Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlebug5_gw

Wu slow?

littlebug5
10 years ago

I planted my first Empress Wu about 6 weeks ago. She still looks exactly the same as when I planted her - except for a bit of sunburn on one leaf and a few little chew marks. But no new leaves. She started with 4, and still has 4. I've been watering her regularly and watching her closely.

So this morning I thought I'd move her because maybe she doesn't like it where I planted her (south side of the house, about 2 feet away from the foundation, pretty much shaded all the time). She's about 3 feet from a yucca.

I couldn't get my spade in the ground! Roots, roots, roots! Are they hers, because she's been growing where I can't see her, or are they yucca roots? If they're yucca roots, I will definitely move her.

What do you think?

Comments (12)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Relax, breathe, continue to water and check how it's doing next year..... Empress Wu is a good grower.

Paul

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

If you are seeing sunburn on the leaves and root competition in the ground I would move it. While you can't expect tons of new leaves right away (give it 6 years before judging it, not 6 weeks) you also want to give it the richest most moisture retentive soil you've got, without root competition. I really don't think a hosta could root out enough to prevent a spade from getting into the ground, so I would think it was something else. Brush away the soil to see what kind of roots they are. Hosta roots will be a single strand, whitish looking root.

Empress Wu is a good grower in some gardens but not in all gardens.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

wow .... have you not grown large hosta before...

there is a good chance.. it will look the same next year..

and barely bigger the 3rd year ...

they have one growth sprurt per year.. in spring ... yours was done growing for the year.. before you got it...

for the next 2 to 3 years.. it will be doing all its business.. underground.. growing the root mass to support an XL hosta...

UNLESS... you keep digging it up ...

the only thing that failed here.. is your expectation...

as noted above.. take a breath... put down the shovel.. and STEP AWAY ... except to try to drown it ...

good luck..

ken

ps: with a hosta that has the potential to grow 4 to 5 feet wide.. why did you plant it 2 feet from the house ... perhaps you should move it... hmmmmm....

• hostanista
    10 years ago

My Wu has been in the ground one year, planted last summer. Here's a picture of it then and now. I don't think it's a slow grower. It's in dappled shade in the morning and full shade the rest of the day, under a canopy of very tall spruce trees. It produced 4 large scapes this season. I'm really happy with its progress. I saw an absolutely massive one at Shades of Green Hostas, a supplier near me recently and was surprised to learn it was only 3 years old.

• littlebug5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well - 3 votes for wait-and-see, and one for moving it away from the yucca. DH tells me I over-love my planting and get too anxious. :) I guess he'd agree with 3 of you.

BTW, I planted it 2 feet from the house foundation fully expecting it to reach 4 feet across - I want it to touch the house - when it's grown.. It's on a corner..

• hostanista
    10 years ago

It'll grow way more than 4 feet across.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I'd say move it away from any known root competition, to a nice spot for it to settle in.....and then wait and see.

Good Luck with The Empress,
    Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

This is my Wu planted last year under the same conditions as Hostanista's. I did move it a few weeks ago to allow for more space. I expect big things from the Wu next year. I don't think its particularly a slow grower.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Four feet across???? How about double that. It will be banging into your wall in just a few years.

-Babka

• esox48
    10 years ago

If you expect your hostas to do something in six weeks, you need to change hobbies.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

My Wu is in its 3rd year (maybe 4th).

It's more than 5 feet across.

You're planting during the time of year of root growth, not leaf production.

My Wu is taking a good bit of sun too. It does fine there, but you've probably shocked it by moving it into sun when it's not used to it.

• littlebug5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL. Yes, I know I am into instant gratification! But I would like SOMETHING from Wu to show that she appreciates my care and concern.

I'll try to cool my heels .. . . . . .