Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Trying to keep my head on straight.....

DelawareDonna
9 years ago

Too many of your ipad photos appear upside down on my laptop. Is it me or you?

DD

edited to correct spelling.

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 12:39

Comments (50)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its them.. they dont insist on keeping the camera eye of the gizmo.. upright ... i think BK suggested that is the issue ...

usually ... when you click on such.. it opens correctly .. i right click.. and open them in a new window ...

ken

ps: and its you ... lol ...

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

It's likely us iPad/iPhone users! :-(

Please...I would really appreciate it...if I am still one of those, please tell me so now.

I learned last year what I was doing wrong...but may have reposted some old pics this year that were disoriented last year. I was driving everyone crazy I realize, until Bkay told me. I so appreciated the heads-up.

Any pics I take I review immediately after taking them to ensure they are right side up. But, things happen....I appreciate none of us has 360 service with our heads!

Jo

• User
    9 years ago

For iPhone and iPad users (I would assume Android is the same, but I don't use Android phones), it's recommended that you hold the phone so the Home button is on the RIGHT when taking a photo. Like the picture below. If you have a problem hitting the camera button in that position to take the picture, use the volume up button on the side - that takes a photo as well when the camera app is opened.
    HOWEVER, I think people who post complaining about the orientation of the photos are wasting more time posting than necessary. Everyone has an opinion. That one is mine. :)

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HOWEVER, that was a snarky response, and that's my opinion. I very much enjoy viewing the photos posted on this forum, and I'd like to view them right side up. Thank you.

I'm sure your instructions will benefit other peeps taking photos on their ipads - hence my reason for the post.

DD

9 years ago

Donna, would you be a dear and let me know if my pics appear right side up on your laptop? Thanks a bunch :-)
    I'll post one here, taken yesterday. Just a test, if you will.

Jo

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, You mastered the technique - now I can enjoy your lovely photo. Much appreciated,

DD

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I don't know if it's snarky,or not,but using a REAL camera would solve all the problems. Just sayin'? Phil

9 years ago

The thing is, Donna....I THINK I've mastered it, but I'm never sure 100% that each pic that enters cyberspace lands on GW on its feet! Lol

Here's a reward for your patience and indulgence...is it right side up?

Thank you!

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Snarky is an interesting word that I never ever hear. Needs to make a comeback. Just called my 8yo snarky and sent her to her room for being cranky. She gave me the "your crazy" look, then asked why I called her a snorkler and what does that have to do with being cranky. Kids are fun.

If my photos are upside down, please tell me. I would hate that as well. Bit of a peeve when things are not rotated right.

As far as a regular camera, have to say I hardly use one, and don't know many people that still do. The quality of camera phones these days are unreal. Maybe it is a generation thing as well. For photos its the phone. If it is something the family is doing, pics and videos get taken with a gopro. My kids were gifted disposable cameras for our beach vacation this year. When I had to explain to them they were not digital and we had to get the photos developed, they looked at me like I was ancient.

9 years ago

Good point about the camera, Phil. BUT, the problem isn't with what device is being used. It does not matter what you use. (For extreme close-ups, nothing beats a good camera!).

What matters is this: the user has to be cognizant of the orientation of his/her device when using iPhone or iPad or android or etc etc etc when snapping pics.

At the risk of offending anyone (last thing on my mind) i want to offer this little tid-bit. I took a couple of pics of my phone...one in landscape mode and one in portrait mode. It's very clear about how your screen should look when shooting head on. Note the orientation position in upper right hand side.

The minute you start moving your phone (for example) the lower right hand circle may move as well. Ensure it is in correct position before snapping your pic.

With the iPad, the snap button moves also when you move the iPad. It should always be situated on the right side of your tablet.

I'm offering this information to help anyone that is NEW to taking pics with either or both of these devices. It took me awhile but I think I got the hang of things. If I had been more observant earlier on, I would have noticed the button moving on me...I could have had a shorter learning curve! .I recall the little NOID I was trying to get identified...some of you may too, lol. BKay and Paul in Minnesota were so kind and patient! And helpful!

Anyway, fwiw here are the two pics.

9 years ago

The triple circles are key - if you see movement, check orientation.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

So let me get this straight. Donna is all twisted. Jo is only occassionally twisted, hosta freak is snarky and bmonkeys cranky kid is fun. I believe all is right in the world and that brings me comfort. ;)

Ummmmm bmonkeys, I can only hope you think they're still fun in about 5 years. They say teenagers are just preparing us for departure from home. You'll truly understand that soon enough. Lol. You gotta love the little rascals! Here's my next door neighbor that loved helping me plant whenever I'm working in the yard. Is there anyone that could say " no" to that smile?

