Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do spray the soil with to kill Nematodes?

Posted by Hostas_for_Barb 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 11:57

I had read on this forum that someone had some success spraying a chemical on the soil to kill Nematodes - maybe it was in the fall after the clean up but it seemed to kill them off and prevent a return in the spring. I am in the US for another day and am hoping to be able to find and purchase whatever it was. I'm from Ontario where it is probably banned and I can't purchase it. I've searched through the threads but can't find the reference. Can anyone tell me what the chemical was and where I might find it? Or anything else you do that might help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do spray the soil with to kill Nematodes?

Here's the post.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Another nematode question

o

Thanks bkay. That was the post I wanted. Did you ever try the BioSafe Disease Control?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can buy it at a Big Boz store so I guess I am out of luck.

o

I was told to plant lots of marigolds to stop them and only marigolds for a season.

o

Thanks Zackey. It is a vicious circle. I can't grow Marigolds because of all the snails and slugs. They eat them down to nothing.

o

the marigold story.. is a myth ...

ken

o

I disagree, Ken. It is even on University of Florida EDIS site as a cure for nematodes.

o

Doesn't mention anything regarding foliar nematodes (EDIT: in regards to a cure, that I could find) though, which is too bad. I read on the UofF site that it can be somewhat successful for some types of nematodes, which is great, but it's not a cure.

If I had to plant marigolds with my hostas, that would almost be worse than foliar neems.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 17:08

o

Marigolds only control Root Knot nematodes. They don't control Foliar Nematodes. It's the foliar nems that disfigure Hostas.

The Bio Safe stuff (formerly called Zero-tol) can be ordered directly from Bio Safe or from Amazon. You could also use Ammonia and water as a soil drench. I'd use 15%. Or just go with the boiling water. They can't take the heat.

Steve

o

There are 'Good Nematodes' and 'Bad Nematodes'

What can I do about nematodes?

First, if you can, use a lot of organic matter such as compost in your plant beds. This organic matter will help prevent the nematodes from migrating to your plants.

Once there are nematodes in your soil, the only thing you can do is replace or solarize your soil. This is best done in the hot summer months. The solarization process is as follows:
•Clean all plant matter and other debris from the area to be solarized.
•Place two layers of clear plastic over the soil.
•Between the layers of plastic, place a divider such as a 1" plastic pipe.
•Seal the edges of the plastic with soil.
•Let the sun beat down on the plastic and soil for a couple of months.
•After a couple of months remove the plastic and enjoy growing plants in the nematode free soil.

This process will kill pretty much everything in the soil down to the depth of about one foot. Plants or turf can now be re-introduced to the area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Master Gardeners

o

I haven't tried it yet. I'm not going to plant anything until next spring. I have to divide my So Sweet #1, as it's not as attractive when it's wider than it is tall. I'll probably use those leftover pieces for my planter box.

My nematode infested soil is in a planter box, which is in total shade. The sunshine thing might work in another location, but this planter is on the north side of the house and has it's own overhang.

I keep thinking about using a steam cleaner in some way to get steam down into the soil. I think they do it for farmers, so it's possible that it will work. All I have to do is figure it out.

bk

o

bk,

Why not try it with the plastic cover and inject the steam into the plastic pipe rather than using the sun to cook the soil. Check the temperature with a thermometer. Nematodes are dead at 120 degrees. If you get 120-130 degrees, all around, for 10 minutes especially the corners, they should all be dead. Maybe you could cover the whole planter with a plastic 'tent' duct taped together with CPVC pipe or sticks as support with the steam injected into the tent Stick a thermometer in the soil and check it through the plastic (clear obviously)

Just be careful with the steam.

Enrich the soil with a lot of compost and composted cow manure and this should help keep them away. I think this encourages the 'good' nematodes that eat insects and, I thought, bad nematodes to some extent.

Jon

o

I've always heard to either remove the soil or to pour boiling hot water onto the soil to kill the nems.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 0:34

There are beneficial nematodes and bad ones too. I buy the good ones to eat grubs in the soil. (to keep the raccoons away) I cannot get rid of the root-knot ones on my tomatoes that I HAVE to grow in the same place each year (sun exposure).

The ones in hostas are IN the leaves, not the soil.

-Babka

o

Babka,

Recent research on Foliar Nems shows that they overwinter in the crown of the plant and in the soil.

Steve

o

Steve, Thanks for mentioning this. I just ordered a bottle and plan to give the soil a drench around known foliar nematode problems. I think I should give drenches in late fall and in early spring. I used Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer (has Merit) this year again and see only perhaps 8 single leaves with damage from foliar nematodes.
I have much more slug problems, those from very small baby slugs. There we would need a killing spray.
Bernd

o

Steve: you mentioned that you use 15% ammonia? Isn't it hydrogen peroxide in bio safe? I have used 10% ammonia to kill slugs and slug eggs in the spring with some success.

o

The recent research showed Immidocloprid (Merit) to be about 70% effective in killing Nems in the Lab. It also showed either H2O2 in Biosafe (Zerotol) or an ammonia and water solution to kill 100% of the nems.

I used the H202 regimen this Spring using a hose end sprayer. First wet the area with just water (soil and plant) before spraying.

1. Spray when the "bullets" are an inch or two out of the ground. Drench the soil around the targeted plants.

2. Spray one week later. Make sure you get all surfaces of the plant and drench the soil again.

3. Spray again after another week in the same way.

The only change I made in that schedule was to move the spraying time ahead if we had a high humidity or rainy day. I would spray right after the rain. The point is to kill the nems when they are on the plant surfaces and migrating from the crown and soil into the leaves. They do this when humidity is high or it is raining. They use water to move.

During the growing season I would spray with ammonia and water right after a rain. This, of course, controls slugs, but I would concentrate my attention on targeted plants making sure to get all plant surfaces.

I had about 8 plants that I targeted. On five of those I have not seen any evidence of nems at all. On three plants I have pulled off 2 or 3 leaves each with some damage. But the most important thing was in managing the damage. I've seen no spread of nems to any other plants this year.

Steve

o

Very useful information...Thanks for sharing, Steve!

Jo

o

Well I already bought the household ammonia for the slugs so I guess I will use it now and try and target the Hosta showing Nematode damage. I am pulling the damaged leaves off when I see them but I know this does not solve the oroblem. Thanks for the info Steve.

o

I will get my bottle of Bio Safe tomorrow. But I am worn out with planting and checking and spraying. But I have plants which had damage last 2 years and look healthy this year. I just sprayed again with Bayer. It's a constant fight against nematodes, slugs, crown rot, voles and other critter. One critter walked around biting off leaves at the petioles. That can get deadly for very young plants. Liquid Fence helped.
Happy Gardening!
Bernd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here