Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogirlterri

Pictures of Diseased Hostas please

gogirlterri
10 years ago

I've touched on my having put together a binder with pictures of sick hostas to use in trying to educate others to the threat of viruses,, etc. But there are very few sources of pictures available. I know many of us here on HFGW have photos of what looks diseased, and some which are no more than sun scorch or freeze/frost damage.

Could perhaps you post the ones you have tested or have had tested confirming the viruss and other diseases. Asking whether a hosta looks diseased is probably only outnumbered in postings by people looking to have an NOID identified for them. A thread on visually obvious leaf damage could go a long way in helping out folks.. Selfishly I want to enlarge my binder to stick in people face whe are selling sick hostas..

Maybe just for my self satisfaction by creating for them as much discomfort as I can.

Theresa

Comments (32)

• trudy_gw
    10 years ago

Do a Google search, one can find many photos. Also at the top of the page on the link, click on images-there are many photos, then click on the photo link to get explanation of photo.
    Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pix of viruses and diseased hostas

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

sad to say these three are hosta virus plants. Although large and "healthy looking" & not anywhere in the garden or where they would cause other damage.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

These were bought when I was learning what all the new hosta were and thought these were so different . Good to have discovered before they came out of pots and into hosta beds

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

This last one I have who I think was Chrismas tree comes out looking so perfect and then when the leaf matures it gets all crinkley and shrivelly looking. None have never been tested but took the word of two ladies that know their hosta. Myrle and her sister

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Go to Hosta Library - on main page is a link to HVX with 3 pages of pics you can use.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Virus X

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

not sick, 'Xanadu Paisley'

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

not sick - 'Filagree'

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

not sick - 'Cynthia'

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

not sick - 'Filagree' again

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

not sick - 'Lakeside Shadows'

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

not sick - 'Sharmon'

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

not sick - 'Cynthia' again

{{!gwi}}

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow HH. Those would have fooled me. I probably would have passed on them.

Steve-I've already downloaded the ones you've linked and in past forum postings they have helped me identify tomatoe virus. It is a good line for those of us who haven't gone there. Thanks.

My recently befriended Cheryl has a yard full of hostas of many kinds and is not up to snuff on viruses, etc. After visiting my gardens she is becoming more active in collecting and I fear she may buy some sick hostas because they look different. Sad but possible.

She called yesterday and wants to bring a friend of hers over to visit my hosta gardens. Her friend is into hybridizing other perennials but is not particularly "hosta savy". I feel an obligation to provide what I can.

HH, I think what 'looks' weird and isn't should be as much of my binder as those that really are. I appreciate your having recognized this in my request. I don't care if this string becomes miles long. We need to be together in doing something like this. IMO

Theresa

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

This hosta predates my current passion, so I don't even know what variety it was. But it was my quest to ID it that led me to this forum and the hosta library. It was never tested, but I don't suppose anyone would disagree with a virus diagnosis. Certainly was interesting.
    Jan

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Tobacco Rattle on a noid. Adios Plant.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Another.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

almosthooked, look at the Hosta Library for wrinkled leaves of hosta 'Christmas Tree' They are to be wrinkled as they mature, same as humans.
    I would only throw out hostas for HVX after a HVX test is positive. I recently tested thumbnail size areas of 2 mature 'August Moon' which had spots off veins with bleeding green on yellow, but no HVX.

I have leaves of 'Guacamole', 'Avocado' and 'Holy Mole' which are similar to what HH shows, green and yellow colors intermixing.
    Bernd

• User
    10 years ago

Okay, Theresa, I have a whole album on Flickr devoted to diseased hosta pictures. I'll give you the link below and include some of the photos to illustrate.

Fried Bananas 2013 . virus but not HVX

Guacamole 2013

Fried Green Tomatos 2013

and I had Venus last year that got a funny virus but not HVX. Only, my pictures were lost for 2012 mostly, and I sent it back to the nursery which grew it on, and was testing it this season.

Strangely enough, all were fragrant hosta. All showed no signs (that I recognized) last year (my first year growing hosta). It showed up in April and May of this year for the ones I picture above. Sad to lose these nice ones which looked ready to leap to me.

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jan-I remember seeing a hosta listed in Hostapedia that looked like the one you've posted, and Zilis commented it was probably hvx infected that caused it's unusual coloration. I can't say for sure because I don't own Hostapedia-had it from my Library who borrowed it from a library in Iowa.

I am very passionate about this because I am hosta gardening on a very limited budget. Having my gardens infested with any virus may make my plants irreplaceable. I only manage 4-5 new hostas a year. My 2012 total loss to squirrels was really sad. I don't expect a duplicate this year. The Walnut tree is so heavily laden with walnuts I have to duck uner the branches to weed Theresa's Angel Garden. I just hope they don't break. But I now have a large new area under canopy to plant hostas next year.

I feel wholesalers and retailers who don't care if they market diseased hostas about the same as people who sell drugs to children. We don't need people so greedy and they should have to pay for their greed, not get rich by it. Sorry for my soap-boxing, but that is how I feel.

Theresa Ann

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of 'Gold Standard' that I took at my local Home Depot. The department of agriculture went and inspected the store. This plant, among others, tested positive for HVX.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

HH,

I'd be willing to bet that some of those plants do have virus, but that it hasn't been discovered yet or is non-communicable. I do remember one person posting here that their plant of Cynthia did test positive for Cucumber Mosaic virus.

Do you know if any of the plants you posted can pass on those traits to their progeny through seed? If they can then those traits are likely not be caused by virus. If they can't then I'd be suspicious of them. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's usually a duck.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 9:15

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

ggt-

found a sick one today - a 'Fragrant Bouquet'

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

same plant different leaf

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

same plant - classic tissue collapse between veins

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

same plant - classic tissue collapse between veins

{{!gwi}}

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

This is Paul's Glory. It is stressed, but not HVX infected. I tested it. It looked normal the next year. Notice that the "bleeding" is not on the veins.

bk

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

This is Diamond Tiara. Chris said it had a virus, but not HVX.
    (No one would buy this, though.)

bk

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of my Gold Standard,which has been growing in my garden for many years. Phil

{{gwi:943758}}

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks, Phil. By keeping your HVX plant you can observe what happens to it as time goes by. Is that your thinking?

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Phil - if I hadn't just used my last Agdia test strip I'd send it to you ^_^

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Ya'll just don't understand! I don't care if it grows there forever. It doesn't hurt anyone,or any other hosta. I just keep it to aggravate everyone! I could have dug it up a long time ago. Phil

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of a HVX infected Wolverine. I didn't have it tested, but Chris from Hallson's told me the bad news.

And Phil, your Gold Standard looks very interesting and has an intriguing color to it. I can understand that you would like to keep it since you have lots of room and it can't infect other hostas. I thought I remembered (on another thread) that you have had it for many years. It looks quite small if that it so.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus