Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ash0709_gw

Hosta transplants

ash0709
10 years ago

I've transplanted several hostas around the foundation of our new house. Only about 1/2 are making it. Could the soil be to rich? We dug out our pond and used the black mud to start grass in the same area. It's shaded well and the grass is doing fine. Or do i need to plant bigger transplants?Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Are they in too much sun? Did you water them enough?
    I usually place a shade in front of freshly planted plants and keep them watered frequently.
    Perhaps the black mud is not draining well. Hostas love good drainage, and like to keep the roots way down wet, but the crown dry.
    Bernd

• User
    10 years ago

If you have a picture of the situation, showing the size of your transplants, it could help. You say it is shady, so sun exposure might not be the problem. More than likely the "mud" is just that, too muddy and not enough oxygen for the roots, so they are steaming and cooking. But seeing is better than guessing.

Like the blind man guessing about the elephant when he only touches the wimpy tail, it's hard to tell what we have here. :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

they will make it.. if you provide water ..

they just aint gunna be pretty for the rest of the year ....

some guy did a brilliant post on HOW TO TRANSPLANT A FULLY LEAFED OUT HOSTA ... or some such nonsense...

perhaps if you use the GW search up above.. with that title you will find it... in case you do it again .. but also ... to compare your process to his ...

his brilliance revolves around using tape.. has he ever mentioned such.. lol ...

anyway.. they will be there next spring.. trust me ...

ken

ps: you could have left them on the driveway.. and they would still be there next spring ... if you figure out a way to kill them.. let me know ....

• ash0709
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very little sun, and tons of water! Draining though might be a good place to start. It was nice and dried out to dirt when we added the pond mud/dirt to it.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County