Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helianthuslunaria

Hosta ID, please!

helianthuslunaria
10 years ago

This is the only one I have, received in a trade with no ID last year, I'm totally new to hostas so any advice you have on the subject as well is welcome!

The closest I can get using hosta searches is 'Louisa', or 'Sea Gull' according to the search though I can't find any photos of that one.

Flowers aren't fragrant, and are striped with pale lavender, kinda hard to tell. Noticed the scape maybe a week and a half- two weeks ago.

I'm getting some new ones soon, 'Ice Prancer', 'Maui Buttercups', 'Andrew', and 'St. Paul'. I'm so excited!

Amanda

Comments (8)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I have a few, among them a new one still in pot from someone who didn't know I had it...looks just like your photo.

I believe it's called H. Undulata AlboMarginata.

You are going on quite the journey into hosta land! I'm excited too for you, Amanda!
    Jo

10 years ago

WELCOME to the Hosta Forum!

• helianthuslunaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your welcomes! XD

That does look quite close, my main concern though is that the leaf shape of undulata albomarginata looks more rounded, and there are a larger number of vein pairs, like 8-9. Mine has 4-5 and looks more lanceolate to me.

Amanda

10 years ago

You're quite right...the young one in pot is as you describe it...a lot of juvenile hosta look different from mature ones...I went outside and compared vein count and size...my mature clump leaves have vein count from 9-10give or take and yes, the leaves are wider (widen a bit with maturity). I'll post my pics for you.:-)

Also, others will join in with their opinions...mine doesn't count yet, if it does at all lol

10 years ago

More mature clump...Hosta Registry quotes mature sizes...this one having 7-10 vein pairs

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

welcome OP ...

your plant is not healthy .... its struggling in the pot ... i SUSPECT you have dirt in there.. with some mulch on top ... and maybe its planted too deep ....

if you are going to keep it in a pot.. you will need to do a new post on potting MEDIA ...

mother earth is SOIL

MEDIA or medium.. fills pots..

and DIRT is whats all over you.. after you play in either ...

the proper media is all about water management..

once your plant starts growing properly.. THEN... it will be easier to compare ...

ken

ps: if you want to get up to speed.. lock the doors.. turn off the phone.. and spend next weekend.. reading all 60 odds pages of posts... lol ...

• helianthuslunaria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, did not know that the leaves could change that much in maturity. Well thank you both, I'm going to lean towards this variety unless I see otherwise.

Any other voices? =)

Amanda

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Is that flower scape really, really long? From the size and shape of the scape and flowers I wonder if it is Regal Splendor. The foliage doesn't really look like anything, but try to get this into the ground to give it a better chance to show its true colors and once it is growing better I'm sure we can ID it.