Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vpeterson_gw

Favorite small/medium sun tolerant hosta

vpeterson
10 years ago

I spent yesterday digging out the snow-on-the-mountain in my island garden. All that is in it is peonies and the snow-on-the-mountain. The SOTM looks great in the spring but gets scorched by late summer. I am thinking of adding sun tolerant hostas to this island. I have a sun tolerant hydrangea (quick fire) to put in the middle section. I am thinking of putting a H.'Francee' in one of the middle sections but it may be too big. The peony are staying. I now have those long sections to fill in but the hosta can't be too large. I was thinking of moving my Golden Scepter in there. Any other favorite sun tolerent smaller hostas? The island does get some shade at different times of the day.

Comments (19)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

In my gardens, 'Luna Moth' and 'Mister Watson' take a lot of sun and still look good. 'June' of course, is a good one, too.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I wouldn't put 'Francee' in that bed with a lot of sun. That one tends to burn and look really bad (at least at my house). I got rid of it all together.

'Dragon Tails' is a fun mini/small hosta with bright color that can take a lot of sun.

Like Don said, 'June' is an excellent choice. It's at the top of most people's favorites list.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 12:55

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Maui Buttercups' is another good one that takes a lot of sun in my garden. Of course, I keep everything well watered. Water is the key when growing hosta in the sun.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I also like 'Frisian Pride'. It grows like a weed and takes a ton of sun in my garden. This one is a juvenile. If you look it up in the hosta library, you'll see how gorgeous it is all grown up.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Marilyn Monroe' has gorgeous, rippled leaves and can take quite a bit of sun. Again, this one's a juvenile. I know other members have better pics of it as a grown up.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Stained Glass' is also at the top of my list for color and sun tolerance.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I have Francee in full sun. It gets all of it, all day long. It takes it here in my zone 4 garden. I water also. However it will get too big. Blue Moon has taken almost as much sun, a little morning shade, very well. Also Fragrant blue has been a tough hosta for me.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Wheee!

Little Aurora

Toy Soldier

Ray Of Hope

Praying Hands

To name a few. Wheee! is the best looking out of them all except for Praying Hands in regards to leaf scorch, as in it doesn't have any scorch on the leaves and it is in sun during the hottest time of the day. The others have a little bit of scorch and some had a touch of damage due to frost. Wheee! seems to like where it is, it has grown a lot.

Karen

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

I agree that Maui Buttercups and Rainforest Sunrise are good for sun tolerance. Golden Scepter burns easily in the sun, though, so I don't recommend that one if this is a really sunny spot. The mouse ears family is known to be really sun tolerant, but maybe too small. I think the whole Halcyon family of plants, along with Devon Green and June Fever, are also good with sun.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Dark Star' is another small/medium sized hosta that will take the sun.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Lemon Lime' is a good little grower and likes the sun.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Another member mentioned 'June Fever' as a good choice.

You might try adding some heuchera into that bed as well. They don't get very big, come in a wide range of colors and tolerate a lot of sun (especially the dark leaved ones).

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Here's a late season picture of 'June'. I think it's pretty all of the time, but especially pretty in early spring.

• kalija
    10 years ago

Sunny Disposition is one that is in 4 hours of direct sun in my garden and still looks good.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

June and Patriots are the best in my garden. June with > 4hr of afternoon sun and Patrits with >6 hrs of sun (8-2:30) in my garden. No issues with burned leaves at all. Stained glass in the same location does get some burns, and Francee had to be removed due to serious burns

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

That's really interesting - how different hosta do in different places. By this time of the year, most everything at my house has a few crunchy patches. This year, Dark Star burned. It's one that my dog got, though, so it's reverted to juvenile leaves and is small again. Francee never burns for me. It's 101 today, by my thermometer. This is Francee just now. (She isn't in a lot of sun, though.)

bk

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Someone mentioned 'Rainforest Sunrise'; I have mine in lots of sun.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

'The Razor's Edge' is next to it and also takes the sun well. I added 'Maui Buttercups' to the right this year, but it hasn't been there long enough to confirm its liking for the sun.

• User
    10 years ago

I had Summer Music in a LOT of sun, here in zone 9a. It stayed beautiful in sun ....patchy shade in early morning, then mostly sun from then until mid to late afternoon. Beautiful tricolors. In this picture, it is the white and shining hosta near the lower left where the pathway turns. It had lots of water this year, maybe too much!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio