Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swanlake999

Can you help ID these two hostas?

swanlake999
9 years ago

Thank you in advance for helping a hosta newbie identify these plants. I have spent many hours on this forum over the past week and I am amazed by the wealth of information that is shared!

The first hosta is one I have had in a pot for at least five years -- this is from the "I have two pretty hostas but have no clue what they are" period of my gardening life. The second hosta (in the forefront of the second picture) is one I bought at a neighbourhood sale yesterday. The lady was digging out and selling all of her garden plants. (I also bought a beautiful medium sized hosta June from her - $10 each). The second hosta is low-growing and it was the foliage was spread over river rocks. I potted it in an 18" wide/18" deep container but wonder if I should cut the leaves back in order to alleviate stress on the plant.

Hosta 1

This post was edited by Swanlake999 on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 12:13

Comments (4)

• swanlake999
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second hosta:

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Hello SwanLake,
    The first looks like fortunei Aureomarginata and the second looks like undulata.
    Vanessa

• swanlake999
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Vanessa!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

SwanLake, whatever you do, please do not cut off the leaves. The plant needs them to sustain itself. I would suggest that you lay the pot on its side, straighten and gather the leaves, use masking tape to tape all around as close to the leaf blade as possible. Insert a bamboo stick, or a small branch...anything to keep the bound leaves as erect as possible. Pull them together just tight enough without cutting into the petioles/stems.

The plant has gone through stress, its water supply has been disrupted when dug up which is why they are drooping. Water it well. It will perk up in a few days. The tape will fall off by itself once the plant is perky again. I think Ken said the tape should fall off in about a week or so.

All that said, that is a well-grown and pretty pristine Undulata ... I don't see any holes from slugs/snails at all :-)

Jo

P.S. Here is a link - a thread of Ken's that explains the tape theory. Good pic and info showing how to tape, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to move a leafed out hosta

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 17:11