gorgeous specimen! Looks mature? How old please? I can only hope the division my daughter shared with me will look that good!

o

I have never seen a better looking (read: "GORGEOUS") Orange Marmalade in my life. Mine is embarrassing compared to those photos above. Tell us your secret please.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 14:33

BChosta- WOW! That's a dazzler! That is one very happy hosta. Location, location, location.

-Babka

o

Of course it is growing in BC, the most perfect hosta growing spot on this continent! Besides Michigan I suppose. :)

That is an awesome hosta, BC. It makes me think perhaps I can grow a "white" leaf after all. The closest I came was with Brenda's Beauty, with much the same variegation and color change, but not the totally white look.

Have you taken a look at a Brenda's Beauty? It might work as nicely for you as Orange Marmy. Should you run across it somewhere, consider getting one.

o

I love this plant and was worried that mine was getting too much sun but now that I see the white it is just as beautiful as the orange it was earlier in the season. Thanks for reminding me.
Faye

o

Looks like I have to move to B.C. Yes, HAVE to.

o

Wow. Gorgeous hosta BC. Gives me something to look forward to. I've only thought of OM being orange and never really appreciated the white till now.

o

I've had mine for years and have thought many times of adding it to the compost pile. If it had ever come close to looking as good as yours I would be thrilled. Beautiful specimen!

o

My experience with this plant along with that first photo convinces me even more that the secret to this plant is to grow it in a pot.

o

Hi Jo,
I bought this plant two years ago, but it did have several divisions at the time - it certainly wasn’t small. I paid a bit more for it than I usually do, but it was the first time I had come across one locally. Even though BC’s temperate climate is ideal for hosta cultivation, there is a distinct shortage of retailers here as compared with Ontario.

Here are a couple of shots taken last year in a different location - I don’t have any to compare with the previous year when it was purchased.

photo 232_zpsf950be0e.jpg

This one was taken in August, so it’s either receiving more sun this year at the front of the house, or we’ve just experienced an especially sunny July (could be the latter!).

photo 011_zpsce9752f6.jpg

Hostanista,
When you move to BC, can you please pack a few hosta retailers into your luggage! As for my secret, there isn’t one! Perhaps Babka put it best - location, location, location!

Moccasin,
Thanks for the tip!

Faye,
That’s a mighty fine plant that you’ve got there! I know what you mean about trying to maintain the yellow for as long as possible however - it’s so striking! Here are a few pics taken from earlier in the year.

May
 photo 2014-05-24195349_zps0c6a9dec.jpg

June
 photo 2014-06-02orangemarmalade_zps2ebb23d7.jpg

July - and so the transformation begins!
 photo 2014-07-01220757_zpsb0ae0e74.jpg

I appreciate the positive feedback and comments from all the other posters!

BC

o

OMG. This is one of the hosta I've been eyeing for quite some time.
IRL, it really does look absolutely beautiful.
Thanks for sharing the pics.

o

Thank you for the additional pics, BC! Absolutely in love with this plant!
There is something magical about the photo from June....the colour of the border sooo reminds me of the hosta June!

Stunning! If I owned that very hosta, it would win my Top Gun award! Maybe next year.......when mine grows some more!

o

Wow! What a stunner! Top gun for sure!

o

Do these appear to be the same thing?!

o

Another. Mine are pretty chewed up but just trying to compare

o

Hostanovice,

I'm not positive, but your hostas do have a similar appearance to orange marmalade. You may just have a mass planting!

Alternatively, they might be Paul's Glory - when mine was younger, it also bleached to almost white when it was placed in some sun. If they quickly develop bright yellow centers in the spring, they could be OM. If however, they take some time to yellow up, then maybe the latter. There are also several others with this colour combination - so it's hard to give a definitive response.

Regardless, they should create a riot of colour next year!

BC

This post was edited by BChosta on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 23:40

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here