Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Post your Rhino Hide Pictures

Gesila
11 years ago

I've seen Rhino Hide for sale in 12 different states across the US and can't find one that looks like Don Rawson's original. Who else has Rhino Hide? Post your pictures so we can compare.

Here's a picture of my two. I'm wondering if they'll look more like Don's when they grow up. In any event, I'm loving both of them!

Here's the one I bought in New York:

Here's the one I bought in Michigan:

Gesila

Comments (12)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Just a baby plant in a spin out bag. Lost its scape to a bunny.

Steve

• newhostaaddict
    11 years ago

here's my "Rhino Hide",,,just a baby this year,,,
    jill

• swed_hosta
    11 years ago

That hosta is one of my favorites. Here it is in it's second summer in my garden. Photo was taken last Saturday, August 18.

• lavenderlver
    11 years ago

Those are gorgeous!

Swed, I love your grouping, what's that peeking out on the left?

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Here's a new tiny Rino Hide sharing a basket with 'Sharp Dressed Man' and 'Candy Dish'.

{{gwi:1072952}}

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Gesila, neither one of those looks like Rhino Hide to me, especially the first one.

Deanna

• User
    11 years ago

Okay, I have ONE, and I like it. Always nice to have others to compare with. If I'm getting more than one of a variety, I like to buy from different sources, to see what the plant looks like from another nursery.

Mine came from Naylor, got it in May. Here it is in June, and it is still blue.

Here it is in July, after we've had a lot of rain daily. Note the bright yellow center on one leaf. Don told me that it was a bit "slow" to get going, but then it would grow faster after that. I have an indication in THIS photo that it can do some interesting color variations too. And still blue hanging on.

• swed_hosta
    11 years ago

lavenderlver, that's Diana Remembered, my only perfumed hosta that is blooming right now.

• lavenderlver
    11 years ago

Thank you!

• donrawson
    11 years ago

Rhino Hide will stay quite blue if it's sited in a fair amount of shade. If grown in bright sunlight, the blue will turn green and the center will brighten up...just like most hostas would do.

As far as the variegation pattern, the tc plants vary somewhat...I've noticed some tc plants which have a narrow gold center (like the OS stock) while others have a wide gold center, and still others exhibit very dramatic gold streaking throughout the leaf. I suspect there will be less noticeable differences, however, when these tc plants begin to mature, but only time will tell.

The growth rate is moderate to slow...but not as slow as Tokudama Aureonebulosa. It is a dependable grower, however...not finicky like Great Expectations. If your Rhino Hide has not sent out multiple eyes in every direction, don't worry. From what I've seen, single-eye Rhino Hide plants often remain as a single eye for 2 or 3 years. Then a second and third eye will sprout. At that stage, Rhino Hide will begin to add more eyes readily.

To speed up the growth, I recommend siting your young Rhino Hide in full sun, or at least bright indirect sunlight. Water and fertilize it well. Then after a few years, after it has developed into a nice-size plant, move it to a somewhat shadier location where it will maintain the powdery deep-blue appearance and look superb.

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

sorry, no pic.... and it's dark outside, so I can't go out.

Mine is in a LOT of sun. It's more green/gold rather than blue/green. It's been in a lot of sun since I got it in 2010 and it has put on a few eyes, slowly, but nonetheless. Leaves aren't terribly big, but it's still a good solid plant.

• jarih Hynninen
    11 years ago

I got my Rhino Hide yesterday.

Today I planted it quite deep shadow. Next year it will be something very nice...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths