Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ci_lantro

All That Jazz-other hosta companions?

ci_lantro
10 years ago

Need suggestions for hostas that will complement All That Jazz. (New front yard bed between two oak trees.) I'm stumped as to the color that All That Jazz 'reads'. Mine, which is new, has only three leaves and I 'think' it looks silvery and olivey. Have a mature Good as Gold & mature Big Daddy that need to be moved to make way for fragrants (expanding back yard bed between pine trees).

Other hostas 'in stock' that can be easily relocated are:

On Stage
Christmas Tree
Alex Summers
Yellow River
Abba Dabba Do
Wide Brim
Krossa Regal
Love Pat
Patriot
August Moon
Sun Power
Tokudama Aureonebulosa
Alex Summers
Potomac Pride
Abiqua Moonbeam
Noid dark green w/ yellow margins similar to fortunei Aureomarginata (more narrow margins)

The new bed is 27' long with about 9' between the two large oak trees. 10.5' across and about 4' on either end beyond the oaks. High dappled shade all day & very little, if any, direct sun.

So, what combinations of these hostas do you think would look good with All That Jazz. Of course, I'm always open to suggestions of other hostas that I don't already have, too!

Comments (3)

• User
    10 years ago

I'm partial to the golds to brighten up a bed without confusing the eye. So that means Sun Power and August Moon for sure.
    Between the two oaks sounds like adequate shade. I haven't seen a Yellow River, but I like the sound of it.

So....you are making room for the fragrants, eh? I like that a lot. There are some really fine new fragrants being introduced that go well with the basic greenie. When you are ready to get suggestions there, all us fans of Mama and her clan will be around to put in a name or two.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I would agree that your golds would contrast wonderfully with 'All That Jazz'. I think ATJ will be impressive enough to hold her own with bright plants. 'All That Jazz' will be spectacular when mature. We'll have to compare notes in the coming seasons, as I believe we may have divisions from the same clump (Green Mountain?) bought within a couple weeks of each other, I think. : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

P.S.: I know, I've posted this pic a few times. I may post it a few more times. Pretty positive this'll be a favorite in a few years.

• ci_lantro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Don, mine came from Green Mtn., too. The plant that I rec'd had been planted too deep so I had a single eyed plant with so-so roots and then a clump below that with a lot more roots and 5-6 (at least) dormant eyes. After debating about it for a few days, I ended up cutting off the leaved plant and roots and potted it up. The remaining leafless clump of roots also got potted in a separate pot...I'm keeping that one under cover so I can control the moisture it gets, keeping it a bit on the dry side so it doesn't rot. Hopefully that one will be really nice clump in a couple of years. I'm expecting immature leaves for a year or two. Maybe I'll get surprised!

Mocc, I love the fragrant hostas. I have a bunch of those that I just got from Green Mtn, Hallson's and Northern Grown Perennials.

No one talks about NGP much but I got terrific multi-eyed plants (mature divisions) from them as well as a huge bonus plant (Love Pat.) I was very much impressed with the quality & size of the plants. Ordering process is a bit awkward but it's well worth the xtra bit of effort.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus