Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
morning sun vs. evening sun

Posted by upnort (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 08 at 11:07

Ive never seen anything written about evening sun and hostas and yet I would think there would be a difference, even if slightly. Since I had a very large tree fall part of my hostas now get about 3 hours of morning sun and 3 of late afternoon/evening. So far so good, but Im wondering if and how much of a difference there is. Anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: morning sun vs. evening sun

avoid the HOT sun of the day ... the hosta sweat too much otherwise.. give off more water than they can replace.. leading to burn .. or decline ...

i am NOT talking about 2 hours.. i am talking all sun from say noon to 6 .. and shade on either side of that window ... that would be bad sun ...

NEVER FORGET .... hosta are shade tolerant.. not full shade plants ....

down a page or two.. you ought to find a discussion of such ....

ken

o
Morning sun vs. evening sun

I'm a newbie gardener(I prefer the eating as to the growing), so I'm a little lost. With my veggie garden I wanted to do a type of tallest-to-shortest arrangement with my plants. But I don't know if I should arrange the plants so most get morning sun or evening sun. (The tallest would shade some of the shortest one way or the other)

Oh, and I got corn, tomatoes, cantaloupe, cucumber, squash, cilantro, basil, various pepper plants and strawberry; and live in Sacramento if that helps...

Any ideas? Suggestions? Greatly appreciate it :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here