Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epw0946

Moving hostas now

epw0946
9 years ago

I have to move quite a few hostas in the next couple weeks. Some are 10-15 years old and 3-4 feet across. I plan on putting them in the ground in very large holes. I don't plan on leaving them in that spot, I will transfer them back in the spring. I have moved large hostas (but not this large) and tied them up as I have read here. Question - any suggestions?? any thoughts??? should I put them in pots?? should I tie them up? I don't look forward to this but it is very necessary. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Comments (6)

• User
    9 years ago

Why are you moving them just to move them back? (I assumed some landscaping or grading or construction work - but I know others might be curious too.)
    I pulled out 10+ year old 4-foot-wide hostas recently, but I let them come out in clumps. I did not tie them up because I knew I would not remove them in their original clump sizes. But tying up seems to be the method I've seen other people use. Then dig around and around until you get the fork or shovel under.
    I'm sure others will have much more advice, but if they don't need to stay in their original clumps, it's easier to remove them in sections. For the most part they'll naturally fall apart where they need to and you can move in sections and "reassemble" or take the opportunity to make some new plants.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

some guy did a post about such... but i cant find the link

ken

• dg
    9 years ago

Yes, it is suggested to tape/tie up the floppy leafs which should make it easier get a hold of them for moving.

I would not put them in pots. That sounds like a hassle for you over winter and big investment, given the age and number of hosta, especially since you don't plan to continue growing them in pots.

If they are really large, after digging, wrestle them onto a tarp and drag the tarp to the 'holding area'.

Bear in mind, I have never tackled a project like this, but if I were to and since the hosta will be moved back to the original garden in the Spring, I would not dig them in.

In the designated 'holding area' I would place them against each other on top of the ground in a mound formation. Deepest (tallest?) root ball hosta in the middle area, then the next deepest placed around that and so on protecting each other as the root ball gets shallower. Then I would mulch the outer ring's exposed roots to protect them from drying out.

Water the 'hill o hosta' well to settle them in and keep them watered if you don't get regular rains through Fall.

Hopefully someone with actual experience will share their knowledge.

• dg
    9 years ago

Oh, Ken posted while was typing, he's the guy with the 'actual experience' I referred to.

• dg
    9 years ago

Here's the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Ken's experienced advice

• epw0946
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thank you all for the valuable advice. I plan on using it this week. And we do have to move them because of a type of construction we need to do. A large maple needs to be cut down in order for other construction to be done. This all needs to be accomplished right through this hosta bed ;-(
    I am just sick about the tree and the hostas. Don't mess with my hostas!!!!!