Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please do a little bragging and share pics of your hosta beds

Posted by madeyna 7/8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 12:17

I would love to see beds of the gardeners here. Everyone posts alot of pics of individual hosta but not a whole lot of pics of the beds as a whole. I feel like a little eye candy this moring and what a great way to get to know the people here. Also on a little different line would my hosta clumps mature sooner if I planted each new type in groups of three panted close together in a triangle? It works well with bulbs .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please do a little bragging and share pics of your hosta beds

I've had good luck with putting thee together. They don't mature any sooner (Nice large leaves, etc.), but they look larger and full using the three (or even 2) technique.

bk

I grow in pots, so this is the closest I can come to a bed shot.

o

I prefer individual plantings so I can showcase more hosta since I have limited space. This is the garden I created for my community so it is not actually my ground, but I have carte blanche to do whatever I please. It is still a work in progress with the center containing new hosta I planted this year. It was originally an eyesore located 40 ft from my front door.

photo IMG_1781_zps893fdea8.jpg

DD

o

Very pretty I like to garden the neighbors yards as well. I am currently trying to talk one of my neighbors into a limelight hedge between our property. I cann,t put it on my side because of my horses. He just thinks I,m nuts. He is a if you cann,t eat it why grow it person. His wife is on board with it so sooner or later I hope she will get him talked into it. I enjoy container gardening up by my house. Its nice to beable to move things around for new looks depending on what is looking good at the time.

o

Hi there...

Here is a bed with all the hostas except one being of the fragrant-flowered varieties.

Don B.

o

My garden was a bust this year,due to a late spring freeze,but here is a pic from 2012,of part of my garden. Phil

photo Gardensection2012_zps7e1856df.jpg

o

One of the beds under the pines...

Don B.

o

I took a walk around with the iPhone and took some pics today. This is one of the ones worth looking at.

Kathy

o

And this is a newer one with my aunt's bowling ball for decoration. My brother and I took many trips to Nashville, TN to take care of her last year. She's now safely enjoying a residence in a nursing home near my brother in Illinois. She is the bell of the memory care unit because she's comparatively high functioning. Dementia is directly correlated with high blood sugar levels even before the diagnosis of diabetes. If you have diabetes or dementia in your family do some research and talk to your doctor. The brain you save may be your own.
Ok, off the soapbox.
Kathy

o

Madeyna, very good idea to make both your yard and the neighbor's look wonderful.

Have you thought about taking cuttings of your Limelight hydrangeas to get them large while you wait on this hem haw guy? Keep some around just in case he thinks buying all those hydrangea is a frivolous indulgence of (shudder) idle females?

Anyway, I have almost a solid "bed" in my garden, where hosta are concerned. But only ONE bed actually planted in the ground along my driveway, the experimental bed, to see if they can actually grow in this climate. I think they are doing fairly well. Considering.

Here is that bed
IMG_20130825_161545

and here is my Back40 hosta garden

This is the ROUNDABOUT, a rather round bed with a big sasanqua in the middle and a new white fountain. I named it for the roundabout driving circle in Limerick Ireland
20140729_185826

These are a small portion of the fragrants in my garden, with the new shade screen and a bench to sit and relax upon.
20140728_150748

This is my bed in a boat
20140720_101039

And though this is not a bed but a path through the garden, it is flanked by rows of hosta branching off to the left, and marking the way along the fence covered in star jasmine on the right.
DSCN0597

Oh yes. And this is the bed in which my Limelight hydrangea is growing like a champ.
20140707_191459
DSCN0703

o

I can only post one at a time from my iPad . This will give you an idea of what my garden looks like .i can post more later.

o

As someone with Diabetes, I thank you for the information, Kathy.

Don B.

o

This will look odd because it's taken through the window screen, but this is my view out one of the kitchen windows of my hosta slope. I did this years ago to try and prevent the soil from sliding around because it was bare except for poison ivy. (Boy, was that a nightmare to clear out)

o

This is the bed under our cherry tree. the view off our deck.

o

Thank you everyone I love seeing what you have done with your hosta. And yes I already have limelights in the works for when he changes his mind. Why look at a ugly fence when you can look at a beatiful hedge instead?

o

Here is a picture of one of my hosta beds. It is still looking pretty good for this late in the summer.

Linda

o

This was taken in June before the slugs and bugs had their way .

o

Did alot of editing and adding in my beds this year, so things will probably be better next season. Got a few things looking pretty good. Got a new praying hands in this one.

Sherry

o

Got a new frosted mouse ears

Sherry

o

Lovely space you created, Donna!
Kathy, diabetes in my family also. Lost my brother-in-law a year ago to complications. If only he would have taken care of himself.......enough said.
I REALLY enjoy seeing everyones gardens! It always lifts the spirit!

Sherry

o

June, Lancifolia and F. Albomarginata (out of sight) in full sun out in the front bed - no shade until the new City tree replacement gets here. Revamping height placement this fall. Fun!

o

Regal Splendor, Pilgrim, Faith, Lakeside Shoremaster, Orange Marmalade, just to name a few in this pic. Pic taken in July this year.

o

Blue Angel, Sum and Substance, Ivory Coast, Rocket's Red Glare, Striptease, Allan P. McConnell, Niagara Falls to name a few.

o

A treat to see all the beautiful gardens peeps have created. I especially love the intermingling of colorful perennials and annuals in the beds.

DD

o

And on the other side of the pathway...Bridegroom, Fried Green Tomatoes, Blue Angel, Reptilian, Inniswood, Yellow Splash Rim, Tokudama Flavocircinalis and Aureomarginata, Jack of Diamonds, American Sweetheart....

This bed was started just last year. Bought the largest plants I could find! Still some work to do at the top of the hill, needs clearing out of poison ivy, wild honeysuckle, other vines, etc.

o

A pic from earlier this summer.

o

Thankyou all for the pics its really fun to see what other people are doing with their hosta.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here