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

josephines67, Good info. Another thing people can do is view their post from a different device. Generally it will show the orientation as seen by others. As well a person can run the photo through a photo editor, many free online if you don't have one. Just open the picture and resave it. The photo editor will save it as the orientation you see and that is how it will be seen by others.

SCG

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The mice are looking great, Jo, and so are the phones. Thanks for your input.

Snarky - Yes, Bunga, I'm showing my age! lol I do have a kindle. Perhaps I should activate the camera app and get with the program!!

DD

9 years ago

LOL ... and what a darling little helper - I'd never say no! We'd probably have a sprinkler fight for fun after the work. Lol. Love the "occasionally twisted"!

SCG, sweet man- I'm too lazy for all that work! I've just gotta keep my eye on what I'm doing, is all. Lol

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In conclusion I would like to say - orientate your photos properly and you will not incur THE WRATH OF DON.

DD

• User
    9 years ago

I was talking about postings not helping when someone posts a question with a picture, and there are responses, but they're just about the orientation of the photo rather than answering the question. I never find that helpful and feel the question gets lost amongst the photo comments. And calling me snarky doesn't phase me. I don't get upset about name calling on the internet. That's not opinion, that is fact. Have a great day anyway. ;)

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please revisit your opinion. I can better comment on a photo if I don't have to turn my laptop around to appreciate it,and others may feel the same. I feel a lot of information was gleaned from the topic because of my post and feel it was a worthy topic for discussion. I'm sorry I took offense to your opinion, but I felt like you were signalling me out for posting an innocuous topic.

DD

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Josephine67, I don't understand what the correct orientation of the three circles is. They move so they are always oriented to the horizontal no matter how I point my phone. My iPad has no circles, but I don't use it for pics anymore, too many fuzzy ones. They're linked through iCloud.

Donna, Mocc says on her computer if she clicks on the picture it rights itself somehow. Does your laptop do that, too?

Kathy

9 years ago

Hi, Kathy! Glad you popped in...I rely on your expertise to learn from. I've been playing with my phone...when it is tilted about midway between horizontal and vertical that highlighted right hand circle will be out of synch positionally - def. not where it's supposed to be.

I noticed this when taking leaf shots. I turn the phone slowly trying to capture a certain angle and somehow snap at a point (with phone at an angle) that disorients the shot and the circle. This is not that easy to do, trust me! as any slight movement and the circles right themselves as you say, Kathy but somehow Ive taken shots in-between those two moveable points (horizontal/vertical). Interesting photography perhaps, lol but better appreciated with pic in hand than trying to view on a device.

I probably explained this clear as mud, not my strong suit, sorry...:-(

I agree with you about the phone taking clearer pics than iPad. I do get good, clear pics with the iPad however after the sun sets.

9 years ago

When you take a picture on your device and download it to your computer or the internet, both 'see' the information from the device you captured the picture from and orientate it so you see it as taken in the device. To guarantee orientation you need a free refresh.

Being a predominately right handed society the iPhone and iPad are geared for such. Thus if you held the iPad or iPhone normally with the home button on the bottom they are expecting you to take portrait shots this way. Being right handed the best way for you to take landscape shots is to tilt the top to your left hand. More convenient for most.

So if your left handed or unsure how you took your photos quickly running them through a free photo editor can make you looking like the champ,...,,.. not the chump.

SCG

9 years ago

SCG, you are the best! Champ is the choice! Lol
    I'm a born leftie, forced to use right hand as child, which resulted with me being fairly ambidextrous! Thanks for the explanation and I will check out photo editor as you suggested.:-)

Jo

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'm the one who would really like to gripe about the photo orientation, and I opine about it regularly. I use a desktop, as I spend a lot of time working on it. I have a tablet, but don't use it often.

I think it's the responsibility of the poster to get his/her photo straight. It's not my responsibility to change browsers/double click so that I see their photo. I just skip all those posts.

The point in complaining is that the poster will learn the error of their ways and start posting correctly. However, once I (or others) say a poster's photo is upside down or sideways and they do nothing about it and they continue to post with no regard for what other people see, I just ignore their posts. I figure they are too dumb or too arrogant to fix their mistake, so why bother with them?

JMHO

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 12:27

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Ouch.

I say, all you have to do is get a REAL device, leave Apple behind and go to Android--problem solved! Why anyone would ever want to deal with having to jump through hoops because Apple has decided you HAVE to do something a certain way to get it to work b/c they haven't bothered to fix an issue and make it more user friendly is beyond me. Go with an operating system that lets you be the boss instead of Steve Jobs/Tim Cook.

and that really is my humble opinion, LOL. (from a techno-geek)

PS - I agree that there is nothing wrong whatsoever in mentioning in a thread that a pic is upside down. How in the world else would someone know it and fix it, if it appears straight on their device? That's a duh. If my pics were upside down or sideways, of course, I would want to fix them, if I could. I, too, tend to ignore sideways or upside down pics and just keep moving.

9 years ago

I didn't realize apple had any such issues as I've never encountered any on either my iMac, iBook, iPad or iPhone. Maybe it's just my Irish luck! I've never owned a PC or any android device so I can't say if one is better than the other but after 15 years of never having a virus or any problems I love my apple products.

9 years ago

You are 100% right BKay. It's the principle of the thing. Our posts are our responsibility, not yours or anyone else's.

My earlier comment in response to SCG about my being lazy was flippant and stated in jest....thought I had better clarify. My newbie learning curve is over. I have no excuse if I happen to mess up - I can only rectify, apologize and appeal to your good nature! I can also avail myself of tools that eliminate problems, at the suggestions of kind and knowledgeable forum members.

Jo

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AMEN! Truth be told. I "upgraded" my Cannon point and shoot to one with a portrait mode, and I think I have captured some really nice photos, but I can attest to the fact, from veiwing the photos - that iPhones do a really good job, Jo.

I'm sorry, bkay, I don't know what JMHO means. lol

edited to say "just my humble opinion."

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:21

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

I've used both and honestly they are both the same. Apple, android. One is not better than the other for what they are. Different features, eeh, not all that different. Different learning curve for both. Think it is whatever you happen to have learned on first, is what you feel to be the superior platform. They both have equal positives and negatives, and a "cult" like following. Majority of the people on here are not programmers so the freedom a droid gives them will not matter.

To discount apple or steve jobs in anyway is a shame. Every single electronic device you probably use, certainly including your android, was influenced by Apple. Yes google released the android platform first, but it was rough to say the least. It wasnt until after the first iphone came out, that android released a phone worth a darn. That phone was heavily influenced by iOS. Since then the advances both have brought to mainstream technology is truly amazing. But one would have been a much later bloomer if it hadnt been for Apple and Steve Jobs. Being techno geek as well, that is my opinion.

Edited -- soooo funnthsun after posting and re-reading your post realized it wasnt as snarky as I thought. Still digging that snarky word. But wth, everyone needs a rant now and then and that was my rant. This seems to be a good thread for it. Anyone else feeling the need to rant and vent? This thread could be like therapy. Smiles ;)

This post was edited by bungalowmonkeys on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:50

9 years ago

Cute. Techno geek. Hosta geek. Does your hubby know how lucky he is, bmonkeys? My wife is the best but she's not even close to being a techno or hosta geek! Actually I might be the lucky one as she hasn't a clue as to how many hosta's I'm buying!

This post was edited by mac48025 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:59

9 years ago

This is a good thread that just gets better and better! :-)

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

I find this all very frustrating. I only use an iPad these days . All of my hosta pictures and inventory are on my iPad . I wonder if the person or people that write the code for this forum could make a change in the code so that ALL pictures no matter how they are taken would be posted correctly.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

That would be great if the forum could do that. The real problem is that software such as Microsoft and others? are written to ignore the information that comes with the picture regarding its orientation. So, in other words it isnt the Apple products that are at fault, its the way the software is written.

Sherry

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Jo, you did exactly what I think you should have done. You asked which way the photos showed up, we told you, you fixed it and we all go on down the road.

I've not used apple in a long time. When QuickBooks quit doing payroll for Apple, I had to switch. I really liked my Apple products. If you do not have to interface with commerce, then that's the way to go. It's easier to learn and more intuitive (or, at least it was back then).

Just don't trust Apple's orientation on your photos.

bk

9 years ago

Funnthsun, interesting my wife has an Android phone and if I take pictures orientating it the same way as my iPhone it takes the exact same picture, upside down if so, as seen on the net or other devices.

If the devices could talk they would be saying "Your an idiot for taking pictures upside down but since I am programmed to be used by such I will fix it so you can see the picture properly" And that is meant for humour only, not calling anybody an idiot.

Now the challenge for you techno geeks is to take a picture you can see in your device that is upside down. Orient your device however you want :-) LOL

I somewhat disagree that it was the iPhone that changed the world as we see it...the iPod touch was the beast that 'touched' the world.

Now the wrong orientation pictures don't bother me nearly as much as the ones that are so badly out of focus or terrible that you can't even imagine what they are trying to show you. You couldn't see this before you posted? At least the orientation you can't see but this blurry POS......uggg Those usually generate an answer as bad as the picture.

SCG

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Interesting and short read that may help explain this issue better and easy fixes for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iphone photo school link

9 years ago

ahh snapbot I knew there was an app but couldn't find it....thanks for that.

SCG

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Yes, bungalow, I was being playful, not snarky. It's all good, though, I don't get offended easily and pretty much expect the same from others. If it doesn't happen, oh well. A good dose of "life" never hurts anyone, myself included.

I actually recommend iphones to some people, but never to a "power user". They just leave an unsatisfied taste in your mouth to most power users. If you've ever tried to tether a device to your iphone for date usage, you'll understand pretty quickly about the limitations that I'm talking about. You are right, that's not the majority of the people, but that is me and I don't like being limited or told what I am and are not allowed to do. I like more of "the sky's the limit" approach with my electronics. If I can think it, I can do it. That's also why open source software appeals to me. Everyone's different, that's just me. My point is, though, you just never hear anyone say "my Galaxy is posting the pics upside down, how do I fix it?!" Got to be a reason, right? It's always iphones or ipads that it's said about. That could be the fault of the forum software, but it still happening just to the Apple products, it seems to me. OK, I'm droning on, now. Dead horse, and all that :)

Each to their own! Just don't make me look at pics upside down or sideways, that's all I ask, LOL And don't make Don yell at you!!!!!

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Let me put it this way Jo. A real digital camera will ALWAYS show you the picture the way it was taken. When I see professional photographers at a football game taking sports shots with an I-phone,maybe I will get one and use it for a camera! They can't ever take the place of real lenses,that are interchangeable the way I can,and I was a photoghapher long before I ever discovered hostas! 'Nuff said! Phil

9 years ago

Lol, Phil - I like the football analogy! And I respect your opinion.

Did it sound like I was touting my devices over a camera? Oh dear - that's not what I meant to convey at all! because I realize they are what they are...NOT a camera...just a device that conveniently offers a camera function. I've stated before that it's a convenience thing for me and they take good enough pictures to post here. I merely stated what I use-I'm not selling Apple products, I just utilize them. :-)

When I see the pics that Luuk produces with his camera it ALWAYS hits home what a camera can accomplish...and a good photographer. For that matter, that goes for your pics too.

Don't kid yourself, I am fully aware of the differences. I have two cameras. I am not a photographer, don't aspire to be one really, I just take pictures and sometimes I take one or two that turn out so exceptional (if I say so myself, lol) it's difficult for anyone to tell what apparatus was used.

I'm also one of those "mainstream product users" but I wouldn't want you to judge me for it, dear man, lol. The only thing I will blatantly promote wholeheartedly on this forum is ... HOSTA, HOSTA, HOSTA! :-)

Jo

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I understand,Jo. I am not promoting digital cameras,either,it's just what I have been using,and 35mm cameras before digital came on the scene. Sorry to be a pain. Phil

9 years ago

Pshaw! You can never be a pain - you're a "hosta buddy" just like i am, I hope and everyone else on here. ;-)

I'm going to see if a flower is open yet on Plantaginea...Barb's posting reminded me to "git the lead out and git out there"!

Have a great day, Everyone!

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If this thread has made some peeps more cognizant of the orientation of their photos before they press the button on their devices - then my job is done. Also, happy to say the word "snarky " will die with this thread, also. Peace....

DD

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

"KHAAAAAAN!!!!!"

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ROTFLMAO - Oh great, I just popped my stitches!!!

DD

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Snarky will never die. It's a perfect word for a certain behavior.

bk

9 years ago

I am sorry but despite the orientation of your photos. My Hostas look better than anyone's at the dump. And yes I had them on android.

SCG

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I have been waiting my whole life for a true point and click camera. The iPhone is close enough. If it's too much trouble to double click on a picture I post to right it, please skip my post. My skills don't lie in the geek area.
    Kathy
    As snarky as she gets.

9 years ago

Snarky is as snarky does. While I'm not sure of the true meaning of the word, I love it nonetheless. If Kathy is snarky it's good enough for me! If I ever introduce a hosta you can bet it will be Hosta Snarky.

Now will someone tell me how to post a pic upside down just so I can be über snarky? ;)

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snarky - Adjective

Easily irritated or annoyed
    Synonyms - choleric, crabby, cranky, cross, crotchety, fiery, grouchy, grumpy, irascible, peevish, perverse, pettish, petulant, prickly, quick-tempered, raspy, ratty, short-tempered, snappish, snappy, snarky, snippety, snippy, stuffy, testy, waspish

Hosta "Snarky" - Difficult to grow - and wouldn't get along with the other hostas in your garden - because it wants to be planted upside down. lol

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 21:09

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

"I PITY the fool who gets snarky when I'm around, mess wit MY Screen Actors Guild Approved Head Shot"!

Hey turn my damn pic right-side up, dirty libs!!! Im gunna bust you up!!!

"He can't be stopped. He can only be contained."-- Werner Von Braun