Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilfarmgirl

How to Care for My New Hosta

LilFarmGirl
9 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum, just joined today. I am also a new hosta lover. Here are my first Hosta plants. Any advice on how to care for them and where I can find some free seeds?

Comments (8)

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum lil farm girl and congrats on your new hosta additions. There's a seemingly endless supply of new hosta's being introduced so you'll never lack for want. Hosta's are very easy to care for. Just give them good soil and drainage, water well and most prefer shade, but like anything there are exceptions to that rule. Slugs seem to be the worst pest problem and while I don't like using chemicals in the yard the one I do use is a slug bait called deadline that is very effective. Have fun with your new babies!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Lilfarmgirl. And welcome to the world of hostas; You may not know it yet, but you just fell down the rabbit hole... Did you grow some of those from seed?

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Here's a link about growing hostas from seed. I could type it out, but I'm lazy. Just wanted to point out, the first two paragraphs (AFTER the title "How I Grow Hosta Seed") are very telling regarding the type of plants you'll probably get from seed. That said, a lot of people grow some great plants from seed. Have fun.

Cheers,
    Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Seed Growers Info

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Welcome Lilfarmgirl. Are you planning on growing your hostas in the garden or in pots? They do great either way with a little special care.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

What's your zone lilfarmgirl? Caring for hosta in Minnesota is quite different from Mobile, Alabama. And would you believe it's pretty different in Mobile than Dallas, Texas. Also, a zone 8 in Texas is different than zone 8 in Washington state.

If you are interested in growing from seed, there is a bunch of information on the hosta library. There is a link to the hosta seed growers forum and lots of general information about seed growing.

Let us know where you are and whether you will grow in pots or in the ground. We can do a better job of helping you with that information.
    bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hi

welcome...

are you aware.. that hosta do not come true from seed ... but for one or two ... ????

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'll have seed I'll be glad to send you when they get ripe. They are just everyday seed, however. It's almost assured that you will get solid color blue, green or yellow from them. (Only seed from streakers will yield variegated hosta, generally speaking.) Others who have "better" seed will sometimes share as well. You'll find them on the seed forum.

bk

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. Mac48035 I will check out Lowes and my local hardware for the deadline. I already saw a few slugs. Don, I got the ones in the 2 larger pots and the 4 gray pots from my great grand aunt. I needed more so I separated them and put them in different pots. The ones in the small pots in the back are from Walmart. The link you posted is great and helpful, thanks.
    Bkay2000, I am in zone 8 (SC) and growing in pots for right now because I thought you had to wait until September to put them in the ground. I can't wait to get some of your seeds. I will also look in the seed forum. Ken, I was not aware that Hosta did not grow true the their parent. Thanks everyone.