Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalija_gw

Best tree to plant hosta under?

kalija
10 years ago

If you were going to plant a small tree or shrub to shade your hostas, what would you pick? I have a corner of my hosta garden that is getting a touch too much sun, due to my neighbor removing some rose of sharon trees. Its at the northwest corner of my house. I'm thinking about a small tree or shrub for that corner. Right now the hostas over there are doing ok; some are faded more then thay should be.... but we have had a cool wet summer. If this was a normal year I am afraid they would be crispy! I need to pick something that will not provide a lot of root competition, but how do you know? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, as always for your help!

Comments (24)

• Eleanor B
    10 years ago

Japanese Maple

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Ditto! It's clean - no falling debris...pretty, colourful and offers filtered shade.

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion - I probably should have mentioned that we already have a Japanese maple directly behind our house; so I would like this tree to be something different; since it is adjacent to it. I agree, they are really nice trees, I have a seedling from it growing out front; and two more growing in pots right now - but they are extremly slow growers. It will be a while before they are ready to plant; but I don't really want to buy one now that I have them coming along... Any other suggestions for something a little different?

This post was edited by kalija on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 13:55

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

I have heard that Blackgum trees are good because of their root systems not being shallow, but they are slow growers and can reach 90' tall when mature.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Oak is always a good choice,and they grow faster than you think. Phil

• idiothe
    10 years ago

We live in a zone where Japanese Maple are marginal... I've used weeping crabapple trees... one of them we actually planted to have a slanted trunk, then when established, used a rope and a cement block to get as bonsai-like bend. We keep it trimmed to keep a horizontal umbrella top with space to accommodate hostas underneath...

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Ginko. They come in all sizes and have no disease. I'm also considering Beech. I don't grow Beech, but if someone does please comment.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I grow hostas under large Eastern white pines, have no problems with them.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

How about an Oklahoma Redbud? Make sure to get that cultivar as it is far superior to the garden variety. Deep, dark pink blooms and leathery leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Redbud

• Lee
    10 years ago

I'm trying Pee Gee Hydrangae tree for another new hosta garden.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

I was thinking Redbud too. I have one that is probably 8-9 years old and haven't had any root problems digging under it to plant hostas there. It's a beautiful tree in the spring and in summer, the heart shaped leaves are lovely. Great yellow colour in the fall.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Here's a picture in October last year of that same Redbud. Can't go wrong with that one I think.

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hostanista, that is a beautifull redbud - I will put that on my list of possibilities. Ginkgo is another one I have been looking at. Seems they get big but grow slowly so that would be ok.
    I would love to plant an oak but my dh will not go for it. Did I mention he does not like trees? He just cut down a white oak that was growing right on our driveway edge to make way for our new driveway. I knew it had to go but it killed me.
    I never thought about a hydrangea but thats a possibility - it doesn't have to be big for this area, just a little shade. I will research those, thanks.
    Does anyone have an opinion about a Kousa dogwood? Saw one at the nursery earlier this spring and it was lovely. Not sure if the roots are invasive or not though.

Thanks for all the ideas - my list keeps getting longer!

• Dovetail
    10 years ago

I have a redbud "stick" I just planted this year. They ARE lovely! You don't mention your zone, but redbuds grow wild in sw Missouri where I live, and its zone 6.

How exciting to know I can one day grow hostas under it.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Another option might be a Japanese Lilac Tree (Syringa reticulate). Here's one in a shady corner of my back yard, a few hostas planted beneath. Smells wonderful. They do drop their little white flower petals though, but consider it early summer snow.

• User
    10 years ago

Love the ginkgo myself, and the Japanese maple. There are so many varieties of Jap.maple and can all look different. You can make that tree a different kind of Japanese maple, and with two you become a "collector", so don't hang back for that reason.

I've also grown the redbud here in south Alabama. What's not to like about it. Our show is mostly in the spring, not many of our trees put on a show in the fall because we don't chill out dependably. We go from green to brown quickly, with maybe a touch of yellow.

The ginkgo, though slow growing, is one of the best cityscape streetside trees ever. And, it turns bright golden yellow, stays like that for a couple of weeks, and then BOOM, one day the leaves all fall off and look like melted butter beneath the tree. It isn't a messy tree. Once to rake the leaves, and it's done for the winter. Most nurseries only sell the male trees.

• Buxas
    10 years ago

Hi; My experience is that European Beech are quite good at using all of the soil moisture and not letting other plants under them be happy. Kousa Dogwood would be a good pick. I have some big ones (25 ft tall) that have happy hostas under them. However at my house they reseed like crazy. I pull out 100 or so each year (not an exaggeration). Do not tell the plant nazis though. They would ban them as an invasive non-native.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I have just planted under an "ancient" common Lilac and found no interfering roots anywhere near the normal depts. of my hosta plantings. I've put in 6 hostas this spring and they are doing wonderfully. Plus there is the early spring fragrance of Lilac.

They make a nice small tree fairly quickly when you prune them up.

Except for falling walnuts, and a hunting dog going crazy over marauding squirrels the foliage and root system of the American Black Walnut is perfect. My only experience with Ginko was at our library in Mtn. Home AR. They are so unique, having no twigs from which the leaves grow. I can see where the airiness would be excellent for a mix of shade and sun. I haven't seen any up here in Northern Illinois. Their fall color is great and there is little litter to clean up in the fall.

Being native to Japan Ginko would fit nicely into the hosta theme gardens.

Theresa

This post was edited by gogirlterri on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 13:29

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Knowing where you are in zone 6 would help with ideas as Kansas zone 6 differs from say Ohio zone 6.

Ginkgo (native to China) are always nice but which cultivar (or straight species) depends on how close to the house you are thinking of planting. I have had a Cornus kousa for 12-13 years and haven't notice any invasive roots. Fall color varies but last year was pretty good.

Cornus kousa 'Satomi'

{{gwi:328795}}

If I were to do it over again, I'd get a white flowering kousa.

tj

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a beautifull kousa, tsugajunkie, thanks for posting it. I am in western ny. I am still trying to decide between one of the smaller Kousa's or one of the dwarf ginkgo's for this spot. I was hoping to get it in the ground this fall; but it looks like I will have to wait until spring; the local nursery's don't have a lot of choices right now. But at least I have an idea of what I am looking for! I am definitly pushing for a white kousa dogwood for another spot out front though.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

The western end of my front yard is dominated by a mature Kwansan Cherry. Though only about 20' tall, this spreading tree provides a great deal of shade. I have added a Japanese Red Maple, a Redbud and a Kousa Dogwood to the front beds..

The multi-trunked cherry tree (upper right in photo below) provides shade for hosta beneath it as well as the front bed see on left.

Even on the south side of the cherry, the hosta and bed mates grow quite happily.

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Doublefile viburnum. Beautiful in bloom, beautiful in fall color, easily pruned to shape not too tall, not too small.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful property, Harry!

Don B.

• Smiddycroft
    9 years ago

Trees with tap roots as opposed to fibrous root systems allow the hosta to compete for water.