ÃÂ.ÃÂ

dave

Comments (66)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww!!!!!!!

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

How many pieces of toast does it take to build a dog house, if an elephant stands on a railroad track?

None, because ice cream doesn't have bones!

This post was edited by smithstudios71 on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 20:59

• hostanista
    10 years ago

WHAT????

• User
    10 years ago

Now THAT's GREAT EXPECTATIONS.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

This makes a nice wallpaper.

Guacamole Don ; P

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm out of this thread.

Paul

• nutmeg4061
    10 years ago

I can't stand Gold Standard. Just gave mine to a friend.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Bad hair day!

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 22:08

• nutmeg4061
    10 years ago

Also this.

:-)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I hope Ludi is OK. He hasn't posted anything in quite some time. Would be good to hear from him.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Think it'd be worthwhile to get a 'Fujibotan' and plant it in the fragrant bed, just to see if I could get some OP cross? Just thinking at the keyboard.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

I was just thinking today how the nose can discern fragrance down to wee parts per million. But then it gets accustomed to a scent quickly. Which indicates that we must plant regular NON fragrant hosta at intervals to give our noses a break.....then pop in another fragrant cluster of plants, so we continue to pick up the scent.

I discovered that the assassin bug nymphs in my garden at least have chosen Moonlight Sonata for a vote of early fragrant bloomer. Then they went with Lederhosen when it was in bloom. And now, despite all the rain, the assassin bug nymphs are choosing So Sweet's bloom scapes. I'll have to let BKay know her favorite fragrant hosta is among those chosen by the arbiters of fragrance in the insect kingdom. They know a good fragrance when they find it.

And another thing. Even with the rain coming hard and frequent today, I walked into my hosta garden and was met by the sweetest honey scent ever. Too pervasive to guess which hosta to give credit. I'd say it was layers of fragrance, not just one scent. I'm in heaven. My two gardening neighbors want to tour my garden. My DH thinks the garden is a work of art. I told him where the "sweet spot" is in the garden today, so he can see most everything without having to walk around. Exotic is a good word to describe the place.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Somehow I managed to grow Moonlight Sonata for many years without knowing it is fragrant. (It is several feet off the walkway - and equally close to the neighbor's dog run and garbage pails - not a place I tend to linger and test the air.

I was dividing it today and it is in bloom - nice fragrance. And it really is a striking big green-blue plant with interesting foliage.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Moonlight Sonata is one of my favorites by Beethoven.

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fluffy cows => fluffy hamburgers?

"Would you like some fluffy curly fries with that?"

McFluffies, your kind of place ...

ÃÂ.ÃÂ

dave

• tepelus
    10 years ago

A drawring I did back in December of last year of Oscar Wilde.

Karen

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

My favorite gardening tool is our old golf cart. It carries mulch, shovels, bags of compost, a trash can strapped on the back (where the golf clubs should go) for clippings and trash, my drink, and ME!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

"My two gardening neighbors want to tour my garden. My DH thinks the garden is a work of art." Moccasinlanding, I would feel like I was in heaven too!

Karen, you drew that picture? Awesome.

I like this:

10 years ago

How many times do I get to hijack this thread?

Here is a picture my son took of a bird outside of his window. It is one of many. We enjoy feeding the birds, and he happens to have a dead tree branch just outside his window. He wouldn't want me posting his picture, but what he won't know won't hurt him! Besides he has given me the bird pictures to make a collage. So then I didn't really steal it, did I?

• User
    10 years ago

He looks like a member of the woodpecker family to me. My reference book is packed away so I cannot look it up.

I took a picture of a huge butterfly on a palm frond this week, between rains. Overcast day but it spread those wings to dry facing toward where the sun should have been. I tiptoed closer and closer snapping as I went, this was the best shot before he flew away. He needed the rest I think.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Thanks, newhostalady. Yes, I did draw that. And I believe the bird in your son's photo is a female Downy woodpecker. Males have the red patch on the back of their heads, females don't.

Idiothe, Oscar Wilde had a lot of great quotes.

Karen

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

I pulled up ragweed and red clover today. One of them left the smell of men's cologne on my hands.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Cologne and perfume gives me headaches. I was at work the other day and someone sprayed perfume in the hallway--instant headache.

Karen

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

How about a ride on my 1/3rd scale Sopwith pup?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrB3mkjhsMY

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah, i had a co-worker bring tuna to work
    I retaliated with a peanut butter and red onion sandwich
    ... and then the battery backup thing screamed all day

dave

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Level headed frog

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I was totally consumed and enjoying these hijacks - until I took a casual sip of my coffee and it contained a drowned fly I hadn't noticed because of the hijacks. Fortunately I spit out the fly so it wasn't totally consumed. Neither was the rest of the coffee.

Theresa :-( ugh

10 years ago

"out the fly so it wasn't totally consumed"??? OMG you ate some fly!

When I was in basic in the Army we were training with foxholes and grenades. My job was to jump into the foxhole and yell out loud 'area secure'. I had bronchitis when I went through training so I had to breath deep before talking. Sucking in a mass volume of wind I also ended up with horsefly in my mouth. Now I laugh about it. All I could do was cough and spit. Thank you for the memory. Paula

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

It's a downy woodpecker. We have them here. The males have a small red dot on the back of the head.

bk

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

capt kirt sport

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

best buddys

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Shirly d& Van Wade @ Hosta zcollege

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Shirly d& Van Wade @ Hosta zcollege

{{!gwi}}

• User
    10 years ago

Way cool, HH. Thanks for the picture of the Wades. I always like to know who I am talking to when I call in an order.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

That hosta matches my eyes, mom!

10 years ago

Our last budgie was a wonderful bird. He liked to watch TV with us in the family room; he liked to eat people food (especially my husband's) and he would "dance" with me. He would be on my shoulder and I would begin to dance like crazy. I would stop intermittently to give him a chance to fly away. He didn't! He died during a procedure at the vet's.

So if you know birds (especially budgies), they do not like to go under things or into things. But my daughter's bag of Cheddar Bunnies must have been irresistible!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

A yellow Belamcanda I thought I lost...and another one in another area of the garden...odd things going on, but all good! This is companion to Plantaginea
    At the moment.

Karen, amazing and impressive drawing. A hosta lover and Artist to boot...hats off to your talent and thanks for sharing and getting to know you more. :-)

Newhostalady, nice post :-)
    Level headed frog is adorable...how did he get in there?????lol

This post was edited by josephines67 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 10:13

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

No hosta in our neighbor's yard

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Lee "papercrete" Coates - Hosta College 2011

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Lee "papercrete" Coates - Hosta College 2011

{{!gwi}}

10 years ago

Nelson last may. No collage here.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Awwww, love kitties!!! Delaware Donna and Ilovetogrow......love your adorable cats...chillin' out!

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

And I bet they both would love Budgie. Mine was named Pudgie. I'd come home and she would meet me with "Pretty Pudgie, pretty Pudgie, pretty, pretty, pretty Pudgie" and she wasn't commenting on my appearance. She was the same color as yours N'H'L'. And yes, female Budgies can talk.
    That's if they have a good role-model. LAMS

Theresa Ann

PS/ my newest diet doesn't include flies.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Thanks, Josephine! I wish I had the desire to draw more often, but it comes around so sparingly nowadays. When I was little, right through and a few years after school, I was always drawing or painting. Now I don't seem to have the time or motivation. I started the outline of my newest project, but we'll see how far I go before I give up, but hopefully I won't. A drawing like Oscar's takes me hours to do, and now that I'm working full time I won't be able to work for hours at a time like I did with him, which helps keep me motivated to finish versus only putting in an hour or two a day. We shall see though. I may have to make myself finish.

Karen

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

but wait, there's more ...

oh yeah!

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

dave

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Knock Knock - Whose there? Jack

Hi Jack!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I still get a laugh out of Leafwatcher's mislabeled 'Dream Queen' he got at Lowe's. They still don't sell this at my local Lowe's. I check every day.

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

DD - DON'T do that at an airport, eh?