Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomahawkclaim

Sun Tolerant hosta

tomahawkclaim
15 years ago

What hosta are large and sun-tolerant? I want to intersperse hosta on a hillside currently covered with daylilies. I've already got Sum & Substance and Krossa Regal.

Should all the sports of Sum & Substance retain its sun-tolerance? Should Regal Splendor retain Krossa Regal's sun tolerance?

I'll be going to a hosta auction in Ohio on Aug 16th and I'd like to have a list of good options. Thanks, everyone!

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

any hosta with white will be problematic in the sun ...

i wrote this in other posts:

white tissue is basically dead to the plant .... reduced food production.. and IMHO ... reduced transpiration .... or ability to 'take' the sun ...

they melt out in too much sun ...

but the plant will fade away in to much shade ....

real tricky to properly site a plant with such problems ..

when the perfect place is found ... they are spectacular ...

good luck

ken

• dbowemd
    15 years ago

Yes the sports will retain the sun tolerance of the original plants. The most sun tolerant ones are the fragrant ones. Invincible is very impressive in this regard. Plantaginea and Royal standard do very well in a lot of sun.
    Dave

• tomahawkclaim
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, Dave, will Guacamole, Fragrant Bouquet, Fragrant Dreams and Stained Glass hold up in full sun? I love all of those in my garden now and would happily split them for the daylily hillside. NCM

• dbowemd
    15 years ago

Yes those are very good in lots of sun. Plant them this year and they will do well when they emerge in the sun next year, even though they might not look so good this fall. Don't forget about watering.

Dave

• creatingadream
    15 years ago

I must recommend Orange Marmalade, Sun Power and Pineapple Upside Down Cake for the sun too.

Diane

• papou
    15 years ago

Top 3 sun tolerant hostas ÂSurvey posted by Katsu Oct. 19, 2005
    (hosta receives min. 6 hrs of direct afternoon sun)

Abiqua Moonbeam
    August Moon
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Guacamole
    Alex Summers
    Golden Sculpture
    Jewel of the Nile
    June
    Night Before Christmas
    On Stage
    PaulÂs Glory
    Stained Glass
    Sum and Substance
    Sun Power
    Thunderbolt
    Fragrant Blue (performs well in a lot of sun.)
    Zounds

• papou
    15 years ago

"Perfect Perennials" informs us that the most damage occurs from 11 AM to 4PM. They also claim that the thick leaved and fragrant hostas with enough water will also tolerate sun conditions better than others. Additionally they inform us that there is "no such thing as a truly sun-tolerant hosta, zone 6 and south they need some shade. Below I have added ones not mentioned before that tolerate four or more hours of sun without excessive care: Alex Summers Aztec Treasure Birchwood Parky's Gold Blonde Elf Blue Mammoth Blue Unbrellas'Calypso Chartreuse Ruffles Choko Nishiki Feather Boa Fragrant Gold Green Fountain Green Wedge Glory Gold Regal Gold StandardGolden Anniversary Golden Tiara Green Sheen Hadspen Blue hypoleuca Hoosier Harmony Inniswood Joker June Lady Isobel Barnett Lemon Lime Mackawa Nancy Minks OnStage Paul's Glory Venus Radiant Edger Regal Splendor Sagae September Sun Shining Tot Solar Flare Summer Fragrance Sundance Sun Dance Sun Glow Treasure undulata Albomarginata Vanilla Cream Vera Verde Whirlwind Wrinkles and Cream Zounds Just remember, the more sun, the more water they need.

• dbowemd
    15 years ago

My Sun Power didn't tolerate sun when it was young, but has been getting better after a few years. I have seen some Sun Power looking good in a lot of sun.

Dave

• papou
    15 years ago

Dave,
    My Sun Power takes about 4 hours of sun and is one of my best plant. It is now very large:

Papou

Here is a link that might be useful: Papou's Hosta website

• pzelko
    15 years ago

well just think about years past.....the best time to TAN yourself was from the hours of 10am and 2 pm! i used to do that when i was much younger and try not to do that with my hostas unles i give them ALOT of water

paul