Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Dictionary ... new for you ... or a recap

Posted by josephines67 5 ON (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 12:52

Here is a quick reference for newbies and anyone else who wants to brush up on hosta terminology....quick link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Dictionary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Dictionary ... new for you ... or a recap

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 14:19

Thank you for that, Jo. I've been "incorrect" for years. No more pips for me, now they are shoots, and an eye only is the dormant bud, not the shoot with leaves. At one time I referred to their "noses" poking up thru the soil.

--Babka

o

Thanks, Jo. Read and book - marked. Can never remember the names of the flower parts. Now I have an easy reference. I don't know if I can stop "pipping" though.

o

How come "rugose" is not in the dictionary when describing leaf texture - but puckering is? Where does the word "rugose" derive?

DD

o

DD, the dictionary contains corrugated, a synonym. Both rugose and corrugated are derived from the Latin 'ruga' meaning wrinkle. That's what my iMac dictionary says. Hope that helps.

Corrected spelling of dictionary. My spelling's getting worse with age.

This post was edited by irawon on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 21:21

o

bump

o

Thanks for the link Jo. I wasn't aware of it. Nice to known all the correct terms. Glad you bumped the thread Ken.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here