Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterflies are attracted to hosta

Posted by Brandys_garden 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 12:41

It is said that songbirds, hummingbirds, and butterflies are among the WELCOME guests that are attracted to hosta.... Well, I've had plenty of all 3 this season! But here is a beautiful butterfly on Bressingham Blue yesterday!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterflies are attracted to hosta

It makes me so happy when I see hummingbirds and butterflies amongst my plants, but the butterflies are drawn more to the liatris than they are the hostas.
However the bumblebees are so funny and cute when they crawl waaaay up into those hosta flowers and hang out in there for a while.

o

Normally, the butterflies like the more bright and yellowish (that I've noticed) in my hostas... They usually like Summer Breeze, Fire Island and Grand Tiara the best.
I've seen lots of bumblebee's too! They are cute! Here it is again.

o

I've had a few butterflies this year, too. The one that got away, so to speak, was a Luna Moth. I'd actually never seen one in person before, but she was a bit skittish and camera shy. Did capture this guy a few days ago, though. He was hanging out in front of Lakeside Shore Master
20140810_164207.jpg
20140810_164317.jpg

o

Brandy and Funn, your butterfly shots are beautiful!

o

I'm looking forward to the monarch butterflies any time now! I've seen the one you got a shot of, Funn... And some yellow ones and several luna moths. Butterflies and hummingbirds are the hardest to photograph in my experience because they flit from one to the next so fast!

o

isnt brandys a moth???

i dont know.. i am asking

the fragrants also attract hummingbirds ... and those moths that look like hummers ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here