Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanovice

Hosta Newbie Needs Help!!

hostanovice
9 years ago

Hello hosta forum! We just purchased a new home and with it came a very extensive hosta collection. I am guessing we have about 500 hosta plants and at least 100 different varieties. I have tried to jump in head first and I am enjoying my plants but as you can imagine I have a ton of questions (most probably dumb ones) so I came here for help.

1. How do I even begin to try to identify all these things?!?! With thousands of varieties I can't just browse the identification directories clicking on pictures looking for plants that appear familiar. And I don't want to post a pic of each one here looking for your expertise to ID each one. Isn't there somewhere I can select the different characteristics (color(s), size, flower, etc) and get results of possible matches based on my inputs? Any other ideas welcome!

2. It appears that slugs are eating my hostas. I will try to post a pic for verification but I have caught a bunch with beer traps. Again, suggestions welcome!

3. My first dumb question - how do I know if a really small plant is a mature mini plant or just a baby larger variety?? I will attempt to post a pic of 2 of the plants in question. They are very small (6" high, about 12-16" around), but they look very full and also flower so I am not sure.

I will also attempt to post a few pics of hostas I hope to ID to start the process. Here is the order I will post pics if I am unable to label them individually.

1&2 - just a few of parts of my hosta garden
3 - 2 of the very small plants I am referring to. Are these full grown and can you tell what variety they are?
4 - do these holes look like slug holes and does anybody know the name of this hosta?
The remainder I am just looking to ID

Thank you all very much for your help and I look forward to learning much more about my new hobby and contribute back to the group in the near future!!

Comments (25)

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hostas

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Small hostas

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slugs?

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking for ID on this one

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ID also

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Welcome, You certainly inherited a wonderful collection. The two small ones are just that, small hosta. They appear to be mature.

Slug/snail holes are usually small. There are strategies for removing the living/breeding places to cut down your population. Pull the mulch back to the drip line of the hosta. Water in the morning, so that everything has time to dry out before evening has been suggested. Going out in the evening with a 10% vinegar solution in a spray bottle has been suggested. My 10 year old neighbor boy likes to salt them when he finds them. Coffee grounds and egg shells have been suggested. Lots of folks use Bug Getta and Bug Getta plus, others say it just attracts them.

Your slug eaten hosta appears to be Paradigm. However, I'm not the best person for ID's

When you use a tablet, it sometimes appears sideways or upside down to us desktop users. If you will keep your button on the right, it should appear upright to everyone.

We (I mean they) can probably identify most of your hosta. Solid colors can sometimes be difficult. Just be sure to get the flower photos while you can as that will help with getting a good ID on some of the more difficult ones. It's best to put only one or two hosta in each request for ID's. It cuts down on scrolling up and down to see which one is which.

Again, welcome.

bk

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

Welcome to the hosta sanitarium!

Looks like the last picture you posted could be Abba Dabba Do.

I also wanted to say how lucky you are to jump right in to collecting hosta with what you have already.

This post was edited by smithstudios71 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 14:08

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Nice to have inherited such a nice garden! The first thing you have to master is to post pics upright,so we don't have to crane our neck,looking sideways. Other than that,good luck! Phil

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm, maybe it's cause I'm using my iPad? They are all straight to me! I'll have to check so they look right for everybody, I have also read about hosta viruses - does this picture look concerning to anybody or is this plant just thirsty? Thanks everybody!!

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

Look like a big, mature, envy creating clump of Great Expectations to me.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Take a look at June and Grand Tiara for a couple of your pics. Concur with Abba Dabba Do, GE and Paradigm ids.

Paul

Last pic is sideways as well.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi, and oh boy did you inherit a wonderful hosta garden. I am into hosta since 2012, have about that many 500 different varieties, but none are near the maturity you have from the git-go. I'd have been tempted to buy that house for the hosta!

If you stick around here long, you'll discover that the Great Expectations hosta is quite difficult to grow, and while yours shows predation by a worm (not a virus), it looks to be very happy otherwise.

Welcome to the forum where hosta are KING/QUEEN. Look forward to seeing more of your treasures.

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the help! We plan to split and sell some of these, any idea how I can find out if some of my hostas are worth more than others? Also, I see starter and young hostas going for around $5-$10, generally speaking should a split off a fully mature plant cost more or less??

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hey

is this house in indy???

that garden looks vaguely familiar ...

too many IDs in one post.. posts are free... so no need to make any given post so large ...but i dont have lots to time to scroll up and down ... my best suggestion is about 3 per post ...

as far as i am concerned.. and 100 dollar hosta without a name tag.. is a 5 dollar hosta ... not that i see any hundred dollar ones.. but not many.. on our level, are going to pay more for such .. though i understand.. you wont be marketing to us ...

a division is a division.. it isnt worth more.. because you cut it off a large plant ..

i know there were more questions at the top ... but i dont have time this evening ...

i am blanking on who that wonderful woman was... if this is her garden ...

there is an FAQ on slugs.. both in this forum.. and the garden clinic ....

ken

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tips Ken! I will be keeping my ID posts to a few when I post again. So a 1 yr old hosta plant typically has the same value as a division from a 5 yr mature hosta? I don't want to try to overcharge any customers so I am trying to figure out how to price mine correctly

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and this is in MN, not Indy.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Where are you in MN? I'm in Maplewood(NE Metro), if you have questions on ID's and about hosta, it might be easier to answer some things in person. I'd give you a hand and answer some hosta basics.

Before you divide, there are also some basic procedures you want to be aware of regarding dividing hostas. Hosta Virus X can be spread if you don't clean tools properly between hostas.

If interested, send me a note to my email (linked to my GW acct)....be sure to include your email if you do, else I won't be able to reply.

Welcome to the forum from another Leo (see you have a BDay coming up).

Paul

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Do you know the former owner and if so may be able to ID a lot of the hosta if they are living close by or not deceased. Man, you got a real haul with that many hosta.. lucky you

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Pic 5 & 6 are June and Grand Tiara, pic 9 looks like GE.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Now that's lucky to start out with such a pretty yard with a lot of very nice hostas already thriving.

Pic # 3, small hostas with narrow leaves and white edges, looks like you have a couple of Stilettos in the front.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Let us know how the sale goes. For years I divided and pot 100+ for our church country store. They sell them for under a dollar a piece. It didn't matter which ones I divided or how big the division. I no longer bother. The dirt and pots are worth more than that!! With all the virus/weed/bug issues in the world of gardening I wouldn't buy one for more than a dollar either.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

dont know the place.. sorry

ken

• schoolb1
    9 years ago

Welcome Newbie! My goodness you sure lucked out with this garden. It takes most of a while to collect so many hosta's.

• dhaven
    9 years ago

I agree with the June, Stiletto, Abba Dabba Do, Grand Tiara identifications. The Paradigm is unclear, there are too many potential look alikes to be sure of that one.

I strongly disagree with the Great Expectations id. The plant looks to be fairly mature, the leaves should be much rounder, and GE has very pale yellow/cream scapes and seed pods, this plant appears to have considerably darker scapes and pods. Also, unless this plant is in full sun, the center color would be much more yellow/gold. Plant habit appears off as well, but it's harder to judge that from this photo.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH