Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Small order from Naylor potted up

User
10 years ago

I browsed the Hosta Library Auctions a week or so ago, and ended up with 4 hosta from Naylor Creek. Not wanting them to feel lonesome on their trip across country to Alabama, I added a few more. So a total of nine new varieties added to the garden.

Johnny Angel...almost a gold

Earth Angel looking really vigorous and big...you guys did me in, I had to get it

Deane's Dream....look at that BLUE!

All 3 together so you get an idea of their size

Eye Catcher is a small, but it is living large in this picture

Little Hobber...all pebbled up, very dark, another small. LOVE the dark green small plants

Grey Ghost is a medium

Alligator Alley

LS Prophecy Fulfilled

Madam

And that is crushed red peppers in the pots. Part of my pecans are dropping now, and squirrels are beginning to bury some. The crushed is easier to sprinkle around than ground, which clumps up in our humidity. I neglected to wear gloves, and my hand got pretty warm from contact with the peppers. Hope the squirrels get a comeuppance!

Comments (13)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Very nice, Mocc. Great taste, as usual. I like this group of plants you got; I must admit my eyes keep going back to 'Alligator Alley'. Another plant for 'the list'? I think so. : )

Thanks for posting!

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, I like Alligator Alley too. It is reverse of Earth Angel, and the two look nice together....but then, they ALL look nice together to me.

Notice there are no fragrants in this order? New ones are hard to locate it seems. :)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Nice Moc! The Hosta Library Auction is dangerous, isn't it? I'm up to 5 new ones from NC myself!

• trudy_gw
    10 years ago

Nice plants from Naylor as usual! 'Madam' is going to take up a lot of space. Mine wasnt a fast grower but its huge now. Will measure, next time I walk by!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i like the tape

but what did you machete down for those fresh cut stakes????

ken

ps: love the logic.. i declare, sir.. i am done for the year .. but i will stop in the auction.. oh mighty me.. i won 4.. go figure on that.. since i tripled every current bid .... so i may as well not waste empty space in a shipping box.. and end up with 9 .... surprised you had the fortitude to stop at 9 ... or are they now out of current selections as you bought them out...???

crikey woman.. its like you are living my past life.. lol ....

• Lee
    10 years ago

Thats a lot of hot pepper flakes lol!!!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

You are going to love Lakeside Prophesy Fulfilled. It is one of my favorites. Good score Paula

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

I've resisted the auction so far this year, though have been tempted more than once. Have done my buying locally. But the season is not over yet!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I must say, as many hosta as I've acquired this season, I'm very surprised I haven't bid on anything at The Hosta Library Auction.

Mocc, if that's a 'small' order, I'd hate (LOVE) to see a big one!

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The HL Auction is deliciously dangerous, Flower!

Ken, I couldn't agree with you more, and if I relive a past life, I'd as soon it be yours. Got to be interesting! Those stakes are sections of bamboo canes I cut from our river lots a couple of weeks ago. I like the green ones, because I can bend them. If I'm using the leafy area of the canes, the limber tops, I can use that part for shade. Those were inserted as I filled the pots, and where there were two separately growing hosta eyes, I buried the bamboo between the two eyes, and fanned roots out on either side, 2 semi circles, no root damage. I'm also using the bamboo to hold up floppy scapes such as those on Victory.

I have a few nurseries on speed dial.... :) But this transaction was done silently, no chance to take Gary or Jack away from shipping all those auction winners out.

Ilovetogrow, it was probably your plant which led to Prophecy Fullfilled going on the short list. I thought the time was right to get it. As well as Earth Angel....both "lookers."

Trudy, please do check the size of Madam. I liked her looks, but haven't checked on her ultimate size. Which, it might not matter anyway, spending her life in a container may limit her ultimate size---if it's her nature to be big, all the more fun to grow her.

Melati, wear gloves when handling pepper. I miscalculated, thought just a little wouldn't matter. It does get hot to the skin. But those 9 and then a couple more retouched with pepper after all the rains we've had, it must be refreshed. I bought a 3 pound container like the stuff in a shaker at the pizza place...from Amazon, of course! McCormick. I also bought about 6 big jars of ground cayenne.....but it clumps up and gets moldy in the humidity here. It was EstherB in NYC who clued me on using the flakes, more durable. And yes, it is a LOT of pepper! My logic (and yes Ken, I am always thinking), is that if a little is good, a LOT is better. Especially on newly potted hosta, don't know how the squirrels can tell, but they really go after the new pots. Loose mix, even sitting there behind our deck, the brazen little things DUG EM UP when I did not use the pepper. Did not WAIT for me to put the pots in the Back40 along the Moonwalk. So took no chances this time.

DonB, you know this year was different for me, made a few large orders.....like 20 or more plants (don't mention a number out loud, my DH thinks 350 is still good.) Seldom do I have a chance to SEE the plant I'm getting, so the auctions make me happy. Only a couple of what I call "smaller" orders under TEN, let's say under TEN is a small order. I was UNDER TEN.......let's define our terms and agree that you seldom place "smaller" orders either.....ha? ha? am I right? :)

By the way, DonB, how many did you pick up today besides that Guacamole? hmmmmmm? Just a "smaller" amount? hehehehe

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL just a single 5 dollar 'Guacamole' was it. And a gallon pot of Lamium. Oh yeah, and a Heuchera. And THAT was it.

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the bamboo doesnt root???

ken

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ummmm, Ken, it has not rooted yet. I had not thought about it rooting, you know. But I guess we'll see.

The bamboo I grow is the clumping kind, not the running kind. I cut off the bottom, and then hack it into pieces the length I need. I even figured if I split the top of the cane, I can insert the name tag for the hosta and always have it visible when I take pictures. Or I can tape it vertically to the rounded cane.

The bottoms are not hard to extract from the pot, so I don't think any have tried to grow. I know they are green, but most have been cut with no roots....danged if I want to try to dig up any part of a clump of bamboo....that takes some axes and prybars and all sorts of sweating and I don't like that--especially where mosquitos are so thick they make a cloud, down by the riverside.

But, you bring up a good question and I will henceforth be alert to any signs of new growth. If I see it, you'll be the first to hear about it. Thanks for making me aware of it.

On a side note, once upon a time when I was a kid, my mother was fascinated by a mimosa tree. It was a fairly large diameter trunk, but almost no roots. She planted it, no leaves, no limbs--- heck a mimosa is a trash tree shortlived anyway. And it grew, to the amazement of the neighbors. One said if that grew, he was planting his broomstick. Very cantankerous trees though, and you don't want one.

My bamboo canes are the size of healthy diameter fishing poles, and about that long too. I did not cut the 2" diameter ones off the clump at the river. Only the ones I could access easily.....staying out of the middle of the clump which could host rattlers and water moccasins, don't chaknow....

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio