Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sm4657

My 2 Blue Hawaii Turning Yellow

sm4657
10 years ago

I just planted 2 Blue Hawaii hostas this last spring under some pine trees that have filtered sun light....also I have planted numerous other hostas in the same
area (Sun Power - Guacamole- Earth Angel- Blue Mammoth-Jurassic Park-June). Since the area is dry, and we are in a drought, they have been watered every 5-7 days and soaked well.

All of them are doing very well, except the Blue Hawaii that has started turning yellow. They look healthy except for the starting of yellow...The Blue Hawaii are planted about 12 feet from each other....
Could it be that they are starting dormancy now in the latter part of August? Any suggestions on the Blue Hawaii?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

we are in a drought, they have been watered every 5-7 days and soaked well.

==>> in drought.. i would water them at least every other day.. and under mature pines.. probably EVERY DAY ...

you are 5 to 6 days overdue...

they are going heat or drought dormant ... when they should be storing energy for next spring...

increase water substantially.. and cross your finger.. plus pray ...

why that one??? .. because.. is a good enough answer ... because that one is not getting enough water ....

ken

• trudy_gw
    10 years ago

Many of hostas in zone 5 are starting to go dormant because of the lack of rain. Water them but dont leave them sitting in water.

• sm4657
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info......
    Do the Blue Hawaii need more water than the "average" hostas?
    I also have astilbe's planted within 6 feet of the Blue H. and they haven't wilted or anything....I do know that some 2 yr. old Great Expectations I have in the front yard under a pine require more water than say the Krossa Regals that I have.....maybe a good idea would be to dig a few inches from the Blue H. and see if it is dry.....
    I am always afraid of over watering....

update....I did just now go out and dug into the soil beside the hostas and the ground was damp....This is day 3 since my last watering....

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I've got a couple hosta who think its Fall already. Lol

Last week we had low night time temperatures....some trees up North were already turning leaves ....could these low temps have triggered early dormancy in some of mine...maybe? Clueless here...guessing game...have been watering more over here too . . . I yanked the yellowing leaves off.

I did notice that today, a spring-blooming anemone beside my June re -bloomed, which it does not do. Because I don't know any different (clueless), I'm attributing it to the plants confusion with the weather....spring-like..warm days, cold nights. Nice surprise with the flower anyway. :-)

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

My hostas are starting to go dormant,and it sure isn't because of lack of rain! We are at least 2 feet above normal rainfall for the year,and more is coming today. I'd gladly trade you all for LESS rainfall! Mine , because of too much rain,and they have been up since March,besides. Phil

• sm4657
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah...the weather has been crazy here in central Iowa. It has been cool for August....in the mid to low 70's, 50's at night. The rain either goes to the northern part of Iowa, or to the southern part of Iowa....here in the middle, we haven't had rain in 2 months! Then this week it is in the high 80's.....just crazy.
    Maybe the hostas figure it's dormancy time.....dunno.