Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidney1515

Majesty, Liberty, and Magic Fire

sidney1515
14 years ago

Majesty, Liberty, and Magic Fire. . do you like one more than the other? Why? I would love to see your pictures rather young plants or mature.

When I first got Majesty I was gobsmacked every spring. . I still am. . only now Liberty is getting older and nicer. I just got Magic Fire last year and think it is soooo pretty. Pleeeeeese share your photos and opinions.

Comments (16)

• User
    14 years ago

Oh Wow!

• candicenovitzke
    14 years ago

I really have fallen for this group of hostas lately. Saw some big ones for the first time last weekend.

What's strange is I purchased "magic fire" but the big specimen i saw there looked more like your "majesty" specimen than "magic fire." The "liberty" i saw was more blue looking, i thought. how much light does yours get?

at any rate, they're all gorgeous. can't wait until mine gets big!

• sidney1515
    Original Author
    14 years ago

candicenovitzke. . .Good eye!! My Liberty gets tons of sun! I lost the tree nearby it in a storm last year. :(

• summermusicz4ia
    14 years ago

My Majesty grew large quickly, is stunning. Liberty just sits there, gets plenty of sun, suspect a tree root under it. Will move it this fall, hope that helps. Had not seen a sizeable Magic Fire before, your pic looks great.

• slp0100
    14 years ago

Majesty just moved to the top of my wish list!!!

My Liberty(corner pocket)is new this year...can't wait till it grows up.

• candicenovitzke
    14 years ago

Here's the gorgeous specimen of 'Liberty' I photographed at Witt's Hostas last weekend, before my camera battery died :-( Might have to make another trip out soon... It's a hosta paradise.

{{gwi:1075231}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1075231}}

• chris-e
    14 years ago

WOW, all I can say is that I have Liberty, just bought it this year, and now I want the other two! : )

christine

• pagrdnr
    14 years ago

Are all 3 of them sagae sports?
    What about ivory coast....anyone have a pic of that one?

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

if they're all Sagae sports, why wouldn't they be the same sport? why different names? i've never understood that. sorry.
    Pat

• candicenovitzke
    14 years ago

Well, think of the "sports" as children (which they are, I guess). They all share basic characteristics but are different. Each one that's "different" gets its own name. I'm really no expert, but the sports vary in color, margin width, etc. from the parent plant.

Having different names really makes it easier for us hostaphiles to keep track of our collections :-)

• donrawson
    14 years ago

They're all fabulous hostas and every hosta lover ought to have ONE...they're so close to the same, why get all three...maybe spend your money on something else? Here are pics of my Liberty:

Liberty, Spring 2008

Liberty, Spring 2009

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

Great pictures, don and candice. Unfortunately, because Majesty apparently grows faster than Liberty, I'm now on another obsessive search, thanks to this post. I bot Liberty last weekend as my memorial to Papou and thought I was done for the year. Grrrrr.

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

P.S. sidney is a troublemaker!

• tepelus
    14 years ago

Yes, sidney is a trouble maker, and because of this post, I bought Majesty last week, and just got it today...yipee! :)

Karen

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

Karen, I didn't want to know that. Now I've got to search for it. Damn.

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Oh, I swear, I am gonna stop coming here.
    I still have 4-6,that need to be planted,now*********
    I must have Majesty and Magic Fire.
    Sidny, you are a trouble maker!!!!!!!!!
    In a good way,:0)
    I think,
    cAROL

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH