Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Off Topic - Fire pictures

Posted by mctavish6 4/5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 12:46

There are many forest fires in BC right now. About 20 started last Friday night with a huge lightening storm. It was also raining buckets so how new one's started I don't understand. Anyway, one was dirrectly west of us, across the bit of lake that we see from the balcony. It was 39 hectares on Saturday night but with the wind grew to over 700 by last night. It is a rural area but there are quite a few people on evacution alert. It is about 1/2 hour from here.

The first picture shows our "normal" sunset view in early Aug. The next picture shows the flames which were clearly visable on Saturday night. I didn't use a tripod, in fact my first attempt at picture that night were of the house lights down in Canoe.

The third picture is during the day yesterday when the smoke was unbelievable so I mostly stayed inside.

Fortunately the wind was not too bad last night and the fire didn't seem to grow like it did the night before.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Off Topic - Fire pictures

How horrible for all of you who have to experience it. Mother Nature can be cruel sometimes. Hopefull all you will have to contend with is the smoke.

Connie

o

• Posted by hey_j 6 Dayton Oh. (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 13:40

Oh my!! I hope you have air conditioning and can get some clean air to breathe!!!

o

• Posted by patann Z5 AnnArborMI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 14:08

Will be thinking of you, McT.

o

Thank you guys. It's not so bad today so I think I can do something outside a bit later.

Air conditining??? Ha. We call them windows. We have to be careful because most of our windows don't have screens. It's not the bugs I worry about but Bo, the cat. There are rooms we don't want him in and he refuses to accept that. The screens are not 100% because he sometimes goes right through them.

o

Mctavish - my thoughts are with you - we experienced bush fires when I lived in Australis. It is terrifying - hope the flames are under control now.
Jakki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here